Options

Phones 4U cease trading with O2 due to poor sales (only 8%)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dontpannic wrote: »
    Better, more direct support in case of billing or technical issues, phones either come unlocked or can be unlocked for free.

I had a friend who had an o2 contract through carphone warehouse. When he changed bank accounts he had to update his account details. O2 didn't want to know as it was managed by Carphone Warehouse and Carphone Warehouse didn't want to know as they told him to deal with o2. Eventually he was contacted by o2 billing when they couldn't take payment.

I've heard far far too many stories like this from the likes of Phones4U, CPW, and various other online resellers. I'd rather just go direct to the network.
    Everything you've described there is simply crappy customer service from O2.
    It makes precisely zero difference where your friend got their handset from, O2 are the service provider, they're the company taking direct debit payments, it's their responsibility to change the bank details - as evidenced by the fact that they were the company to contact him when the payments stopped.

...only recently have they offloaded their O2 CS base to O2. CPW only manage Talk Mobile customers now I believe.
    They started migrating customers over to direct O2 billing years ago and, IIRC, they shut down their own billing and moved all remaining customers over back in something like 2011 or 2012.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    So what happens if EE or Vodafone pull out of CPW/P4U....

Not that there is much chance of this happening.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    So what happens if EE or Vodafone pull out of CPW/P4U....

Not that there is much chance of this happening.

In effect both those companies would cease to exist. Vodafone actively looking to exit the reseller market and handle everything in house from POS to account management.

EE has been actively exploring this for quite some time, last I knew they were franchising stores in certain parts of the country, whether they have expanded this is hard to say. Speaking to one of the North West regional leaders, there is expected to be about a 30-40 percent drop in retail space over the coming years. Manchester is about to lose one of its stores in the city centre, as EE begin to rationalise the estate.

As networks move towards more investment in new and future technologies, it is expected each network will also move toward handling the end to end process for all customers, consumer and business alike.
  • Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    In effect both those companies would cease to exist.
    If P4U lost one of EE or Voda, certainly that would be their death knell.

But CPW would survive - for a start, they still have O2, so that would still leave them with 2 major networks; also they have a stronger MVNO proposition than P4U and I suspect also a better home broadband business since they've been selling it for longer.
    Add into that the fact that they're merging with Dixons and they're in a much more stable position.

edit: and don't forget CPW's European operations.
    Yes they're UK-based but losing one network in one country would be quite minor to their business overall.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Step666 wrote: »
    If P4U lost one of EE or Voda, certainly that would be their death knell.

But CPW would survive - for a start, they still have O2, so that would still leave them with 2 major networks; also they have a stronger MVNO proposition than P4U and I suspect also a better home broadband business since they've been selling it for longer.
    Add into that the fact that they're merging with Dixons and they're in a much more stable position.

edit: and don't forget CPW's European operations.
    Yes they're UK-based but losing one network in one country would be quite minor to their business overall.

You make a valid point and I accept that, I suppose I ignored the fact CPW is a European business much like its soon to be companion Dixon Stores Group. My own mistake for being ignorant of their wider business.

I think CPW in the UK would be damaged by any withdrawal of reselling from the major networks, however Talk Mobile seems to be an operation that is expanding at a fair solid pace. The company has certainly diversified itself what with the geek squad and offering a more wholesale approach to selling airtime and devices. To be fair to CPW they removed sales incentives some years ago as it was felt that was putting their business in jeopardy from both a regulatory and public stand point. Staff are paid a wage reflective of the sales they are expected to generate, this has resulted in increased productivity and profits for the group. I know there is still quarterly incentives for each store but this ins't aggressive as that optioned by P4U.

Having worked in the business I would rarely hear of complaints coming from customers or businesses who took out a contract with CPW. Phones4U on the other hand....well I think we could all chip in on that one.

The mobile market in this country is actually finding it difficult from two ends, retaining staff and also customers. The turnover in phone retail and customer service is massive, EE is constantly hæmorrhaging staff in both its retail and contact centre divisions. I have witnessed one of the busiest stores in Manchster fill itself with completely new faces in 3 months. Those that worked for T-Mobile previously don't seem to have had as bad as those who worked for Orange. But its perception isn't it.

Point I make is, networks want to cut down on paying a fee or percentage to resellers as it eats into their margins. They are having to squeeze in other ways what with the declining revenue from roaming and such like.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do feel for EE staff, which have to deal with so many tariffs and permutations, especially when you add in double speed / extra tariffs, sharing and legacy Orange and T-Mobile stuff.

It's overly complicated and not helped by a website that is often wrong, and even when not is still hard to navigate. Thus customers are either unable to get info before going to a store, or are coming in to get help they can't get themselves.

If I worked at an EE store, I'd go mad. Fair play to the ones that do and stick it out, and actually learn all the tariffs and when they change.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phones4 are exploring new partnerships. Is a bit vague but they must be worried about EE terminating their relationship with Carphone Warehouse.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/news-list/news/industry/30392/phones-4-u-exploring-new-partnerships-says-ceo.aspx
  • Options
    Dean LambertDean Lambert Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit that when I have looked for a new phone in the past few years I have steered clear of Phones4U. Some of their prices are stupid. For example when I purchased a Blackberry Z10 from Carphone Warehouse it was £159.99, yet Phones4U wanted over £400
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit that when I have looked for a new phone in the past few years I have steered clear of Phones4U. Some of their prices are stupid. For example when I purchased a Blackberry Z10 from Carphone Warehouse it was £159.99, yet Phones4U wanted over £400

I just got a pretty good deal through them on EE.

Free Samsung Galaxy S5, 1000 mins, unlimited texts, 1GB of data, plus £100 cashback (Quidco). £29.99/month.