I 'Heart' Something-or-other

grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I 'Heart' Huckabees was on some channel or other other the last couple of days, which reminded me how I annoyed I was when people started referring to it as 'I Heart Huckabees' instead of 'I Love Huckabees'. Prior to that, the heart symbol on a slogan meant 'love' and that made perfect sense.

I know it's a f*****g heart, but it meant 'love'. Now every time someone refers to a slogan with a heart symbol in it, they say the word 'heart' instead of 'love' and it *really* pees me off :mad:.

Bloody Huckabees, bloody stupid people... :(

Grrrr...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    Can't see that it matters - we use love fairly loosely - we love Hagen Das - love holidays - love riding in open topped cars, love family, love friends and love lovers.

Language is complex - emotions aren't. It's a fairly safe bet that using a heart instead of expressing yourself denotes one of the smaller likes - however we pronounce an icon, the meaning is much the same.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    It was cute when I first saw it used in NY in the 70s. Now, not so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any opinion on Se7en?
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see that it matters - we use love fairly loosely - we love Hagen Das - love holidays - love riding in open topped cars, love family, love friends and love lovers.

Language is complex - emotions aren't. It's a fairly safe bet that using a heart instead of expressing yourself denotes one of the smaller likes - however we pronounce an icon, the meaning is much the same.

I'm sorry, but you've entirely missed what it was I was being annoyed at, trivial though it is. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Any opinion on Se7en?

Don't mind it :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry, but you've entirely missed what it was I was being annoyed at, trivial though it is. :(

Sorry - my bad - carry on venting :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't mind it :)

What about Gareth Bale running up to a camera giving the heart symbol every time he scores?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can come again :)
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I 'Heart' Huckabees was on some channel or other other the last couple of days, which reminded me how I annoyed I was when people started referring to it as 'I Heart Huckabees' instead of 'I Love Huckabees'. Prior to that, the heart symbol on a slogan meant 'love' and that made perfect sense.

I know it's a f*****g heart, but it meant 'love'. Now every time someone refers to a slogan with a heart symbol in it, they say the word 'heart' instead of 'love' and it *really* pees me off :mad:.

Bloody Huckabees, bloody stupid people... :(

Grrrr...
    Are you annoyed that the film-makers incorrectly called their film I Heart.... instead of I Love..., or that the general public incorrectly call the film I Heart.... , rather than I Love...?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Are you annoyed that the film-makers incorrectly called their film I Heart.... instead of I Love..., or that the general public incorrectly call the film I Heart.... , rather than I Love...?

I think I'm more annoyed that after the film-makers decided to use that term for their film title, the great unwashed assumed that it meant every other occurrence of the heart slogan should be referred to as 'heart' instead of 'love' with no-one kicking up a fuss...

...except me on an obscure thread some time in the future :(
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what about the ''new'' meaning of the word GAY? Language and the meaning of words change and evolve shocker :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    So what about the ''new'' meaning of the word GAY? Language and the meaning of words change and evolve shocker :rolleyes:

What about it? I find that saying the word 'heart' instead of 'love' is annoying. It's not a term used by a minority having to put up with ignorance or bigotry, so I think it's safe for me to be annoyed about it without my annoyance helping to bolster afore-mentioned ignorance or bigotry.

:cool:
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Your bad what? manners, breath, back,etc?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Your bad what? manners, breath, back,etc?:confused:

Maybe you should start a thread about it... :cool:
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'm more annoyed that after the film-makers decided to use that term for their film title, the great unwashed assumed that it meant every other occurrence of the heart slogan should be referred to as 'heart' instead of 'love' with no-one kicking up a fuss...

...except me on an obscure thread some time in the future :(
    Ok, fair enough. I was gonna say that the film's official title is I Heart..., so there's no point being annoyed at people for correctly calling it that.

Are you sure that it's the film that kick-started the whole I Heart.... revolution that gets on your tits? Is it not possible that the expression was already in common usage before the film was made and it was just reflecting that change, not creating it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Ok, fair enough. I was gonna say that the film's official title is I Heart..., so there's no point being annoyed at people for correctly calling it that.

Are you sure that it's the film that kick-started the whole I Heart.... revolution that gets on your tits? Is it not possible that the expression was already in common usage before the film was made and it was just reflecting that change, not creating it?

I can honestly say I'd never heard that before the film came out (which I've not seen by the way). It's probably the case that the film title reflects the way some people had been using the term before that - maybe in the States.

If that's the case, then I would class that with people saying 'should of' instead of 'should have' - a wrongism that seems to have taken hold for a lot of people.

'Should of' annoys me even more than 'I heart...' :(
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »

It's true that language changes, but what often happens is that words lose their original, specific, meaning and become used instead existing, perfectly good, words.

'Gay' has been used for 'homosexual' for nearly 100 years now, though it also kept its original meaning until quite recently (see the lyrics of "No Milk Today").

A more recent example is 'bigot', which had a perfectly good meaning of someone who won't listen to other peoples' opinions. Then it gets misused by a respected public figure (in this case gordon brown) and it suddenly means "someone who disagrees with you".

Similarly 'discrimination', which simply means ' informed choice'. There was also "illegal discrimination", a subset. But now, seemingly, all discimination is illegal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought people who say "I 'heart' this" were taking the pee out of those who constantly use the symbol (I <3 this) to express their enjoyment of something so simple yet use a symbol that means "love" therefore trivialising a powerful word.

Perhaps the symbol <3 has stripped the word 'love' of its meaning in the same way Facebook has stripped word 'friend'? Anyway, I don't really care, things like this don't bother me enough to get angry about.