Wedding in Brechin + Bad Weather = No guests?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 773
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm in a bit of a quandry at the moment, a very good friend of mine is getting married in Brechin three days before Christmas. My boyfriend and I were invited and we booked a hotel to stay in up there for the night, its about a three hour drive for us.

Now that it is a couple of days away, my boyfriend and my dad think we would be mad to make the journey the way the weather has been lately. Ice and snow are forecast for the area, and I'd hate to go and get stuck there just before Christmas. However, it is a really good friend, and I phoned him to let him know we might not be going and he was disappointed as he'd already had a few call-offs and he was unsure if even his parents and best man could make it.

I'm not sure what to do, i don't think I want to risk the drive, but I would feel dreadful about letting my friend down. What would you do?

Comments

• Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would your friend feel if you were in an accident, or stuck on a motorway overnight? IMO it's not worth the risk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know, it would hate to get stuck before Christmas. It's just I haate to let him down! Does anyone know how bad it is up there at the moment?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, it would hate to get stuck before Christmas. It's just I haate to let him down! Does anyone know how bad it is up there at the moment?

Where are you driving from?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From Lanarkshire way, it's not particularly great here at the moment either but I'd be worried about going further north!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what i've seen on the news it's Aberdeen that's had it bad.

It's mostly dual carriageway/motorway and the forecast is pretty good.

I suppose you could go by train?
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a tricky decision, Tartan_girl. I assume you'd be travelling on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday?

Judging by the Met Office forecasts there should be a fairly quiet spell of weather around that time, but there's still a chance of snow showers and icy roads, and forecasts aren't always accurate anyway. As far as I know, though, all main roads are drivable at the moment, though there is ice on the Forth and Tay road bridges tonight.

I think you have a very good chance of making the journey safely. Even though it may be snowy either side of the roads, chances are the tarmac will be black and snow-free. Have a look at Traffic Scotland and the BBC traffic reports for more information. On Traffic Scotland you can see live views of quite a lot of the main routes in Scotland.

Of course it's up to you whether or not you make the journey, and really the choice depends on how intrepid you're feeling. I think you probably have a 95% chance of making the journey safely, but I could easily be badly wrong.

Having said that, I'm supposed to be doing quite a lot of driving over Christmas and Boxing Day, and at the moment I feel much more like staying at home!
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't risk it judging by the weather reports.

TBH, I am sure your friend realised that he took a major risk holding the wedding in winter.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from light showers tonight, the Met Office doesn't seem to be forecasting any more snow. No problems on the travel websites apart from the general risk of ice. You're on trunk roads all the way, so it's going to be well-ploughed and gritted.

No guarantee that we won't suddenly get more snow, but it looks relatively safe to me...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    From what i've seen on the news it's Aberdeen that's had it bad.

It's mostly dual carriageway/motorway and the forecast is pretty good.

I suppose you could go by train?

I did think about train, but the trains have been pretty unreliable for me just getting to work during the week so I don't fancy it for going to Brechin.

I keep seeing different weather reports...which is the most accurate weather website?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did think about train, but the trains have been pretty unreliable for me just getting to work during the week so I don't fancy it for going to Brechin.

I keep seeing different weather reports...which is the most accurate weather website?

Met Office is generally most accurate.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Angus council have a weather warning here
    http://www.angus.gov.uk/new/Releases-Archive/2010/2010-12-15d.html

I'd try looking at the route on the AA or BBC and see what they advice but to be honest if the trains are not running and the road travel advice is not to go, then don't. You can also check webcams on the BBC travel site.

I am sure that your friend must realise that there is a risk in booking a wedding in Scotland in December with the weather! All very romantic but not very practical and he must have seen the news - it is unavoidable! I think you need to make sure you are safe for Christmas however disappointing for you and your friend.

Remember you have to not just get there but also get home too. What would happen if you could not? Do you have pets to feed, jobs to get to after 25th? You need to make allowances for the return as well as the arrival.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    The Angus council have a weather warning here
    http://www.angus.gov.uk/new/Releases-Archive/2010/2010-12-15d.html
    That was issued on the 15th, though, (i.e. last Wednesday), so it's somewhat out of date.

ETA: Angus Council does have a Winter Watch page that was updated today, but it doesn't say anything all that helpful other than to consult Traffic Scotland and the Met Office.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    That was issued on the 15th, though, (i.e. last Wednesday), so it's somewhat out of date.

True but it's worth keeping a eye on that site, our local council are really good for updating on local travel.

Edited to say: the Angus council are not... can't see anything else about travel advice :o

And in answer to the OP's question, what would you do? Nope, would not and if I was the wedding party, I think I'd have to live with it as I'd rather my good friends were safe, one less thing to worry about!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Shadow27. I think that's the advice I would give someone else, it's just hard taking your own advice sometimes! Properly gutted that people won't make it for my friend. He is English and I don't think anyone from his side can make it. I'm so sorry for him but I would be nervous about going and coming back.

Think I have to decide not to go, otherwise I'd also feel guilty about dragging my boyfriend up there.

Hope my friend can forgive me :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    True but it's worth keeping a eye on that site, our local council are really good for updating on local travel.

Edited to say: the Angus council are not... can't see anything else about travel advice :o
    I suspect the reason why Angus Council isn't saying anything about travel advice is that there isn't anything much to say. All main roads are clear, though many of the minor roads out in the countryside are probably a bit alarming to those of a nervous disposition.

However, there is obviously a chance (even if only a fairly small one, judging by the weather forecasts) that things could change for the worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still quite a lot of school closures in Angus and school bus services not running. Sounds as if things away from the main roads probably are a bit grim.

http://www.angus.gov.uk/weather/SchoolTransportStatus.cfm

Tartan_girl, if your friend is in Brechin at the moment, what does he say about road conditions in the area?

It looks as if conditions are worse in England and Wales at the moment than they are in Scotland:

http://www.theaa.com/traffic-news/index.jsp
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He says things are ok, that's what makes it harder to decide! more worried about getting there ok and getting stuck if more snow happens while we're there!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He says things are ok, that's what makes it harder to decide! more worried about getting there ok and getting stuck if more snow happens while we're there!

The forecast is good so don't think you'll have problems getting back.

Just give yourself a bit more time, driving during the day should be OK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    i live near brechin,dont go, the roads are the worst ive seen in years,and its snowing as i type
  • DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Snow isn't forecast.

Roads are bad but so long as you're not travelling out in the country (i.e. away from Brechin itself and west of A96) should be ok even in a non 4WD

Trains are rubbish but you should get one albeit probably delayed.

What about hiring a 4WD for the trip?
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trains are rubbish but you should get one albeit probably delayed.

Live departure board for Montrose here - a few delays but all seem to be running at least.
  • warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know about you OP but I missed my son's wedding on Saturday because of the snow. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shadow27. I think that's the advice I would give someone else, it's just hard taking your own advice sometimes! Properly gutted that people won't make it for my friend. He is English and I don't think anyone from his side can make it. I'm so sorry for him but I would be nervous about going and coming back.

Think I have to decide not to go, otherwise I'd also feel guilty about dragging my boyfriend up there.

Hope my friend can forgive me :(

You're welcome :)

I think you'd be better by train if you can do that - I go to work by train and despite grumbling about them, I am always safer on them than by car in icy weather and get to work more often than car driving colleagues.

I'd discuss train options with your boyfriend and dad, see what they think as I can understand their worries about driving. Maybe that's the compromise? Just set out in lots of time and be prepared for a few delays but if you find that the trains are not running on the day you're going then that's your answer, you can't go.

Whatever you do keep safe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know about you OP but I missed my son's wedding on Saturday because of the snow. :cry:

Oh that's really rotten luck. There are so many threads on people going to work it's easy to forget those who have missed events because of the disruption.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a friend that had to miss a funeral as the weather was so poor :eek: (this was in late November)

OP, do not feel too bad if you decide not to go - so close to Christmas it's just not worth it.