Options

What's gone wrong with Top Gear?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Top Gear used to be a pedestrian (ahem) plodalong that could report on so many mainstream cars because they were all different. It couldn't do that now, they're all the same.. What, review a Focus one week and a Corsa the next? Now THAT would be boring. Top Gear's evolved. It's a different show these days and clearly more popular than ever. Used to be dad and lad watched it, now mum wants to as well. Nothing wrong with that and I think they have a winner they don't want, or need to change?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    I will still be watching it because I do find them (the presenters) quite entertaining. However, there is no doubt that the quality seems to be declineing over the last couple of series. Whether this is due to budget cuts or a struggle for ideas, I don't know, but it could be time to go for one run of shows per year instead of two.

I couldn't agree more, I watched last night's episode, I did find it funny and it was enjoyable, but it feels very scripted and set up now, with many things you could see coming, such as when the three of them altered the test the car had to go through.

I'll still watch it, it's a damn sight better than half of the rubbish on the TV, but I think it's lost it's edge at times.
  • Options
    skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    People need to accept its never really been a car review show in its current format. Its an entertainment show. If its not entertaining you anymore then switch off and we will see how many viewers are left that do actually enjoy it.

A programme watching serious reviews of the latest diesel astra would be boring as hell. If i want that ill buy what car magazine.
  • Options
    El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the last episode from Sunday. Oh dear they really have lost the plot now I feel. Worst episode ever I think. What a waste of an hour! Lucky I have Sky+ to fast forward through the crap which was about 50mins! It is just getting pathetic now. :rolleyes::mad:
  • Options
    quislingquisling Posts: 2,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it suffers from a similar problem to Strctly Come Dancing, insofar as what made it great in the beginning (and I mean the beginning of the second incarnation, not the Mark 1 programme) was the personalities, the sponteneity and the obvious and sincere enjoyment of the people involved.

As soon as the BBC cotton on to that, they appear to need to exaggerate, manipulate and micro manage all those constituent parts to the point where all sponteneity is lost.

The programme thus loses it's integrity, the viewers lose their trust in what they're watching, and the whole thing begins to feel like a set up.

It's a shame, but it happens time after time with programmes that start smallish and become unexpectedly popular, and the BBC aren't the worst offenders to be fair.

I predict the next BBC programme in line for the treatment will be James May's Toy Story.

:cry:
  • Options
    Posh BlokePosh Bloke Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    I still wouldn't miss it but I do wish they have a bit less of the 'let's deliberately be rubbish at things for comic effect' stuff. It was really funny back when they did the convertable people carrier episode etc but now the joke's just worn thin and it's got predictable and a bit embarrassing.
  • Options
    Paper DollPaper Doll Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, it jumped the shark when they gave up disguising the fact that the challenges are scripted.

This was once so well disguised that it won a TV award for best non-scripted show.

Clarkson, who writes the scripts is probably burnt out from all the other stuff he does; a column in The Sun, 2 columns in The Sunday Times, writing for Top Gear magazine, the Top Gear car show he does with the others (recently toured Australia), chat show and panel show appearances, the Christmas DVD he does every year etc etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    As someone who does not own a car;
    Has no desire to own a car;
    Hates most drivers for being arrogant and inconsiderate (when behind the wheel of course);
    Would rather see the 'population' of cars halved as soon as possible...

I love Top Gear.
    It is funny, entertaining and silly.
    Anyone who tunes in thinking they are watching an up to date show about the latest in car development for the everyman is always going to be disappointed.
    Sorry.

I DO however wish Clarkson would dispense with the VERY old and tired phrase, 'and on that bombshell' which he churns out at the end of 90% of the shows.
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nowadays it's become more like watching an episode of 'You've Been Framed' and they're trying to win £200 for the best set-up video sent in to the show.
  • Options
    VincentHVincentH Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    For me Top Gear has gone a bit stale for a number of reasons, mainly that they've pretty much done everything there is to do in the last 6 years or so.

Richard Hammond does seem to be going through the motions and doesn't add much to the show now, James May is better on his documentary and wine shows, and Clarkson is hamming it up ever more than before.

The stars are hit and miss, and the formula is getting repetitive. How often is it, start of challenge, Jeremy drives some supercars, star in a car, and then the end of challenge.

It's still entertaining, but rather like a favourite series such as Friends or Frasier, you can't help but feel that it's in the twilight of it's popularity. Maybe it's time to bring it to a close and make a film, or do various specials once in a while.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    The reduced Top Gear budget has dramatically affected the programme content in this series.
    I was looking forward to its move to HD, but so far have seen none of the fabulous location filming/videoing that would have benefited from HD.
  • Options
    reeleyreeley Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I think I agree with many of you, yes it has lost some of its magic, but I am not sure where.

I laughed through most of Sundays show and I absolutely loved the electric car going through its ENCAP testing, classic, thats 'almost' how they used to do it. Very good.

Yes we know that it is scripted, couldn't they go back to being a bit more subtle about it?

The only dud this week for me was the Star in a Reasonably Priced car - boring bloke.

Loved ECO Stig - classic

I tried fifth gear a few times, but it really was too much Top Gear Mark 1 - back to the days of Edmonds and co - bloody boring. Not even Car Totty Vicki could keep me watching, and I do keep watching clarkson and co on Top Gear Mark 2, something must be right.

I also rewatch the reruns on Dave, and some of the early ones are a bit cringeworthy if I am honest, James really took a while to get into it, but now I think he is actually the best of the three, but accept totally that he only works so well because of the other two.

The programme has matured:)

Still a great programme and much much much better than I am a Zedleb.
  • Options
    El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alwall wrote: »
    The reduced Top Gear budget has dramatically affected the programme content in this series.
    I was looking forward to its move to HD, but so far have seen none of the fabulous location filming/videoing that would have benefited from HD.

:confused: What about episode 1? That had some great location filming and scenery!

But to be honest the show would not look out of place on cbbc these days! More Chuckle Brothers than Top Gear! Come on guys you can do better! :D
  • Options
    zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This programme is made by men but aimed at 14 year boys. Come up with some stupid idea such as a DIY electric car and then do some daft stunts with it. Anybody seriously making an electric car would obviously test it out thoroughly first on some test track. What do Clarkson & Co do? Drive the bloody thing into the middle of Oxford on their test run where, of course, they run out of power. Then they charge it up and end up on the A34 expressway much to everyone's annoyance. Very funny. I am absolutely bursting out with hilarity - NOT!

Want to see a sensible test report about a new mass market car? Well, don't bother watching Top Gear. All these idiots are concerned with is supercars that practically nobody can afford. They then take them to some disused airfield (where they should have taken the bloody electric car), and then try to see who can burn the most rubber off these cars before, presumably they return them to the manufacturers. (I wonder if the buyers are warned that these fools have had their hands on them).

As for the audience, what a load of gawps, just standing around for ages listening to this clap trap.
  • Options
    skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    zandar wrote: »
    Anybody seriously making an electric car would obviously test it out thoroughly first on some test track. What do Clarkson & Co do? Drive the bloody thing into the middle of Oxford on their test run where, of course, they run out of power.

You do know it wasnt a serious attempt at making an electric car dont you? :rolleyes:
    zandar wrote: »
    Want to see a sensible test report about a new mass market car? Well, don't bother watching Top Gear.

Exactly, which is why im kind of at a loss as to why youre watching it if thats what you want.

Cant help but feel you have missed the point of the show. Its entertainment, not serious reviews.
  • Options
    Dave FMDave FM Posts: 1,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top Gear hasn't really gone downhill much as all - its just they seem to be getting worse at acting.

I realise most of the challenges etc / cock ups are faked, but in the early days it was generally believable.

Sometimes I cringe because its so obviously fake.

However, I still think its great compared with the other rubbish on TV, and long may they continue.

Have they really had a budget cut? It makes silly money for the beeb doesnt it?
  • Options
    kevinamorriskevinamorris Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Hey zandar, in the words of the prophet, " No shit, Sherlock".

I have been watching Top Gear for over 30 years, when it wasn't a Clarkson Party Political Broadcast, and it is clear that Andy Wilman has been responsible for the transformation into the puerile gubbins it is today. Maybe Clarkson has got something really bad on him.

It is funny, though, I'm thinking of the caravanning trip, perhaps one of the funniest things I've ever seen on telly, and the car/boat comp, the trip across the deep south, loads of stuff, totally hilarious, what a TV programme should do really.

And as is the case with anything where a bully has been allowed to take over, when it isn't funny, it is terrible. And people still rave about it, mostly people who read HIS column in the Scum newspaper, headed by a digitally altered photograph from 20 years ago.

I have long since thought that James May and Richard Hammond surrendered their dignity in exchange for TG contracts, and like most other comments in this thread, I would like a serious part of the prog, not ALL the prog, and maybe something devoted to motorsport, like they used to do.

Bullying, self-opinionated bores, eventually get their come-uppance, and I wait for that day.
  • Options
    SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, last night's show was hilarious if you embrace the premise that it's a comedy show rather than a serious motoring programme.

Exactly. I couldn't give a flying fig about cars of any kind, cheap or super, but I'll watch Top Gear because it is entertaining (mostly).

Were it simply a car reviewing show it would have been cancelled a looong time ago.
  • Options
    stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum has started watching it, which I think says it all: It's no longer about cars and more about three men having fun. Not bad in itself, but does it really fit the Top Gear "car show" remit any more?

I must admit I usually watch it and enjoy it but last night I was having an online chat with someone (another Top Gear fan actually) while the TV was on in the background, and I didn't mind missing bits of it. In the past I'd have turned off the PC to watch Top Gear.

So I think it's gone down hill a bit :(

Wasn't it not so long ago that they said they'd quit before they jumped the shark?
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the main problem was that is was so clearly made up. Getting pulled and impounded by the police would have been funny rather than driving along a road into town and then blocking the road.
    It would have been far funnier if they had seriously entered it for the SVA test and received a catastrophic failure list. As funny as the slo-mo sequence was, we all know you cannot submit your own crash test videos so perhaps seeing that huge pendulum utterly destroy the car would have been both realistic and hilarious.
    It needed some grounding in reality to make it believable. that's what made the boat-cars or the road trip episodes so fantastic.
  • Options
    stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HIS column in the Scum newspaper, headed by a digitally altered photograph from 20 years ago

He also has a column in The Sunday Times, with a photo that more accurately portrays his advancing years. Not to mention his over-exposure in the In Gear supplement, which often shows his advancing belly, too.

I think that's how my mum got into Top Gear. After years of hating Clarkson she started to read his Times column and found that he's actually rather hillarious (intentionally or otherwise).

I don't care much for Hammond, but I'm glad James May has got a few good broadcasting opportunities off the back of Top Gear. His Toy Stories is excellent :)
  • Options
    SeventeenSeventeen Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I do still like Top Gear but as a number of people have said it is too obviously scripted these days.

Even when they set the caravan on fire that felt somewhat real and was 'revealed' to be fake later. These days it's far too obvious. The electric car crashing into trees would have been funny if it felt like a genuine accident but as soon as they moved it into the field I could see the slope and what was coming next.

Also, they clearly didn't make the car, some anonymous blokes did.

As Supratad said, the boar cars was great because it clearly wasn't as set up. They didn't really know what would happen when they got those cars in the water and the hilarity came from the events that followed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    The budget cuts were announced at the end of 2008.
    The Executive Producer said at the time "The next series will be a cheaper affair and viewers will notice the difference."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/4015921/Top-Gear-to-be-hit-by-budget-cuts-shows-chief-reveals.html
  • Options
    Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've almost been thinking "Jumping the Shark", but I try to remind myself that most telly is too 'on message' now, and these boys do offer an amusing counterpoint to all that.

That said, it's not been a vintage run so far. :(