Options

I'd like to get BT Vision - but can I get it?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    AikenDrum wrote: »
    I regularly use http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk,
    and I've only ever seen 1700 - 1800 kbps at all different times of day. My current provider is PlusNet.

If I did move to BT Broadband, would my line go through the whole retraining thing to obtain the best possible line speed, and would this improve things?
    I ran this and got 2823kbps - then speedtest.net and got 5182kbps - BT usually give higher speeds but it is less than 3hours since my last test which gave ~6800kbps.

Methinks BroadbandMaX have a vested interest in making your speed low! - and your current ISP is throttling your connection.

I have had trouble lately and the system seems to entrain to high speed at a cold or warm re-boot of the HH. eg I had 1700 downstream - a warm reboot (after fiddling with the microfilter) and immediately 6,944kbps (and 6800 on the BT test). 'BT' have always said to me that retraining takes about 3days - experience says about 5 minutes.

Perhaps this varies with the exchange equipment?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I ran this and got 2823kbps - then speedtest.net and got 5182kbps - BT usually give higher speeds but it is less than 3hours since my last test which gave ~6800kbps.

Methinks BroadbandMaX have a vested interest in making your speed low! - and your current ISP is throttling your connection.

I have had trouble lately and the system seems to entrain to high speed at a cold or warm re-boot of the HH. eg I had 1700 downstream - a warm reboot (after fiddling with the microfilter) and immediately 6,944kbps (and 6800 on the BT test). 'BT' have always said to me that retraining takes about 3days - experience says about 5 minutes.

Perhaps this varies with the exchange equipment?

Speedtest.net tried to tell me i have 80Mbit/s of downstream yesterday (I wish) bbmax is ok sometimes and useless at others.

Could say that for most speedtests really best way is to use a sizable download from a decent server e.g a copy ubuntu.. (u can cancell it if u don't want it)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dragon2611 wrote: »
    Speedtest.net tried to tell me i have 80Mbit/s of downstream yesterday (I wish) bbmax is ok sometimes and useless at others.

Could say that for most speedtests really best way is to use a sizable download from a decent server e.g a copy ubuntu.. (u can cancell it if u don't want it)
    The default for speedtest.net is kbps - so unless you changed it...

I have had problems and speedtest.net then gave 111kbps - consistently - and it was confirmed using the BT speedtest. A little fiddling with cables and warm re-booting the HH and we were back up to 5500kbps+ - again confirmed by the BT speedtest (which you can only do again after 3 hours).

PS I just got 5506kbps with BT and 5182kbps with speedtest.net - and 2849kbps with BBMAX.(Repeating the tests 5 minutes later gave 5339kbps speedtest and 2817kbps BBMAX - showing both are relatively consistent)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    The default for speedtest.net is kbps - so unless you changed it...

I have had problems and speedtest.net then gave 111kbps - consistently - and it was confirmed using the BT speedtest. A little fiddling with cables and warm re-booting the HH and we were back up to 5500kbps+ - again confirmed by the BT speedtest (which you can only do again after 3 hours).

PS I just got 5506kbps with BT and 5182kbps with speedtest.net - and 2849kbps with BBMAX.(Repeating the tests 5 minutes later gave 5339kbps speedtest and 2817kbps BBMAX - showing both are relatively consistent)

I know its kps but it still tried to tell me i got 80Mbit/s i.e above 80000 :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I have had problems and speedtest.net then gave 111kbps - consistently - and it was confirmed using the BT speedtest.

What was the problem that gave you the low speeds. I have been experiencing the same problem for 2 weeks solid now. I have been through every troubleshooting step BT have, had an engineer out confirming the master line is fine, and now I have eventually been passed onto BTW (apparently), as I had to rebook a callback from resolution dept since there was "no record" of the first one.

I have also tried replacing everything : tried a netgear router, bt voyager modem, replaced ethernet leads, dsl cables, microfilters, also tried another 2 computers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Basically moving the HomeHub to a single microfilter on the master socket and connecting all the 'phones (now reduced to one anyway as we have DECT on the HomeHub) to the 'phone outlet on that microfilter. I also swapped the microfilters around until I got the best result (you get two microfilters with each bit of kit so I suspect you will have a few to try!) - the best one was one of the two (out of six in total I have) that came from BT (marked BT ADSL MF50).

We drilled a small hole through the wall from the hall into the lounge for the 'modem' cable (rj11 plugs) to connect to the HomeHub near to the vision box (with a direct ethernet cable to it from the HomeHub) - the other ethernet goes via the powerline LAN boxes to connect to son's computers in his bedroom - this laptop is in the lounge connected via wireless LAN (at about three feet range - but it works anywhere in the house).

The only thing wrong with this system is that the DECT 'phones ring on for a while after you have answered the main 'phone.

The 80000kbps must have been a faulty result - did you test immediately again?