Options

Plans To Remove Broadcasting Impartiality

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,738
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I read the other day that the next Conservative Government is considering removing the obligation on UK broadcasters to be even handed and impartial in presenting news. This may suit the Tories in the short term, who would benefit from Murdoch spin on Sky (as with Fox News), but should this be allowed?

UK news broadcasting has long been held out as an example of fairness and impartiality - albeit that it gets more and more tabloid in style. Should we be letting the right (who have access to the money needed to get on the air) skew our news on radio and TV like the bulk of our print media do.

I hope that we can hold onto our fairness and balance, and not let politicians take the first step, in pursuit of their self interest, in what might in some hands lead to state controlled broadcasting. At the very least we are talking Bellesconi!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As any first year media studies student will tell you: broadcast news is not impartial.

Sure, it (mostly) sticks to the guidelines.

But there are far more subtle things at work.

Just one small example: the content and running order of every news programme is an act of partiality. What is left out is an act of partiality. Which talking heads you pursue is an act of partiality.

This is a massive subject and removing the legal obligation to be impartial is a wrong move, IMO.

You're right in that money would then get vested interests access to the airwaves and things would be skewed in all kinds of ways.

I can't see the gain for the consumer in such a move, but I can see the gain for the Tories.

And that can't be a good thing!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Before commenting too much - whats the source of this?

I'd be interested in reading the exact proposals mentioned...............
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron's been going on about this for a while now. He obviously thinks that the Conservatives will gain out of it.

He's looking across the Atlantic & wishing we had a British Fox News to push a Conservative agenda while pretending to be news.

The only people who will gain out of this are the likes of Murdoch & the Conservative Party. I haven't heard much public demand for biased news.
  • Options
    MickeyBricksMickeyBricks Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't make any difference whatsoever.

The BBC is pro left-wing-liberal and very supportive of Gordon Brown, evident again last night on BBC1 when News At 10 carried the news of the US coming out of recession about 20 mins in when normally ANY sort of US news gets top billing on BBC.

Interesting to note that James Lansdale is now 'Deputy Political Editor' rather than Chief Political Correspondent. Tends to suggest a move sideways for Brown lackie Nick Robinson after the Election.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alex_fife wrote: »
    Before commenting too much - whats the source of this?

I'd be interested in reading the exact proposals mentioned...............
    All I could find on a quick web search was this discussed on Radios 4’s The Media Show, 30th September 2009.
    http://keeptonyblairforpm.wordpress.com/2009/10/01/listen-media-show-the-sun-labour-broadcast-impartiality-female-newsreaders-50-great-conference-speeches/
    Can't believe it will be official policy!
    Recently Jeremy Hunt, the shadow culture secretary, suggested he may want to scrap the rules on political impartiality if the Tories get into power.
  • Options
    VincentHVincentH Posts: 363
    Forum Member

The BBC is pro left-wing-liberal and very supportive of Gordon Brown, evident again last night on BBC1 when News At 10 carried the news of the US coming out of recession about 20 mins in when normally ANY sort of US news gets top billing on BBC.

Interesting to note that James Lansdale is now 'Deputy Political Editor' rather than Chief Political Correspondent. Tends to suggest a move sideways for Brown lackie Nick Robinson after the Election.

This idea that the BBC is somehow left-wing is a myth created by right wing media (i.e. the Daily Mail) with their own agenda to belittle the tax-funded organisation in favour of their advertiser-funded business.

This is an organisation which only last week had a right-wing extremist on one of their most established programmes...and then there's Jeremy Clarkson...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VincentH wrote: »
    This is an organisation which only last week had a right-wing extremist on one of their most established programmes...and then there's Jeremy Clarkson...

The BNP have appeared on QT once. The far left, in the shape of Shamri Chakrabati is an almost regular fixture on the panel. With regards to Clarkson, why has he never appeared on QT? Answer: His views are at complete odds with those of the BBC with whom he is intrinsically linked in the minds of the majority of BBC viewers and listeners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nick Robinson Ex National Chairman of the Young Conservatives is Gordon Brown's lackie?
  • Options
    overlineoverline Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it funny how the left accuse the BBC of being right-wing and the right accuse it of being left-wing.

They must be doing something right.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    The BNP have appeared on QT once. The far left, in the shape of Shamri Chakrabati is an almost regular fixture on the panel. With regards to Clarkson, why has he never appeared on QT? Answer: His views are at complete odds with those of the BBC with whom he is intrinsically linked in the minds of the majority of BBC viewers and listeners.

And Ian Hislop On Have I got News for you, Mock the Week, Daily Politics, This Week.

Gordan Brown gets a regular bashing on those programmes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you sure Clarkson has never been asked to go on Question Time?

They've had Richard Littlejohn on & he was asked to appear on the panel with Nick Griffin but he turned down the invitation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Nick Ferrari would be a good panelist. Don't think he has ever been on has he?

Probably a contract clause with LBC.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Littlejohn has been on, Peter Hitchens has been on and they've had a fair share of hang em and flog em's over the years.
    Not all BBC is left wing, sure there are more Jeremy Vine's than John Humphrys but Gordon Brown has had rough treatment from the BBC in many places.
  • Options
    Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With regards to Clarkson, why has he never appeared on QT?

Coz he is a class 1 d***head !!
  • Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    With regards to Clarkson, why has he never appeared on QT? Answer: His views are at complete odds with those of the BBC with whom he is intrinsically linked in the minds of the majority of BBC viewers and listeners.

Jermemy Clarkson has been on QT. He was on the panel just before the London Congestion Charge was implemented in 2003.

He suggested that to make it effective the Mayor should charge £50 in order to really prevent people from driving their cars in.
  • Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    VincentH wrote: »
    This idea that the BBC is somehow left-wing is a myth created by right wing media (i.e. the Daily Mail) with their own agenda to belittle the tax-funded organisation in favour of their advertiser-funded business.

True.

Peter Mandleson is always knocking the BBC. He often pursecutes them and Panorama, and when he asked recently where a particular reporter was from he said, "I might have known. This is the sort of sloppy journalism I expect from the BBC".
  • Options
    RoxioRoxio Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Lets hope the Tories Win, take out the Government intervention in Radio & TV, let them change formats when the station wants and not a Government requirement. It would put a spark in the drab UK Radio Scene, like having another Laser 558 era.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Andy1120 wrote: »
    Cameron's been going on about this for a while now. He obviously thinks that the Conservatives will gain out of it.

He's looking across the Atlantic & wishing we had a British Fox News to push a Conservative agenda while pretending to be news.

The only people who will gain out of this are the likes of Murdoch & the Conservative Party. I haven't heard much public demand for biased news.

I doubt that. Cameron is one of the most moderate leaders the Conservative party has ever had. As someone else said, I'd like to see the original source for this thread. It's certianly true that the Conservatives are talking about revising and shaking up the regulatory process, but removing the impartiality rule is, in my opinion, a total non starter.

Besides, have you ever heard US talk radio? Tune into any Clear Channel station and you'll hear far right programming for most of the day. I don't think anyone would want that model here.

As for the BBC critics, most of them dislike it because it treads a little more carefully thatn some outlets. But it's not just about impartiality. I think it's also about truth and accuracy. And when it comes to robust journalism I think that should be what really counts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't find the original source, but here's a report on Andrew Marr's reponse to it:
    Marr's comments follow proposals announced earlier this week by the Tories to scrap the rules that force news bulletins to be impartial and "top-slice" the BBC licence fee.

Marr did not name the Tories, simply referring to "a political party", but said the move could lead to broadcasters becoming more like newspapers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/apr/04/bbc.television
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting that the Guardian article doesn't appear to be exactly kind to the BBC. Some would say that a left wing paper wouldn't normally give the Corporation such a hard time. And the article itself is pretty sloppy "BBC journalists are normally told to stay clear" followed by "Mark Thompson says it's OK to speak freely". Make up your mind Plunkett!

But back on topic, it sounds like another pie in the sky Conservative wish, rather than a published policy. As I've said in other threads, broadcasting is not going to be anywhere near the top of the agenda for the next Government, whichever party comes to power. And I understand that the Shadow Culture Secretary has already said as much, saying he wouldn't change funding of the BBC until at least 2012, when Charter Renewal comes up again.
  • Options
    sjoscinevsjoscinev Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any connection between Cameron being in favour of this and The Sun announcing its support for the Tories the other week ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all part of the EU plan to create an undemocratic superstate like Russia.

If the media are no longer unbiased and no longer report the truth then democracy will die which is what it appears the leaders in the EU want.

We have no constitutional right to free speech in this country so you can be sure that at some point it will become illegal to criticize the EU and anyone who does so will face arrest and imprisonment.

Most people won't care about losing their right to vote and freedom to criticize the EU government as long as they are able to live in comfort and prosperity which is what being part of an EU Superstate will provide.

Why am I writing this? Soon we will be part of the 2nd biggest federation in the world to have an unelected president, with unelected people representing our foreign policy - we have unelected people dictating most of our laws - the European Parliament is little more than a talking shop like in Bismarck's Germany, we are the most surveillanced nation on earth - no coincidence there as we have a tendency as a people to be rebellious against the EU, and now they are talking about removing all restrictions on ownership in radio, tv and newpapers and removing all rules on impartiality.

Our democracy and free society is dying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sjoscinev wrote: »
    Any connection between Cameron being in favour of this and The Sun announcing its support for the Tories the other week ?

No. We're talking about broadcasting. Newspapers can already do what they like. If you mean is Cameron trying to make broadcast news partisan, as I said, it's pie in the sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. We're talking about broadcasting. Newspapers can already do what they like. If you mean is Cameron trying to make broadcast news partisan, as I said, it's pie in the sky.

I think the suggestion, not that I agree with it, is the result of the Murdoch connection between The Scum and Sky, which makes your 'pie in the sky' comment amusing. :D
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beat Nick wrote: »
    As any first year media studies student will tell you: broadcast news is not impartial.

Sure, it (mostly) sticks to the guidelines.

But there are far more subtle things at work.

Just one small example: the content and running order of every news programme is an act of partiality. What is left out is an act of partiality. Which talking heads you pursue is an act of partiality.

This is a massive subject and removing the legal obligation to be impartial is a wrong move, IMO.

You're right in that money would then get vested interests access to the airwaves and things would be skewed in all kinds of ways.

I can't see the gain for the consumer in such a move, but I can see the gain for the Tories.

And that can't be a good thing!

Totally agree.