Best Radio Stations in the UK

2»

Comments

• Dave_GosportDave_Gosport Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Bollard wrote: »
    As a general all rounder - Wave 105.

I also agree! :D:D:D (As Rick Jackson says, Live & Local. Not in London, Birmingham etc) :D:D:D
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    Liberty Radio London www.libertyradio.co.uk/
    GTFM Cardiff www.gtfm.co.uk/
  • dgdavedgdave Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio 4 and 4 Extra
    BBC Radio Scotland
    BBC Radio Cumbria
    BBC Radio Ulster
    BBC Radio 5
    Classic FM
    Manx Radio
    CFM
    Westsound FM
    BBC Radio Wales
  • DiandalScotlandDiandalScotland Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Atlantic 252 was my favourite

http://tunein.com/radio/Atlantic-252-Tribute-s134499/

but i guess i mostly listen to the greatest hits network scotland

on dab.
  • Cymon HCymon H Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BEST TALK - LBC

BEST MUSIC - 6MUSIC / Jazz FM

BEST LOCAL - Radio Jackie

BEST PIRATE - Pointblank fm

BEST STATION - Radio 4
  • pepstarpepstar Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capital Birmingham
    KISS
    Free Radio 80s
    Capital XTRA (MOS on friday night is amazing!)
    Heat
    Heart
    BBC Radio 2 (Pick of the Pops, Sara Cox, Graham Norton)
  • MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pepstar wrote: »
    Capital Birmingham
    KISS
    Free Radio 80s
    Capital XTRA (MOS on friday night is amazing!)
    Heat
    Heart
    BBC Radio 2 (Pick of the Pops, Sara Cox, Graham Norton)

Agree with Xtra, It's better than Kiss's weekend schedule!
  • GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jazz fm for me.Dinner Jazz with Sarah Ward and Peppermint candy with the broken hearts.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isles FM (Hebrides):D
    Well, surely it depends where you live?
  • SimonjharrissonSimonjharrisson Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isles FM (Hebrides):D
    Well, surely it depends where you live?

Maybe, maybe not!!
    Most stations stream live over the internet.
    Hence my favourite, Solidgoldgem.am is an internet only station.
    :D
  • Kitt 2000Kitt 2000 Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Caroline..
    Its still around today almost 50 years after it started and gave the radio industry a god kick up the arse..

Show not to miss is Marc Griffiths Wednesdays 7-11pm

www.radiocaroline.co.uk
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gwylfa wrote: »
    Jazz fm for me.Dinner Jazz with Sarah Ward and Peppermint candy with the broken hearts.

I agree Sarah Ward is one of the finest presenters in the UK.

but Peppermint Candy (great music) but what a voice sounds like a strangled cat
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    re: World Service, since the spring 2013 schedule changes i think they're sounding the best they have in 20 years, i remember why i loved it so much.

i just wish they'd ditch the outlook bloke bannister in favour of the woman who filled in for him, the prog felt much less of a dreary slog when she was on air
    This is not my order of listening by any means but based on a sober judgement of current performance -

01 BBC Radio 4 Extra
    02 Resonance FM
    03 BBC 6 Music
    04 BBC Radio 4
    05 BBC Radio 3
    06 LBC
    07 BBC Radio 2
    08 BBC World Service
    09 BBC Radio Scotland
    10 Smooth Radio

11 Classic FM
    12 BBC Radio London
    13 The Wireless
    14 Mark Coles - The Shed
    15 BBC Radio Kent
    16 Metro Radio
    17 XFM
    18 SOAS Radio
    19 BBC Radio Somerset
    20 Radio Jackie

21 BBC Radio Lancashire
    22 BBC Radio Cornwall
    23 BBC Asian Network
    24 BBC Radio 5 Live
    25 Radio Pembrokeshire (ILR)
    26 Jazz FM
    27 Capital FM
    28 BBC Radio Sussex
    29 Heart
    30 BBC Radio 1
  • connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    BBC WM
    LBC
    talkSPORT
    BBC 5 Live
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    talkSPORT would be my choice.

I'm not saying it's perfect or that everything it broadcasts is exactly to my tastes, but as a sports fan I like having it on hand to turn to whenever a big sports news breaks and I think its live coverage of sporting events is generally very good. As someone who supports a lower division Football League club based outside of the area I live, I find their 'Around the Grounds' football reports show Matchday Live to be a really valuable means of following my club when I'm out and about on Saturday afternoons and I think the station's network of regional sports correspondents is excellent.

To pick out a few recent examples of other things they've done, I think their coverage of this summer's British & Irish Lions rugby union tour - they provided commentary on all ten Test and tour matches from Australia, with it being the first time a whole tour has been covered on national analogue radio - and their recent show containing the FA Cup final qualifying round draw - the first time this draw has been broadcast anywhere in 30 years - demonstrate the value of Britain having a national sports radio station, with them covering sporting events that no other radio station in the UK seem to be able to justify doing.
  • spotify95spotify95 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    talkSPORT would be my choice.

I'm not saying it's perfect or that everything it broadcasts is exactly to my tastes, but as a sports fan I like having it on hand to turn to whenever a big sports news breaks and I think its live coverage of sporting events is generally very good. As someone who supports a lower division Football League club based outside of the area I live, I find their 'Around the Grounds' football reports show Matchday Live to be a really valuable means of following my club when I'm out and about on Saturday afternoons and I think the station's network of regional sports correspondents is excellent.

To pick out a few recent examples of other things they've done, I think their coverage of this summer's British & Irish Lions rugby union tour - they provided commentary on all ten Test and tour matches from Australia, with it being the first time a whole tour has been covered on national analogue radio - and their recent show containing the FA Cup final qualifying round draw - the first time this draw has been broadcast anywhere in 30 years - demonstrate the value of Britain having a national sports radio station, with them covering sporting events that no other radio station in the UK seem to be able to justify doing.

It would be even better if Talksport had an FM license too. :)
  • Pablo79Pablo79 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Heard a bit of Fire radio in Dorset and thought it sounded pretty good.
  • pompeyfmpompeyfm Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Wave 105 favourite here with me
  • didasdidas Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    6 Music.
  • theseguemanthesegueman Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Most of my stations I listen to have already been mentioned - in fact I don't listen much at all now (radio has gone downhill for me) but in the end it's Kiss or Connect. Connect FM is a good local station that plays just about anything. :)
  • GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AL89 wrote: »
    I agree Sarah Ward is one of the finest presenters in the UK.

but Peppermint Candy (great music) but what a voice sounds like a strangled cat

Yeah,I know what you mean!The two girls are...excitable!!
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy Radio 5 from 4pm through to 6am. Peter Allen the veteran gives a good balance of interviewing. The football coverage is very good (despite some of the so called pundits). Theough the night there is a good mix of items. Then morning reports and wake up to money both give a good start to the day.
    At this point I turn over to LBC, TalkSport or Radio 4 as the Five output at this point and through the day is, to be frank, dire.
This discussion has been closed.