enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
can be anything.

Comments

• BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The need to get married roughly two months after an engagement, completely unrealistic for most people considering the expense involved.
  • hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How they can afford cabs all the time, drinking at the pub everyday, eating in a cafe everyday all willy nilly

How they always get a job right next door to them.
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How quickly couples get married. The most recent example I can think of is Jack and Sharon, after 6 months (or less?) they were engaged and about to get married and even got to the wedding before it was called off. It is unrealistic for people to get married that quickly, never mind 2 people with children.

I know Soaps in general are fast paced but I would like couples to be together for at least 2 years minimum before they starting getting married.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    How characters can turn so stupidly dumb when there's been a murder and they are involved somehow. They'll do things like talking to each other about what they were involved in when they are in the busy local pub
  • marlingmarling Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Characters shouting at each other. My OH is watching Eastenders downstairs at the moment and all I can hear from the TV is shouting. Aaargh!!
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ryanr554 wrote: »
    How quickly couples get married. The most recent example I can think of is Jack and Sharon, after 6 months (or less?) they were engaged and about to get married and even got to the wedding before it was called off. It is unrealistic for people to get married that quickly, never mind 2 people with children.

I know Soaps in general are fast paced but I would like couples to be together for at least 2 years minimum before they starting getting married.

Bib: That doesn't mean that they'll stay together though. Ten years ago one of my friends married a bloke within 7 months of meeting him. They're still together. I have another friend who got married after being with the bloke for 3 years. Their marriage lasted 5 years then they got divorced.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pregnancy plots.

Too many annoying kids.

Weddings.

Laughable so-called "tough" characters, such as EE's Phil, lording it over everyone.
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andybear wrote: »
    Bib: That doesn't mean that they'll stay together though. Ten years ago one of my friends married a bloke within 7 months of meeting him. They're still together. I have another friend who got married after being with the bloke for 3 years. Their marriage lasted 5 years then they got divorced.

Oh yeah I know but generally getting married after being with someone for 7 months doesn't work out and it seems like every couple on soaps are getting married in that time or shorter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    • Storylines that NEVER end (yes, Emmerdale, I mean you)
    • Poor casting/Actors chosen for looks when their acting is the pits
    • Inconsistent writing - often the writing can be on form one episode, absolutely dire the next
    • A character hierarchy/clique that dominates the soap, though this can sometimes be just one or two characters
    • Education is frowned upon or openly laughed at (You, Corrie)
    • Inconsistent pacing
    • Too many episodes
    • The same storyline runs to saturation point (Roy and Hayley, Corrie) and the same characters appear in almost every scene, then they disappear for months (Tyrone, Corrie)
    • Invisible children who appear about five times a year
    • Two dimensional archetypes (EastEnders)

I could do this all night! :D
  • lmcd08lmcd08 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the cheating and affairs especially when I watch all the soaps which makes it seem worse, I know happy families can be boring but why must almost every relationship end with someone cheating?!
  • BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,725
    Forum Member
    How they all work and live in the same area and nobody travels to the city for work. I'm reality all the soaps are within commuting distance to the city. How if somebody is looking for a job, they will discuss it in public only for the local business owner to overher and offer them a job.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    The classism.
    Believing that strong female characters have to be aggressive and motormouth.
    Convenient character changes to suit plot.
    Overreliances on pregnancies and affairs.
  • BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,725
    Forum Member
    In Home and Away nobody working at the Diner wears hairnets or bothers with hygiene and half the town goes into the kitchen for a chat with Irene/Marilyn/Leah/Roo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Police always have the wrong person.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Noone seems to think that they will suffer consequences for their conduct then act A) All aggressive towards the wronged person (Ronnie ) or B) Thinking they can still be employed by the relative of the wronged person (Alfie)
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    • Storylines that NEVER end (yes, Emmerdale, I mean you)
    • Poor casting/Actors chosen for looks when their acting is the pits
    • Inconsistent writing - often the writing can be on form one episode, absolutely dire the next
    • A character hierarchy/clique that dominates the soap, though this can sometimes be just one or two characters
    • Education is frowned upon or openly laughed at (You, Corrie)
    • Inconsistent pacing
    • Too many episodes
    • The same storyline runs to saturation point (Roy and Hayley, Corrie) and the same characters appear in almost every scene, then they disappear for months (Tyrone, Corrie)
    • Invisible children who appear about five times a year
    • Two dimensional archetypes (EastEnders)

I could do this all night! :D
    All this; plus storylines with no research e.g. the Amy adoption story and the choosing of a new vicar for the village church, both unbelievably inaccurate stories in Emmerdale.
  • perpet83perpet83 Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    The mad dash to the airport/train station/tube station/bus station to stop someone leaving. JUST. BLOODY. PHONE. THEM!!! Or at least drop in a line about how you tried but can't get through, phone is dead or something. Most maddening recently was Alfie's dash to the airport, and Kat, Alfie and Jean's frantic attempts to find Ollie before he left. He was only going to Brighton anyway. That whole storyline was ridiculous. If she was so unsure she could have just carried on seeing him for a while before deciding to move down there with him, considering how close Brighton is. And if they wanted a big dramatic decision at least have him move a bit further away than somewhere many people commute from on a daily basis.

Also, on a related note, people going away for a while and coming back with no idea what's happened in their absence. Kat had no idea Stacey had had a baby. None of the Slater's knew that Alfie had been in prison. Sharon didn't know Pat had died. No one knew Sonia and Martin had broken up til Sonia visited in person. Jean asked Kat to pass on her address if Sean or Stacey ever showed up. Don't they have her mobile number or email? Abi was totally clueless about Jay being arrested for murder. That shit would have been all over facebook. I'm an expat and I know every minute detail of my friend's and family's lives down to what they're having for dinner. I was amazed to see Mas skyping Kamil today. They rarely acknowledge that digital communications exist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,749
    Forum Member
    Just posted about this in another thread but this could still apply too.

You can walk in a place and get a job so easy without actually applying for an interview or having a CV...how unrealistic >:(>:(

:D
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just not interested in the miserable lives of the characters.
  • Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Ever:ybody has money when it suits.
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The amount of pregnancies. There's more now on soaps than there ever used to be. Oh and the police getting the wrong person all the bloody time. That winds me up even more!
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    They seem to be able to afford everything such as: New clothes every episode, going to the pub every night and having expensive meals every week.

To add they dump their kids off on every member of their family.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All this; plus storylines with no research e.g. the Amy adoption story and the choosing of a new vicar for the village church, both unbelievably inaccurate stories in Emmerdale.

I'm not fussed about the vicar plot if the purpose of it is what I think it is
    i.e. to get Ashley back in vicar mode where he belongs

but I agree the Amy adoption plot was just rubbish. In fact all of Amy's plots were rubbish. Actually, Amy was just rubbish. :cool:
  • Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hetty100 wrote: »
    How they can afford cabs all the time, drinking at the pub everyday, eating in a cafe everyday all willy nilly

And yet not a single one can afford a washing machine.:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    How often they change partners.