jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    point doesn't do either any favours, but our H2H is now better
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good result for Scotland. Well deserved point.

Defence were very good. Ireland threw plenty crosses into the box but the days of getting it wide and throwing into the box are well gone. You need to do more than that.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad result for Ireland. We couldn't beat a really average and ordinary Scottish side (as a result of being really average and ordinary ourselves)
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought Ireland very unlucky not to get the win - we went to sleep for 5min and it has cost us dearly. Ref didnt give us much either but we only have ourselves to blame.
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotland will be happy with that result.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Thought Ireland very unlucky not to get the win - we went to sleep for 5min and it has cost us dearly. Ref didnt give us much either but we only have ourselves to blame.

Considering the goal was offside and McCarthy should of been sent off I think Ireland had a good day with the officials.
  • Options
    Rufus KnightsRufus Knights Posts: 3,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all set pieces with the Irish. If you can stop set pieces then you stop Ireland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Considering the goal was offside and McCarthy should of been sent off I think Ireland had a good day with the officials.

You really couldn't make it up. :D
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Scotland, a draw is not the worst result. Ireland really needed to win this one.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »

You got a goal that was miles offside. The ref handed you a point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »

It was offside but the elbow wasn't a sending off offence.
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two average teams tbh - if anybody tried to play some football it was certainly Scotland. Ireland were like a Wimbledon FC tribute act with their direct play and very little else.

If we can win in Georgia we will be right in the mix ...
  • Options
    RG101RG101 Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Can't believe in this day and age officials aren't allowed to double check if a goal is offside or not, it's just cost Scotland two extra points that may well be needed later on to qualify.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing as the home nations are doing well so far in their respective qualifying groups, does anyone know what tournament had the most representation from then in?

I hope that as many as possible are there in France next year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martin O'Neill is the manager of Ireland, was anyone really expecting anything more than punt and rush and set piece bombardment? I thought a draw minimum was what Scotland should get from this poor Irish side. If the referee or assistant had spotted the clear offside it would have been a Scotland win.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin O'Neill is the manager of Ireland, was anyone really expecting anything more than punt and rush and set piece bombardment? I thought a draw minimum was what Scotland should get from this poor Irish side. If the referee or assistant had spotted the clear offside it would have been a Scotland win.

O'Neill is taking a hammering on the Irish forums not surprisingly

I doubt Scotland would have won had it been 0-0 at HT though. The Scottish goal took a bad deflection off O'Shea and they had virtually no other chances to win it
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was offside but the elbow wasn't a sending off offence.

A deliberate elbow is a sending off offence, it was deliberate
  • Options
    SattregaSattrega Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing as the home nations are doing well so far in their respective qualifying groups, does anyone know what tournament had the most representation from then in?

I know that the 1958 World Cup in Sweden had England, Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales in it. And that was just a 16-team tournament.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikeyddd wrote: »
    A deliberate elbow is a sending off offence, it was deliberate

He had eyes for the ball not the man. A booking all day long.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sattrega wrote: »
    I know that the 1958 World Cup in Sweden had England, Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales in it. And that was just a 16-team tournament.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RG101 wrote: »
    Can't believe in this day and age officials aren't allowed to double check if a goal is offside or not, it's just cost Scotland two extra points that may well be needed later on to qualify.

It shouldn't have stood but you don't know if it would have cost Scotland two points. If it was ruled out for off-side then that would have changed the course of time and Scotland obviously would not have gone on to score that exact goal. They might have gone to win the game but equally they might have gone on to lose the game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It shouldn't have stood but you don't now if it would have cost Scotland two points. If it was ruled out for off-side then that would have changed the course of time and Scotland obviously would not have gone on to score that exact goal. They might have gone to win the game but equally they might have gone on to lose the game.

I doubt they would have won the game under 'any' circumstances. They created very little over the 90 minutes and their actual goal took a wicked deflection.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin O'Neill absolutely raging after the game. Which is nice. Why are his teams so shite to watch?
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He had eyes for the ball not the man. A booking all day long.

Talking bollocks again, Franco