Bye Bye VM

Had enough - 8 months of broadband hell and jumping through hoops with support staff that don't even understand basic networking.

Worst ISP in my 13 years of broadband.

What broke the camels back?

Got a letter stating my service would be disrupted on 5th Feb for essential network maintenance.

After that if I even upload any more than 10kbps my connection just fails.
The VM staff have been told to ignore the Total Broadband graphs which is why the forum stopped users from posting images.

Ah well - that's £59 saved a month (inc TiVO).

Comments

• Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be leaving when I move house too. I had a 9 hour outage today, didn't mind that so much but the fact they traffic shape so aggressively on 'fibre' connections annoys me. BT have stopped throttling, so I'm looking at TalkTalk with the IPTV, phone and Fibre for about £40 a month total. A saving of £8 over Virgin Media and that's with faster uncapped fibre.
  • nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bye bye then! No-one is going to miss you!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Had enough - 8 months of broadband hell and jumping through hoops with support staff that don't even understand basic networking.

Got a letter stating my service would be disrupted on 5th Feb for essential network maintenance.

The VM staff have been told to ignore the Total Broadband graphs which is why the forum stopped users from posting images.

How do you know Talk Talk going to be any better???:D
  • Captain WCaptain W Posts: 4,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I'll be leaving when I move house too. I had a 9 hour outage today, didn't mind that so much but the fact they traffic shape so aggressively on 'fibre' connections annoys me. BT have stopped throttling, so I'm looking at TalkTalk with the IPTV, phone and Fibre for about £40 a month total. A saving of £8 over Virgin Media and that's with faster uncapped fibre.

You do realise that it is BT retail who do not throttle/have stopped traffic shaping. Talk Talk still conduct traffic shaping and manage their network. They purchase their fibre service from BT Openreach. I'm not trying to put you off Talk Talk, just explaining that the service will be shaped.
  • Auld ReekieAuld Reekie Posts: 195
    Forum Member

Bye bye.:):)
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Yup, I'm thinking of ditching them as well. Billing service is an absolute joke. In 9 months they haven't taken the correct amount. Its never less, always much more! Bill this month is £71 which isn't to bad. The amount they took? £147.61.....They also wont give it back. Just adding it onto the next bill which is an absolute joke and I'm not sure allowed. Every service has billing issues at some point, but this is taking the piss. I have spoken to people further up but still the problem remains.

Broadband is excellent and must admit i will miss that, but tivo i wont miss. Well i will and wont. Its a great service. Just its slow as hell with these useless underpowered boxes. Deleting folders of programs is a painful experience. And the constant freezing when it records or stops recording something on the channel your on is really annoying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member

thats not nice..lol
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The number of people that seem to have connection problems is surprising. I know that if I could afford too I would have Sky for TV and VM for broadband.
    My Sky broadband went active on Wednesday but I kept using my VM broadband until it went off early on Friday morning and now I can tell that I am using the Sky connection. It is just not as fast.

The TV prices have got stupid though, I will not be going back to VM for TV, but I will be considering going back to VM in a years time for internet when my contract period is over if I can afford to.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    The number of people that seem to have connection problems is surprising. I know that if I could afford too I would have Sky for TV and VM for broadband.
    What? Three? :D

I think you'll find there are far more people who don't have connection problems than who do. They just don't feel the need to start a thread about how reliable their broadband is. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    What? Three? :D

I think you'll find there are far more people who don't have connection problems than who do. They just don't feel the need to start a thread about how reliable their broadband is. :p

What a stupid comment.

There are far more than 3 people with connection problems, maybe you should have a look at their support forums http://community.virginmedia.com/

Start counting :yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Oh to have the choice!

The only broadband service with a decent speed in my area is Virgin cable but if ever BT sort out the exchange I will gone like a shot!

I don't have connection problems but the email service is a complete joke. The search facility has been down since the 27th of February and despite at least two promised dates for resolution and a forum posting saying it was fixed it still isn't sorted and could be weeks away. Of course Virgin blame Google but Google mail doesn't have the issue and who was it who chose Google to run the service as it certainly wasn't me!
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Virgin will miss him, he is money lost at the end of the day. Might be small why else would they be giving away their services for half price for twelve months?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You might not, but Virgin will miss his £32
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    You might not, but Virgin will miss his £32
    Unlikely as many others will have signed up since paying much more, as the door hits him on the arse another person takes their place.:D:D:D
  • bbvbbv Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just tried to add broadband for my mother in law. She already has a virgin phone.
    Was offered the standard 14.50 per month for 30mb.
    Don't get me wrong I would love this deal if I lived in a virgin area but just seems expensive when all my mother in law does is check emails once a week. Asked for a cheaper and slower package, but they are just obsessed with speed.
    Kept telling me it was a great deal, 30mb is fast etc, not listening to the fact all my mother in law needs is basic browsing speed.
    Didn't sign up on the end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbv wrote: »
    Just tried to add broadband for my mother in law. She already has a virgin phone.
    Was offered the standard 14.50 per month for 30mb.
    Don't get me wrong I would love this deal if I lived in a virgin area but just seems expensive when all my mother in law does is check emails once a week. Asked for a cheaper and slower package, but they are just obsessed with speed.
    Kept telling me it was a great deal, 30mb is fast etc, not listening to the fact all my mother in law needs is basic browsing speed.
    Didn't sign up on the end.
    As 30Mb is now the base package it was you who was not listening as oddly enough if they no longer sell a lower package so strangely enough you cannot purchase one.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I take it that you also failed to look at their website where it shows quite clearly that the base package is now 30Mb if you want to check for yourself feel free to check the link provided HERE:rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you want a slower package then your only option is ADSL not Cable so next time rather than blaming the agent try reading what is offered on the actual website.:rolleyes::rolleyes: