Options

Anybody here had a problem with the police ?

bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I ask because a report out today suggests that a number of Officers have had 3 or more complaints registered against them over the last year, most for rudeness or assault. click here

The dealings I've had with the police have certainly reflected a lack of common courtesy, and more a tendency to bark out orders.They tend to forget that most of the public are decent law abiding citizens, who are not out looking for trouble.
At least 2,000 police officers were subject to three or more complaints by members of the public in the last year, figures obtained by the BBC have shown.

The statistics from 43 out of 52 UK forces show more than 5,000 complaints made against officers in 2009-10.

The forces with the most multiple complaints per officer were in Northern Ireland, West Mercia and Lincolnshire.

The Police Federation, which represents 140,000 officers in England and Wales, said many cases were unsubstantiated.

Continue reading the main story
Related stories
Complaints against PSNI up by 14%
Failure of duty

The figures obtained from a Freedom of Information request by the BBC show 2,073 officers had three or more complaints against them, and there were a total of 5,069 allegations against officers.

Most complaints were about rudeness, assault or failure of duty.

Any thoughts/experiences ?

Comments

• Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    No. They call me 'Sir', on the very rare occasions that I communicate with them. The report also points out that most complaints are unsubstantiated. I don't doubt they are rude to people, and overstep the mark on occasions, but some people are far too sensitive, and some people bring it upon themselves.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say my experience with them is 50/50. I've met some absolutely wonderful coppers, but also some proper nasty ones.
  • Options
    ginockginock Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to drag this old argument up again just to discuss this but I did get fined 75quid by a community police officer for dropping a ciggerate when stepping onto a bus. I accept I did wrong and should have located a bin before entering the bus but I did feel 75 pounds was a little hefty...
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I ask because a report out today suggests that a number of Officers have had 3 or more complaints registered against them over the last year, most for rudeness or assault. click here

The dealings I've had with the police have certainly reflected a lack of common courtesy, and more a tendency to bark out orders.They tend to forget that most of the public are decent law abiding citizens, who are not out looking for trouble.

Any thoughts/experiences ?

Most police I've spoken to are as you describe. However I've met one copper that was the polar opposite, that was about 15 years ago though.

By definition the police service is going to attract people who like power. So it's not surprising that a lot of police are as you describe. Also the last government compounded the problem by giving the police powers that allowed them to 'harass' innocent people without evidence or even suspicion of any wrongdoing, which hasn't helped.
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,850
    Forum Member
    Only when they sang De Do Do Do De Da Da Da
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had no common courtesy when they were playground bullies, they have none when they wear the uniform.

Most troubling thing reported by that article, is of those forces which bothered to report outcomes, over half took no further action - and that's for officers with multiple complaints against them. There's still no accountability in the police.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only have praise for our local force. they have been helpful, understanding and courteous. Every time i have needed them i was the victim. maybe their patience wears thin with the crims
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    all the police officers i`ve had dealings with have been arrogant, rude and aggressive, with the exception of two, a very pleasant inspector and a horribly lecherous constable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should think the assault factor is more than likely the whiney little s**s you see on the Police Camera Action programmes that resist arrest and then start crying when a little bit of force has to used, screaming "get off you are hurting me, you have assualted me". Hard luck I say.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Following a bad accident, the police I dealt with couldn't have been better, especially one who helped me through the whole process of dealing with everything (from the trauma to the admin).
  • Options
    HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After night out central they took my details when I had done nothing wrong. they thought I was "transacting" and even after they found it was nothing they still insisted on taking my details for their involvement report or whatever. I was refusing at first because I was half drunk, and they were just riling me up waiting for me to do something wrong so they could arrest me they were "if you've done nothing wrong then no problem giving your details" and in my mind "If ive not done anything wrong you don't need my details!!" . My friends intervened but clearly they were just waiting for me to step out of line,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I should think the assault factor is more than likely the whiney little s**s you see on the Police Camera Action programmes that resist arrest and then start crying when a little bit of force has to used, screaming "get off you are hurting me, you have assualted me". Hard luck I say.
    i`ve seen a 15 year old boy with his hands cuffed behind his back have his feet kicked out so he landed on his face.
  • Options
    Rawr!Rawr! Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I did their job, I think I'd probably be a lot less friendly than I am now. I don't care if a copper is rude to me, if he needs that attitude to be the best copper he can be and help try to keep our streets safe, then that's fine with me.
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i`ve seen a 15 year old boy with his hands cuffed behind his back have his feet kicked out so he landed on his face.

I'm sure that if a 15 year old boy had to be handcuffed he'd been doing something wrong.
  • Options
    _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had good and bad experiences with the police.

Bad was when I was 15 and I'd had an argument with a bouncer. The police came over, arrested me and smashed my face into the wall. I wasn't fighting them or anything and it wasn't an accident.

The second was when I was walking home from the shop with my friend a few years ago. We were on quite a bad council estate and it was about 10pm at night. There were some chav girls on the other side of the road and they decided they wanted to fight us. We obviously didn't want to fight but just wanted to go back to her house but they kept surrounding us and having a go. The police were up the road so came over, told the kids to '**** off' then started having a go at us. He was swearing and ranting and calling us liars as we tried to explain that we didn't want any trouble. That was really annoying.

Another time I'd had my new bike nicked and burned out and reported it to the police. The policeman noticed I was very nervous when he was round and asked me about it. I told him that I have panic attacks and stuff and he sat and talked to me about it for ages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    I'm sure that if a 15 year old boy had to be handcuffed he'd been doing something wrong.
    he was waving to a friend across the road as a police car went by, they thought he was gesticulating at him. he was known to the police, but had done NOTHING wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    In my experience police have been generally OK, the odd time I've dealt with an officer who is extremely arrogant or too aggressive. Over the years though I've dealt witht he police at least 10 times and they have mostly been fine even when I have done something wrong.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are all sorts of different people in every walk of life.

The public sometimes get a bad experience with some Police officers and Police officers sometimes get a bad experience with members of the public.

With regard to some coppers being brash and aggressive - it takes someone with a bit of attitude to chase a suspect into a dark car park under an inner city tower block. I suppose if we want them to be protectors of us as well as upholders of the law then we have to sometimes expect that tough side of their job to spill out in other ways.

The problems I have with the modern Police services is the unending red tape, bureaucracy and their obsession with political correctness.

I think this puts enormous pressure on the front line officers and they are policies which often alienate the public.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rawr! wrote: »
    I don't care if a copper is rude to me, if he needs that attitude to be the best copper he can be and help try to keep our streets safe, then that's fine with me.

They don't need that attitude, and it doesn't help them keep our streets safe. If anything, it is counter-productive as it increases distrust and reduces their ability to police with consent.
  • Options
    alisonrose3764alisonrose3764 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only had a couple of dealings with the police - when my car has been broken into or a road accident - have always found them to be lovely.
    I've never understood how people can have so many dealings with the police - I have never been involved in any trouble ro been anywhere where things kick off - must either have a very boring life or just go to nice places :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never understood how people can have so many dealings with the police - I have never been involved in any trouble ro been anywhere where things kick off - must either have a very boring life or just go to nice places :)

Try standing up for your rights. You're no criminal, but there's no shortage of police ready to kick you down for daring to protest. Take the G20 for instance - and Tomlinson wasn't even protesting.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I've had plenty of issues. I would not report anything to them these days as they are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

They bully and harass.
    They accuse you of things you don't do.
    When you correct them they say you have an attitude problem.
    They don't like people who are cleverer than they are.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The "police" in the front line at the anti-capitalist protest in London some years ago were just plain nasty (their individual ID numbers were absent and their faces hidden behind visors so who knows if they were genuine cops or not). Their intention was to inflict injury on unarmed protestors and that's what they did.

I have no problem with proper "bobbies on the beat" though. Very fair & civil.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurlley wrote: »
    After night out central they took my details when I had done nothing wrong. they thought I was "transacting" and even after they found it was nothing they still insisted on taking my details for their involvement report or whatever. I was refusing at first because I was half drunk, and they were just riling me up waiting for me to do something wrong so they could arrest me they were "if you've done nothing wrong then no problem giving your details" and in my mind "If ive not done anything wrong you don't need my details!!" . My friends intervened but clearly they were just waiting for me to step out of line,
    So you admit to being belligerent and under the influence of alcohol? In other words one of those yobs that ruin a night out for the rest of society?

A pity you weren't locked up and given a hefty fine since it sounds to me like you were already 'out of line'.

Next time try drinking within your limits and going home quietly. That's what responsible, well brought up people do.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he was waving to a friend across the road as a police car went by, they thought he was gesticulating at him. he was known to the police, but had done NOTHING wrong.
    I don't believe you. That's just baseless exaggeration. I can imagine them stopping and having a word but no way in hell would they hand cuff or drag them to the ground unless they were violent to the police.

If it happened (which I doubt, frankly) then most likely the police stopped to have a word and the lad (probably half off his face on alcohol) kicked off. It's a classic story and all too common these days. I'm not surprised the police find it hard to remain polite and cordial considering the kind of idiocy and belligerence they encounter.