Options

15000 bikers supporting the British Legion - £2300 raised! raised?

2»

Comments

• Options
    grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people just don't give to charity because they are focused rightly on their own lives, certainly in the current financial state. I too have raised more then they have in the past with less people, I've also raised a lot less in the past, but at least they did something which is the important bit, it's £2300 the charity would be short of now if they simply hadnt bothered

...and I get that. However, something as simple and painless as a quid donation from each biker would have substantially increased what they raised, which I very much doubt anyone would have had a problem with. A lot would have chucked more than the quid in as well.

I see this as more a missed opportunity from the organisers than the bikers themselves. I've been a biker for many years and I know how much fund-raising gets done within the motorcycling community and how generous most of them are - given the chance.
  • Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well maybe it should. I find it very odd that somebody who has donated nothing to a cause will then go on and criticise people who raised £2300
    No, it really shouldn't. It would be a terrible way for the world to work.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would have been good if there was a photo from overhead of all the red bikers.

Also, how was it supposed to work, i.e. all the bikers converging together? They were supposed to meet at different service stations around the M25 then drive round and gradually catch each group up. So they'd have to coordinate their respective speeds otherwise they could have ended up circling the M25 all day and never meeting another group.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which doesn't actually provide anything for the cause they were raising money for.

Maybe not, but the petrol still had to be paid for, so the bikers had to pay for that, so even if they didn't make a separate donation they have still 'given'.
    I know... :o

I've not really done anything for Remembrance, but I've been involved in quite a lot of other charity fund-raising - mainly cancer related. Didn't really want to go down that road but I suppose it's relevant now that posters think I'm just sitting here judging whilst not having done anything myself. See previous post.

But you thought you would anyway in case anyone has thought you sound a miserable git....

"The bikers didn't raise enough money and I think they are just a bunch of attention-seeking losers, but I raise money to and loads more than them, so I'm amazing and have the right to sit in judgement on the efforts of others."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what you seem to be saying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe not, but the petrol still had to be paid for, so the bikers had to pay for that, so even if they didn't make a separate donation they have still 'given'.

But you thought you would anyway in case anyone has thought you sound a miserable git....

"The bikers didn't raise enough money and I think they are just a bunch of attention-seeking losers, but I raise money to and loads more than them, so I'm amazing and have the right to sit in judgement on the efforts of others."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what you seem to be saying.

Yep - it's a fair cop.

I never said I was perfect... :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep - it's a fair cop.

I never said I was perfect... :o

Whatever your point was, I think you could cut the guys some slack.

At least they tried.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    ...and I get that. However, something as simple and painless as a quid donation from each biker would have substantially increased what they raised, which I very much doubt anyone would have had a problem with. A lot would have chucked more than the quid in as well.

I see this as more a missed opportunity from the organisers than the bikers themselves. I've been a biker for many years and I know how much fund-raising gets done within the motorcycling community and how generous most of them are - given the chance.

So go and donate your pound
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry.
    Did someone mention the Daily Mail?

Bwah hah Hah!!!
    Ta - best laugh of the morning
    *titter*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry.
    Did someone mention the Daily Mail?

Bwah hah Hah!!!
    Ta - best laugh of the morning
    *titter*

The original link was to the BBC :confused:
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen this story - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24889804 - where approximately 15000 bikers have formed a huge poppy in support of the British Legion for Remembrance Day.

However, the funds raised only amount to £2300.

I don't wish to disparage their efforts, but I can't help feeling that it's an embarrassingly poor effort for such a large number of people.
    Seems like most of them have turned up for a nice run out, but not stuck their hands in their pockets.

So how much money raised by selling the poppies to 15,000 bikers, since they were asked to wear one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever your point was, I think you could cut the guys some slack.

At least they tried.

I do actually agree with you and whilst my OP did put the bikers down, after thinking about it it's really the organisers I should be criticising. I did say that in a subsequent post.

Yes, you're right that I'm thinking, bloody hell, I've raised more than that with just me & my wife and a function room with 50-odd paying punters.

If we can do that, how come an event with 15000 people taking part only raise that amount?

I acknowledge that my op was more mean-spirited than it needed to be though and I probably shot myself in the foot as far as turning it into a reasonable discussion is concerned.

Like I say, I never said I was perfect...
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this was good of them. They've raised a good amount as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    So how much money raised by selling the poppies to 15,000 bikers, since they were asked to wear one?

A fair point that I hadn't considered...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they're £1 each that's £15,000 (biker poppies) + £2,300 (extra poppies) = £17,300.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do actually agree with you and whilst my OP did put the bikers down, after thinking about it it's really the organisers I should be criticising. I did say that in a subsequent post.

Yes, you're right that I'm thinking, bloody hell, I've raised more than that with just me & my wife and a function room with 50-odd paying punters.

If we can do that, how come an event with 15000 people taking part only raise that amount?

I acknowledge that my op was more mean-spirited than it needed to be though and I probably shot myself in the foot as far as turning it into a reasonable discussion is concerned.

Like I say, I never said I was perfect...

Fair enough. I never said I was reasonable when I write my responses to posts ;)
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just point out that nowhere in the BBC article does it say 15,000 bikers actually took part. That was a guestimate plucked out of the air by one of the organisers. No-one bothered to count how many took part. So there may well have only been 2,300 for all we know.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    If they had all just given £1 each they would have raised £15000 which is more than they actually raised.
    I completely disagree. Any of us can criticise whatever we wish to if we think it is worthy of criticism.

It's reasonable to think that 15000 participants raising £2300 between them does little for the cause that they no doubt think is a worthy one.

It strikes me that it also gave the poppy appeal a lot of publicity AND raised £2,300 (so far) which is £2,300 more than the charity would have had if they hadn't done it.

However there is the proviso that many of the riders bought a special badge for their leathers to commemorate the run - the proceeds of which is also going to the charity (they don't know how many they have sold yet.

Frankly an uncharitable thread starter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    It strikes me that it also gave the poppy appeal a lot of publicity AND raised £2,300 (so far) which is £2,300 more than the charity would have had if they hadn't done it.

However there is the proviso that many of the riders bought a special badge for their leathers to commemorate the run - the proceeds of which is also going to the charity (they don't know how many they have sold yet.

Frankly an uncharitable thread starter.

Well yes, I have acknowledged that.

The badges weren't mentioned in the report and the number of poppies bought by the participants wasn't mentioned either.

Taking those into consideration, the total raised is likely to be way more than the £2300 reported. As the reported sum was the reason I started the thread, mean-spirited or otherwise, if that was wrong, then so was I.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As noted the BBC article says ...
    Ms Stevenson said it had been a huge success and a complete "ring of red" had been achieved.
    The actual number of bikers that took part is not known, but Ms Stevenson had estimated that about 15,000 were needed in order to complete "the world's largest poppy".

So there must have been a reasonable number.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well yes, I have acknowledged that.

The badges weren't mentioned in the report and the number of poppies bought by the participants wasn't mentioned either.

Taking those into consideration, the total raised is likely to be way more than the £2300 reported. As the reported sum was the reason I started the thread, mean-spirited or otherwise, if that was wrong, then so was I.

I hope you will self-flagellate for the rest of the day. Never has anyone before ever posted anything so mean-spirited on DS. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The original link was to the BBC :confused:
    Yep, and someone mentioned the Daily Mail.
    Keep up :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Can I just point out that nowhere in the BBC article does it say 15,000 bikers actually took part. That was a guestimate plucked out of the air by one of the organisers. No-one bothered to count how many took part. So there may well have only been 2,300 for all we know.
    Rule is 'who calculated'.
    Contentious? Lower or raise the figures according to your political agenda.
    Not contentious, but you have an agenda? Lower or raise the figures according to your political agenda.
    Figures supplied by an official organisation?
    Doesn't fit your agenda. Lower or raise the figures according to your political agenda, and add several paragraphs slapping the organisation to fit.

er ... I'll go and think about it a bit ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you will self-flagellate for the rest of the day. Never has anyone before ever posted anything so mean-spirited on DS. ;)

I'm quite happy to prostrate myself for flagellation from other DS members.

Any takers? :)
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Blimey, OP, I bet you never expected that when you posted your query!

It's why my thread posting is kept to almost zero and I let others get all the insults!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, OP, I bet you never expected that when you posted your query!

I kind of did, but then when the replies came in, I realised the OP was a bit more twattish than I'd intended... :o
    It's why my thread posting is kept to almost zero and I let others get all the insults!

Ah well.. I don't mind a bit of brusque posturing. Good for the constitution :)