Options

Official: Boy George & Paloma Faith join panel

Comments

• Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the 'boy' is in his mid 50s now.... Gutted for Tom. Especially if it happened the way he said it happened. :cry:
  • Options
    Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm not normally one for 'all things must be equal' and tbh i don't even mean this in that way, but i would have liked 2 x males 2 x females on the panel. personally, i wouldn't have lost any sleep if ricky had gone.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    Boy George for Tom won't be great, because while it might for a personality point of view, his live singing voice has completely gone to pot-

But Boy George is doing the judging, he's not a singer being judged
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    But Boy George is doing the judging, he's not a singer being judged

No, but one of the selling points of The Voice is the duets, performing with an artist that has seen it all, with Tom he always seemed to get the best out of his partners and clearly looked after his voice- Boy George hasn't (he also hasn't had a hit for a long time, much longer than Tom, so judging about the industry today like Ricky/Paloma/Will and even Tom can will be difficult) But from a TV point of view he could be great, so we'll see
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Visitor Q wrote: »
    It was only seeing this story that I realised Will was staying and Tom was going! :o

Not sure about the new mentors, does the show have room for as many as three eccentrics on the judging panel?

Boy George could be good, he has the potential to go off the rails and he'll be a bit bitchy but he's a clever, witty chap and seems pretty grounded nowadays. Paloma Faith, on the other hand, strikes me as a complete loon although I'll admit I don't know very much about her.

Of course most of the series is pre-recorded so nothing too terrible is going to happen.

Whether he's actually more grounded now is questionable, it seems like more media hype than reality. Did you see the recent BBC4 documentary about the reunion with Culture Club. He was absolutely horrible to everyone.
  • Options
    Visitor QVisitor Q Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know George's voice was shot, but Will can't sing at all and he somehow manages to negotiate the duets.

And yes, @Gigi4, you may be right about George's groundedness (is that a word?) being a media myth.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can Boy George ever replace Tom Jones? bad decision and they'll lose a lot of viewers.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Visitor Q wrote: »
    I didn't know George's voice was shot, but Will can't sing at all and he somehow manages to negotiate the duets.

And yes, @Gigi4, you may be right about George's groundedness (is that a word?) being a media myth.

His voice was bad but that was because he had throat polyps. He is on tour with Culture Club in the US right now and I saw some videos and he sounded pretty good. So It's a bit better now, but not as good as the 80's.

George can be nice or horrible depending on if he likes someone. So let's hope he likes the other people on the show! But he's still a diva for sure!
  • Options
    Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why has Tom been axed? His acts have won twice? Strange decision:confused:
  • Options
    Ryeboy123Ryeboy123 Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soapfan678 wrote: »
    Why has Tom been axed? His acts have won twice? Strange decision:confused:

he won once
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    With the addition of Boy George,perhaps the show will be renamed "The Voice,is shot"
  • Options
    MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boy George oh dear his lack of talent knows no bounds. He was in Jail why should I pay part of his fee. It appears crime pays after all.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boy George? I can see some Karma here and I'll miss Sir Toms YEAH :(
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Tom Jones and Will Young should produce an alternative The Voice. Both treated so shabbily by the BBC. Would prefer either of them to Boy George!
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boy George is a coup. Not sure I'll watch the show as I've never liked it but it will be interesting to see how he does. Simon Cowell will be watching closely too.

As for the apparent way they've treated Tom Jones.. that's a disgrace if true.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor behaviour from the BBC. I understand they only just made a final decision but they must have had an idea before, so why not have an informal chat and say "Look, we might go with someone new this year so don't put time aside specially for us". If they don't have those kind of chats with potential coaches then they can't expect to get big name coaches because any big names won't be able to put the time aside at such short notice.

Pleased Ricky and Will are staying but find the other two irritating. Been with the show since the start and really enjoy it but considering giving next year a miss.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MACTOWIN wrote: »
    Boy George oh dear his lack of talent knows no bounds. He was in Jail why should I pay part of his fee. It appears crime pays after all.

The operative word there is "was". He's served his time
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant to hear that Boy George & Paloma are joining the show. George should be an amazing asset to the show. He's had a very long career full of highs & lows within the music industry as both singer-song-writer & a dj & still keeps his ear to the ground musically. Paloma's a great contemporary asset who's also a very intelligent singer-song-writer & both are peacocks! STRUT!
    As for Georges voice, it's deepened and I like it just the same!. Saw him perform live, just prior to his prison sentence (he'd turned a corner prior to going in & was already quite humble), and believe me, he can sing!

I've read the autobiography & was well aware of his past 'bitchy' side, but, I think he's truly turned into a more generous human being these days. He always makes for interesting tv viewing anyway!
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    mr muggles wrote: »
    Brilliant to hear that Boy George & Paloma are joining the show. George should be an amazing asset to the show. He's had a very long career full of highs & lows within the music industry as both singer-song-writer & a dj & still keeps his ear to the ground musically. Paloma's a great contemporary asset who's also a very intelligent singer-song-writer & both are peacocks! STRUT!
    As for Georges voice, it's deepened and I like it just the same!. Saw him perform live, just prior to his prison sentence (he'd turned a corner prior to going in & was already quite humble), and believe me, he can sing!

I've read the autobiography & was well aware of his past 'bitchy' side, but, I think he's truly turned into a more generous human being these days. He always makes for interesting tv viewing anyway!

Agreed great choice. We really didn't need another season of Tom and his welsh posse
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom will have been axed because he was struggling at times I reckon. I went to some of the recordings over the past few years and this last year it was starting to become apparent off air , he struggled for the right words a lot. Not always , but occasionally it was quite bad. Most of the time he was OK, but occasionally there were sometimes where I thought he didn't know what to say or said the wrong thing. Sometimes unbroadcastable.

Singing though, he was fine still.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom will have been axed because he was struggling at times I reckon. I went to some of the recordings over the past few years and this last year it was starting to become apparent off air , he struggled for the right words a lot. Not always , but occasionally it was quite bad. Most of the time he was OK, but occasionally there were sometimes where I thought he didn't know what to say or said the wrong thing. Sometimes unbroadcastable.

Singing though, he was fine still.

I've often thought that. The others would have something very interesting to say but he would hesitate then just say something like.. "Oh yes, I really like your voice". Have been a fan of Boy George since 1982. Saw him in concert 2 years ago and he was absolutely brilliant. He is very articulate and knows what he's talking about. I'm delighted.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This will be epic!!!!

George will not hold back and love Paloma at last a real female talent. Another YES, that Will is staying.:D:D
  • Options
    HumidHumid Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the Voice has taken off the only talented person on the show for a bunch of 'no talented Who's that's'.
  • Options
    Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,175
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    How can Boy George ever replace Tom Jones? bad decision and they'll lose a lot of viewers.

Have to agree with this. Tom Jones is a genuine star and for a lot of people, the only reason to watch,

I think it's very short-sighted of the BBC to get rid of him, but to replace him with Boy "Don't you know who I am" George? What an insult!
  • Options
    Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,175
    Forum Member
    And Paloma Faith? Please, she is so affected, I cannot stand her!