Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 50)

Comments

• Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    So that's potentially two days (Tuesday and Thursday) that Emmerdale could have been ahead of EastEnders in the overnights, yet we will never know!

Eight days after transmission, if someone has access to the data they can go back and see the 5-minute-resolution Live + VOSDAL once the condolidateds are in (effectively tape-checked because the data will be derived from precise timings supplied to BARB by broadcasters).

However the moment will have passed and any gloating will have less impact :)
  • Options
    bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dubsj wrote: »
    Simpsons was C4s biggest show of the day, then First Dates with 833k.

Walloped by Five in terms of daily share for the day.

Thank you! Still good for Hollyoaks, maybe not so much for C4.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a very strong 3 days for channel 4, horrible night for them. Poor Run, what a waste stripping it like that.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    A programme that managed to be both moronic and patronising. Like being insulted by a toddler. And yet 3,188m people are happy to be fed this muck! :rolleyes:

It was hosted by Cherry Healey. That explains everything! She seems to be doing the rubbish documentaries Dawn Porter used to do.
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week's edition of Broadcast is free and available as a digital copy here - http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/home/digital-editions/broadcast-19-july-2013/5058425.article?blocktitle=Digital-Edition&contentID=40479.

It's got a few interesting titbits, as well as the usual ratings charts at the back.

I'm sure many of us would agree with a couple of the letters regarding Channel 4. Both anonymous but the second one hits the nail on the head:

"Channel 4 is in a ratings rut because it is chasing a mainstream audience that seems adequately served elsewhere."
    Page 15, column 2 - worth a read.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C5 - 764k
    SS2 - 372k ave - 692k peak (5.45pm)

The Open
    - ave 778k
    - peak 1180 (6.45pm)

Interesting figures for FTA golf and pay cricket.

Could see Thursday/Friday of The Open Championship going pay in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »

To be honest though, the programme was 11 hours long. Very, very few people would watch for 11 hours so the average is a bit meaningless. The peak is also a bit meaningless as there's not really a big moment in the first couple of days of the golf.

Really what you would need to look for is the reach, which I'm sure would be many millions as people dip in and out.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    To be honest though, the programme was 11 hours long. Very, very few people would watch for 11 hours so the average is a bit meaningless. The peak is also a bit meaningless as there's not really a big moment in the first couple of days of the golf.

Really what you would need to look for is the reach, which I'm sure would be many millions as people dip in and out.

True. I mentioned that in the Broadcasting forum. Would be good to have reach figures for long slot sports events.

We're watching both the cricket and the golf. One on the TV the other on Sky Go. I'm sure many others are, too.
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This week's edition of Broadcast is free and available as a digital copy here - http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/home/digital-editions/broadcast-19-july-2013/5058425.article?blocktitle=Digital-Edition&contentID=40479.

It's got a few interesting titbits, as well as the usual ratings charts at the back.

I'm sure many of us would agree with a couple of the letters regarding Channel 4. Both anonymous but the second one hits the nail on the head:

"Channel 4 is in a ratings rut because it is chasing a mainstream audience that seems adequately served elsewhere."

I read that myself yesterday. Very much hits the nail on the head. Channel 4 has become rather boring and way too mainstream.
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    After a very strong 3 days for channel 4, horrible night for them. Poor Run, what a waste stripping it like that.

Monday was strong, Tuesday at 9pm was strong, Wednesday at 9pm was strong. The majority of the day for Channel 4 is always poor, so it was only really strong in 3 or 4 slots over 3 days.

One thing that has really struck me over the last week and a bit is how well BBC One's 'Cost of Living Season' has done.

Great British Budget Menu (Thurs 11th 8pm) - 3.66m (19.6%)
    Nick and Margaret: We All Pay Your Benefits Part 1 (Thurs 11th, 9pm) - 4.55m (22.9%)
    Eat Well for Less (Mon 15th, 7pm) - 3.94m (21.5%)
    My £9.50 Holiday (Mon 15th, 10.35pm) - 2.65m (18%)
    Wheelers, Dealers and Del Boys (Wed 17th, 10.35pm) - 2.71m (21.5%)
    Nick and Margaret: We All Pay Your Benefits Part 2 (Thurs 18th, 9pm) - 3.77m (19.8%)
    Meet the Landlords (Thurs 18th, 10.35pm) - 2.38m (18.4%)

As an exercise in PSB, it was well executed and well received. Channel 4 take note.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jda135 wrote: »
    I read that myself yesterday. Very much hits the nail on the head. Channel 4 has become rather boring and way too mainstream.

Monday was strong, Tuesday at 9pm was strong, Wednesday at 9pm was strong. The majority of the day for Channel 4 is always poor, so it was only really strong in 3 or 4 slots over 3 days.

One thing that has really struck me over the last week and a bit is how well BBC One's 'Cost of Living Season' has done.

Great British Budget Menu (Thurs 11th 8pm) - 3.66m (19.6%)
    Nick and Margaret: We All Pay Your Benefits Part 1 (Thurs 11th, 9pm) - 4.55m (22.9%)
    Eat Well for Less (Mon 15th, 7pm) - 3.94m (21.5%)
    Nick and Margaret: We All Pay Your Benefits Part 2 (Thurs 18th, 9pm) - 3.77m (19.8%)

As an exercise in PSB, it was well executed and well received. Channel 4 take note.

BBC1 pandering is more of a PEB (Political Expediancy Broadcast)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some very decent ratings at 10.35 there. I know this was an area which would have less less funding under DQF. But if that slot gets far better ratings than anything on BBC2, 3 and 4, then surely it should continue to be well funded.

I don't like the idea of having any area of the BBC1 schedule badly funded. ITV is not putting any funding in to huge chunks of the schedule, and I would hate BBC1 to follow suit. It should be one of the things that make the channel unique, that whatever time of day you turn on, you get quality. The 10.35 slot also allows it to produce very different programmes that couldn't be found at any other time in the schedule. Very important IMO.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Realise it was a joke but if I made one about all the viewers of East Enders dying of AIDS or in drug battles, it would likely be viewed (and rightly) as in poor taste.

I think the same about the numerous ageist comments about Corrie OAP viewers dying off.

True as it might be....

:)

But semi seriously.

Fully seriously is there any evidence that Corrie is losing viewers faster than any other soap? I do not see it. So it must be replacing older viewers from the younger end or it would surely be dropping faster than younger skewed soaps like EE or Hollyoaks.

Maybe viewers to CS are more loyal, it does seem to be hovering around the 8 million mark most of the time. Also anything that is more young skewing can be fickle, viewers grow out of their shows. I'm sure this is what has hit Hollyoaks.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for that link - think that anonymous piece could have been written by anyone of us as it's what we've all been saying for the last 2-3 years. So frustating when the only people who can't see it are the people with the power to make the necessary changes and send Jay Hunt and David Abraham packing.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can also read the previous week's Broadcast too. And the previous week and the previous week.... ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some very decent ratings at 10.35 there. I know this was an area which would have less less funding under DQF. But if that slot gets far better ratings than anything on BBC2, 3 and 4, then surely it should continue to be well funded.

I don't like the idea of having any area of the BBC1 schedule badly funded. ITV is not putting any funding in to huge chunks of the schedule, and I would hate BBC1 to follow suit. It should be one of the things that make the channel unique, that whatever time of day you turn on, you get quality. The 10.35 slot also allows it to produce very different programmes that couldn't be found at any other time in the schedule. Very important IMO.

As far as I'm aware, the majority of BBC1 was protected under DQF.
  • Options
    AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Their daytime schedule is awful. No change ever and it is so stale.

Regarding the state Countdown is in- as much I'm no Jay Hunt fan with her moving the timeslot for it, doesn't Peter Gwyn have to take some of the blame as Executive Producer of Countdown, since he's been in the job since Richard Whiteley died?

Under Peter Gwyn, we've had the Carol Vorderman/Jeff Stelling farrago (and Peter Gwyn, as much as Jay had a say in that decision wasn't exactly clamouring to save Stelling either), the hirings of O'Connor and Lynam and now Nick Hewer.

And as EP, Gwyn must sign off those decisions i.e the hiring of Hewer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I'm aware, the majority of BBC1 was protected under DQF.

Indeed it was. The post news slot however was due to lose money. But with a whole new management team, DQF is probably pretty much history.
  • Options
    mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »

People seem to hate golf in this thread if the open ever went to sky I would actually scream this is the only tournament along the masters I can watch can't afford sky hate them the money we have to give them not going to happen we need more golf on fta tv plz:)
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People seem to hate golf in this thread if the open ever went to sky I would actually scream this is the only tournament along the masters I can watch can't afford sky hate them the money we have to give them not going to happen we need more golf on fta tv plz:)

Hating golf seems acceptable to some people, but any criticism of football doesn't seem allowed and this extends to the world outside DS. In ratings terms football has been walloped by tennis this year, although there haven't been any big football tournaments, I suppose, but some fitba fans hate other sports getting the attention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Hating golf seems acceptable to some people, but any criticism of football doesn't seem allowed and this extends to the world outside DS. In ratings terms football has been walloped by tennis this year, although there haven't been any big football tournaments, I suppose, but some fitba fans hate other sports getting the attention.

Agree I can't afford sky so I hope to god the open remains on the bbc beyond 2016 :)
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »

Nonsense, TBH, Football get's knocked constantly, a lot of time from you, but from plenty of others.

Not sure about this tennis knocking that went on either.

Golf doesn't do it ratings-wise, I love it myself, but it seems to becoming a minor thing in the world of ratings.

Oh and if going to Sky saves us from Aliss' wittering, I'm in favour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nonsense, TBH, Football get's knocked constantly, a lot of time from you, but from plenty of others.

Not sure about this tennis knocking that went on either.

Golf doesn't do it ratings-wise, I love it myself, but it seems to becoming a minor thing in the world of ratings.

Oh and if going to Sky saves us from Aliss' wittering, I'm in favour.
    I'm not can't afford sky :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed it was. The post news slot however was due to lose money. But with a whole new management team, DQF is probably pretty much history.

It certainly seems that way. Especially after the FA Cup announcement this week. It seems that the people who are getting into the top positions at the Beeb (Lord Hall, Danny Cohen, Charlotte Moore) are intent on restoring the BBC's creative streak, no matter what the price may be.

On the 'Cost of Living Season' I mentioned earlier, it was one of the last things Danny Cohen commissioned before he got the Director of Television job. Whilst his legacy will include the Olympics, Call the Midwife and The Voice (which might be positive or negative, you decide), the 'CoL season' will go down as one of his successes. It's nice to see some good investment in the post-news slot and I hope this continues under Charlotte Moore.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They convinced themselves that old fashioned mainstream studio audience sitcoms are dead (but Miranda and Mrs Brown's, The IT Crowd, Citizen Khan etc prove it isn't), and that we've got to be clever and comedy-dramatic and BAFTA-focused (Thick of It, Peep Show, Twenty Twelve, Friday Night Dinner) even though these brilliant shows are only going to ever draw a broadsheet newspaper reading audience. Ricky Gervais gave a sermon on the mount that proclaimed the big popular much loved sitcom dead, and his acolytes took him at his word, and went all clever and comedy-drama on us.

Yes, and the thing is that a lot of the sitcoms that Gervais champions from America are on primetime network TV and aimed at a big audience. Seinfeld was famously the most profitable programme in television history, The Simpsons is pre-watershed and appeals to all ages and things like Modern Family are all happily shown before the watershed. So it's perfectly possible to aim for a mass audience and be popular but also be really good.

It's not for the want of trying, of course, people like Armando Iannucci in the past have been trying to convince comedians to try for BBC1 (and if the likes of Iannucci can't convince you, I don't know who will). But if nobody wants to do it, what can you do?

What certainly doesn't help is the fact that so many critics seem to think there's only one way to do comedy. Inevitably everyone's banging about the "canned laughter" in Count Arthur Strong (neglecting the fact that all the great comedies have the past had audience laughter). That moron Sam Wollaston in The Guardian said the other month that BBC1 is not the place to go for challenging comedy. Of course it isn't! It's BBC1. For some reason people seem to think there's only one way to do comedy, which is clearly rubbish.

Things like Grandma's House and The Thick Of It are brilliant, the latter I would say in the funniest programme this decade. But it's possible to do that and a more family-friendly show. Sky One are trying, I suppose, but it doesn't help that a) they're on Sky One so nobody watches them and b) they all seem to be very similar and are more whimsical than funny.

I would absolutely love it if someone came up with a big mainstream sitcom that was clever and funny but also a huge mainstream hit, a British version of The Simpsons or Seinfeld I suppose, Frank Skinner always said he'd love to write a show you could watch with your gran and both enjoy it. I really want that to happen.

You can never write it off, of course, back at the turn of the century everyone was writing off light entertainment and all you were left with were low-key shows like Friends Like These in primetime with everyone being more interested in making late night stuff. But then The X Factor and Strictly turned up and big old-fashioned ultra-mainstream light entertainment is back. Maybe the same will happen with comedy.
    BBC2 always used to have a comedy night on Friday's, which then moved to Monday's. I'm not sure it would really work now, as BBC2 comedy is all very different - someone who likes Rev probably won't like Grandma's House.

It would be nice if sometimes they could be a bit bolder and put something at 9pm. If they feel confident about a programme, why not use the Sunday 9pm slot after Top Gear?

They used to show a lot of stuff at 9pm on BBC2 but when the BBC1 news moved from nine to ten, all the half hour shows moved to 10pm to offer an alternative to BBC1 and mean everything shared a common junction. Unfortunately the problem is now that it so often clashes with comedy on BBC3. I guess you have the same problem on Sunday with hitting junctions.

The comedy night on BBC2 didn't start as we know it until the mid-nineties, there was often comedy at 9pm on a Friday and things like HIGNFY at 10pm but up until then the 9.30 slot would often be used for factual programming, usually documentaries on more adult subjects and a bit more young-skweing than the usual BBC2 fare. It was in 1995 when they decided to show a triple bill of comedy and during the next five years it was home to all kinds of seminal shows, it would always be the first thing I looked out for in the Radio Times.

But putting three shows back to back doesn't always work, you can hammock some shows in between big guns (the new shows always used to go at 9.30) but sometimes they were too different to enjoy much cohesion, and they would have to rely on a lot of repeats to keep it going (even more so if they were to do it now). And if you launch three new shows back to back, if one flops then it can sometimes colour perception of the others.
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    In regards to X Factor's scheduling, I think a start date of August 10th/17th and the 7pm slot (for the auditions) seems right to me (It worked quite well for BGT).

But I thought last year everyone was saying how it was stupid to start The X Factor in August when nobody was watching, and they should start it in September instead? Which I still think is the right idea. Doesn't matter if the format says otherwise, change the format.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyB2007 wrote: »
    Regarding the state Countdown is in- as much I'm no Jay Hunt fan with her moving the timeslot for it, doesn't Peter Gwyn have to take some of the blame as Executive Producer of Countdown, since he's been in the job since Richard Whiteley died?

Under Peter Gwyn, we've had the Carol Vorderman/Jeff Stelling farrago (and Peter Gwyn, as much as Jay had a say in that decision wasn't exactly clamouring to save Stelling either), the hirings of O'Connor and Lynam and now Nick Hewer.

And as EP, Gwyn must sign off those decisions i.e the hiring of Hewer.
    I think such decisions are made at C4 level rather than ITV, though of course ITV got the blame for firing Vorderman. However messy that was though replacing her was long overdue and I do think host wise the only wrong moves in recent years have been Des O'Conner and Nick Hewer.

If there was such a thing as a national trust for television along with Coronation Street I think Countdown would be one of the few shows listed on it. I think the problem is more about the schedule as a whole now rather than Countdown itself - partly due to increased competition from ITV and BBC1, but mainly due to C4 daytime just being tired and a mess at the moment.

I do think the time is perhaps right to return Countdown to two series a year, each running 3-4 months - but as we've said many times daytime needs revamping and space needs to be made to trial new shows. Personally I think a revamped daytime line up would be much stronger with Countdown as a part of it rather than it not being there. The same can't be said for Deal or No Deal.
This discussion has been closed.