Curse of a baby face

2»

Comments

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pratt, do you get mistaken for a child on a regular basis?
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Just learn to enjoy it whilst you have it. It goes downhill fast!

Plus the girlfriend won't be leaving you for a younger model! :D
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    It has caused me embarrassment at times. I remember going on holiday with my mates when I was 21, the hotel gave all new guests a complimentary drink upon arrival. My mates along with all other adults were given a glass of wine, I was given a glass of Orange Juice! Mind you when I was 21 I did look about 14.

I guess it stems from me thinking that nobody takes a baby face seriously.

Also my girlfriend is 6 years older than me and I hate to think that anyone thinks shes my mother!:o:o

Hahaha orange juice! :D
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha I have a baby face too (as some have seen on here) - its always said to me in passing when I meet people... often asked for ID buying scratch cards and the likes but to be honest i've grown to accept it and have come to the conclusion its alot better then looking old.
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask how old you are? and what is your usual response?

I think in future if I see a survey through the front door window I just won't answer the door.

I'm 26 (:()

I just give them a funny look (automatic response) and tell them my age. I'm aware of my young looks though so I can't blame them too much.

I'd not mind looking young so much if I only looked 5 or so years younger >:(

some kids look older then me, makes me feel kind of pathetic
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pratt, do you get mistaken for a child on a regular basis?

I'd say 50/50. If I ask someone how old they think I am I tend to get anything between 18-24. If I go into a bar I can definitely tell that the staff look at me wondering if im old enough. Plus there's been a few incidents now with door to door people. I've been asked for i.d a few times signing for Tesco Home Delivery too.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    Well, it could be a lot worse.

I think it's an advantage. I looked much younger than my years until I was about 40, then it really started to catch up. So make the most of it!

Owen Jones is another. 28, but looks like a teenager. Maybe why he dresses like a geography teacher.

If only that were the least offensive thing about him.
  • catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be 23 this year and recently a bus driver thought I needed a child ticket - it's happened quite a few times in the last few years!

I work at a food analysis laboratory and about 2 years ago my boss sent me to a shop to try and find a particular alcoholic drink to use as a control sample. I couldn't find it, but if I had, I probably wouldn't have been able to buy it because I didn't have ID on me!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    Did he pinch your cheek and give you 5p?

Post of the thread:p
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Hate having a baby face too, can't grow a beard either, don't know why, but the hair just grows extremely slow, i'm 23 but look around 18
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having a baby face is no curse.
    The real curse is having a saggy wrinkly haggard face.
    Which would you rather?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having a baby face is no curse.
    The real curse is having a saggy wrinkly haggard face.
    Which would you rather?

You're right of course. Although I do believe that looking mature is more important to men. I mean who would a woman rather date, Brad Pitt or Justin Bieber? Having a baby face is fine if you are indeed 18, but at 31 it's just a bit embarrasing.
  • JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    I've always been mistaken for a lot younger than I am and in a way it is rather irritating, but even in my teens and twenties I accepted that there'd be more advantages than disadvantages.

I'm female and only 5 foot though, so being so short also added to the illusion that I was a lot younger. I didn't bother trying to get into bars/clubs in my teens as I knew it would be a waste of time even trying, so I was always so jealous of my friends out having a good time. Also teenage boys my age (and slightly older guys) never gave me a second look even though I was actually very pretty because I looked so young they probably felt a bit creepy about it :blush:

I think it's harder for guys though, as I suppose it dents their masculinity more, being mistaken for a teen or whatever.

Gradually as I aged I became more and more thankful that I'd been blessed with a babyface. Age does catch up with you though. I'm 45 next week and I'm never mistaken for a twentysomething anymore, lol, but I still get people taken aback when they learn my real age and I'm told I look a lot younger.

You just have to laugh when it happens OP - in terms of 'crosses to bear', it really could be a lot worse :)
  • yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 5'2 and aged 18 whereas my sister is 5'8 and 16. I am always told 'oh you must look up to your sister as she's just abit older than you' or 'can I talk to someone older' then proceed to my sister
    NO IM OLDER (:
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I'm 42 and only 5 foot and I could get on to a bus for half fare right into my twenties (though you shouldn't do that sort of thing)
    My oldest son at 24 years old took a picture on his phone of me and him and sent it on that snapchat thing. He got a few messages saying that his mum looked really young. I did point out to my son there was only 17 years between us and he has friends with more of an age gap.
    At Christmas a co-worker of my husband was delivering some alcohol for him and she said to give that to your dad.
    His workers though were all invited to one of their 50th birthday parties and hubby said that there was another 2 years and it'll be his which shocked them as they thought he was only in his 30s
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a Paul McCartney type of baby face as a young man,
    and like most,I started drinking with my mates when we
    were all about sixteen,and NEVER GOT QUERIED about
    our ages!
    Then,just after I had turned 18,the first pub we went into,
    the landlord looked suspiciously at me,and said' Are you
    old enough to drink lad?'
    Cracked me up at the time!
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    I hear what you're saying OP. I wouldn't go so far as to say I've ever had a baby face but have often been mistaken for younger, which now I'm well into my 30's and not a million miles off the next landmark (shhh) is a good thing.

I have mates who used to laugh at my youthful visage in years gone by who are starting to get bald and fat and if anything it's them who now seem to be obsessed over how they look, how old people think they are etc. On nights out, many are trying to appear younger like we're in our early 20's once more. :D

Enjoy it and just remember- who wants to look old and decrepit anyway eh? :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO the OP should count themselves lucky, it obviously means they look young which in my opinion is a good thing, shows you aren't aging that much. If you get asked for I.D treat it as a compliment or brush it off. Not worth getting stressed about.

I'm 23 and most people think I am 25/26 and a few people have said they think I'm 30 at the most!! When I go out and I get female attention I usually get hit on by 25-28 year olds!! The only person to ever guess me age correct was a girl who hit on my in a club in Norwich and she was 22. I've obviously had a tough life lol. I'm blaming that uphill paper-round..... ... in the snow :D

I've got a friend like the OP he's got a baby face, is small, and skinny - people think he is a student, but he is actually older than me! I keep telling him to take it as a compliment. I would love to look 18 still.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Big 50 is looming and I'm excited about it. I have always been taken as a lot younger than I am and I think it's great. My daughter didn't think it was great when a really easy on the eye late 30 something guy was showing me lots of attention on a night out. I was lapping up the attention and daughter was making vomit motions and looking horrified.

Child fare on buses and trains - bonus
    Asked for I.D. when attempting to buy alcohol when you are 37 - not a bonus ( - if you look under 25 they ask for I.D. round here)
    Window cleaner/milkman/someone looking for money comes to the door and says - is your mum or dad in? - bonus
    Window cleaner/milkman/someone looking for money comes to door and twigs you are the Mummy - not a bonus

I'm a short arse and I did have a baby face. I think the OP should exploit his babyface and enjoy it. A couple of years can make all the difference.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a baby face if you count all squashed, red and wrinkly.

I've never looked young, it's not even genetic I was just born with the haggard gene.
    Think female Ian Hislop, in 20 years time.
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julzei wrote: »
    I got on the bus with a child's fare the other week and I'm nearly 24. I just have to remember to take ID with me on nights out.

You might reap the benefits in later years when everyone else your age has wrinkles and you look 20 years younger. My mum looks young for her age at 68 so I hope I'm the same at that age.

My kind of guy ;) haha fantastic.
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be 23 this year and recently a bus driver thought I needed a child ticket - it's happened quite a few times in the last few years!

I work at a food analysis laboratory and about 2 years ago my boss sent me to a shop to try and find a particular alcoholic drink to use as a control sample. I couldn't find it, but if I had, I probably wouldn't have been able to buy it because I didn't have ID on me!

Why didn't you just get one? Bus tickets are ridiculously expensive. I'd rather get a child if I could. Obviously after school hours or on weekends / holidays ;) I do get them when I can.
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    It isn't so great around 18 to mid twenties. You want to look your age and all grown up. Helps with things like ID in pubs , buying 18 dvds etc.
    But when you get older it is great looking younger :p

I look younger than i am , being short as well doesn't help.
    When i went to a job interview she was shocked when i said i was21. I think i look 18/19 or so.
    I don't have ID but i would struggle to not get asked if i did go to a pub.

I must have a young voice as well because i got a spam call few months back saying is your parents in. I put the phone down in rage.
    I live in my own flat with my fiance , living an adult life. Parents pah.

It has it's negatives and positives. Right now i wish i looked 21. I will probably thank my blessings when I'm 40.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try parenthood. That usually helps the ageing process. You could be grey by Christmas 2015.