Vacation

ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone seeing this?

Just did and, have to say, it's very, very funny. I think the last comedy I saw at the cinema and actually laughed, was 'We're the Millers', and this has a similar vein of humour throughout.

'Vacation' retains the cheesy charm of its forebears, but with a dollop of f bombs and vulgarity during its runtime (and for once, good to see a comedy that stays under 2 hrs..). Highlights for me were; the younger, foul mouthed bullying brother, Christina Applegate reliving her sorority days, the 'mud bath' and the roller-coaster confrontation, where I actually burst out laughing (very rare nowadays). The small audience I saw it with were in fits on some of the best scenes. The sight gags were great, but the script (rim jobs..ahem) was even better. I had the misfortune to see Dumb and Dumber To + Horrible Bosses 2; this is way, way better than both of those (failed to raise a smile at either). So, I was really pleasantly surprised at this.

I thought Ed Helms nailed the spirit of Chevy Chase with his earnest, often misguided optimism and Applegate was on 'Anchorman' top form. And it was great to see the legendary Chase himself, in a quite touching passing of the torch.

Whilst I'm not hoping for a sequel, if one did come along and matched the calibre of this 'Vacation', I'd actually jump on board. Worth seeing just for the younger brother and his evil antics (and bag attack..), in particular.

Highly recommended and a hoot - 5/5.

Comments

• MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was ok in places where it was funny and had some LOL moments, but they were very few and other times it really was a bit shit and not as good as i hoped it would be.

A letdown.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    It was ok in places where it was funny and had some LOL moments, but they were very few and other times it really was a bit shit and not as good as i hoped it would be.

A letdown.

Mark Kermode and Barry Norman will certainly be looking to their laurels.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The original was I think the first video I ever rented and I do have a soft spot for it-probably from the moment they bought out his "altered" car and Chevy just has all the right looks and glances to make the film funny. Great theme tune too. Seen some not so great reviews for this and was going to give it a miss. Might just try it out now.
  • foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not ever gonna beat the original!