Did any celebrity deaths really upset you?

Comments

• OmlOml Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Lenitive wrote: »
    I remember that was some kind of rumour doing the rounds on Facebook - didn't think it was connected to Speight's death, though.

Yes that's brought back memories. As I remember the hoax rip Neil group on Facebook appeared before mark's death and I remember thinking it was strange mark died after that rumour had been going round.

I'm always amazed how many people are affected by Aaliyah's death. It seemed like she had only been famous for 5 minutes before it happened. Obviously it's tragic but I never really understood why people of my generation remember her so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww,i remember him!

Mr Timothy Claypole from RentaGhost, loved that programme as a youngster!

I still watch it from time to time via personal home recordings because they wont release the full series.

I remember Michael in a obscure comedy with Rowan Atkinson.
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robin williams
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Yep, just now.
  • Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think any death is sad, especially good people, even if you didn't know them.
  • Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, I was upset when Tupac Shakur died as I was a fan although if you believe the rumours he is making a come back this year?

Also Michael Jackson, he was my idol as a child.

Tupac Shakur is really dead. He cannot make any real physical comeback. I'm sorry.
  • GilashGilash Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Robin Williams:(
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    So far in my life:

Michael Jackson (2009)
    Roger Lloyd Pack (2014)
    Rik Mayall (2014)
    Robin Williams (2014)

As you can see here 2014 has been a really sad year for celebrity deaths for me.
  • Steph_CuckowSteph_Cuckow Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine was Cory Montieth - mainly because my uncle died 2 weeks before so was hard.
    Paul Walker as have loved him for years
    and finally Steven Gately
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,870
    Forum Member
    Never thought I would feel truly upset by a celebrity death but the news about Robin Williams has really upset me and as pathetic as it sounds tears have been shed. Maybe I feel strongly because it is an apparent suicide and I know what it is to battle depression and have currently been experiencing a decline of my own, so maybe that is why I feel like I do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robin Williams's death has really shocked and upset me. Though I am not surprised, as I knew he had depression and various demons. As well as really feeling unhappy at the thought that he won't turn up again to make me laugh (such a naturally funny man), I feel sure it will demoralise a lot of people battling severe depression.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never thought I would feel truly upset by a celebrity death but the news about Robin Williams has really upset me and as pathetic as it sounds tears have been shed. Maybe I feel strongly because it is an apparent suicide and I know what it is to battle depression and have currently been experiencing a decline of my own, so maybe that is why I feel like I do.

Stay strong in the next few days. I know exactly what you mean - just had months of it myself. It will improve; ask for help if you need it. I felt such a sudden sense of shock and empathy when I read the news, that it was like physical pain for a few seconds.
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston's were very upsetting because I had grown up with their music and loved the work of both.

Mary Tamm and Elisabeth Sladen dying was extremely sad, wonderful women both taken too young.

Robin Williams at present is a huge shock that I find myself feeling quite sad about despite not being a fan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Mike Smiths recent death was so sad and quite a shock, him and Sarah were so lovely
    Todays news is so sad, cant get "oh captain my captain" out my head... most moving ending ever
  • Dextor_MorganDextor_Morgan Posts: 1,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never been affected by a 'celebrity' death, until today. I really feel sad about Robin Williams death, maybe growing up with 'Mork and Mindy' and then really enjoying movies like 'Patch Adams' 'Dead Poets Society' and 'One Hour Photo' may have made this death more personal than others. Who knows.
  • cleo petracleo petra Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon-Eric Hexum died when I was 12 in 1984 and I was devastated. The TV show Cover Up he was working on when he accidently killed himself captured my imagination so strongly and I was constantly day dreaming I was his female co-star!

Something reminded me of him a few years ago and I spent hours looking up clips of him on you tube and reading articles about his tragic death.
  • joe-mediajoe-media Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Michael Hutchence of INXS. :cry: The situation around that was so sad with Tiger Lily also losing her mother a few years later.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    I was upset when Ayrton Senna died, he was my favourite F1 driver, and although you know the sport is dangerous he was someone who sort of seemed immortal.

Princess Di mainly because it was so unexpected and a horrible way to go.

Rik Mayall. I grew up with his comedy and I thought he was brilliant. Plus his death was unexpected and at a relatively young age. Seemed like a lovely guy as well, nobody had any bad words to say about him.

Robin Williams. He was such a one-off, great at comedy and straight acting. I loved his crazy humour, he was always a brilliant chat show guest he'd go off on all these different tangents, he was hilarious! Seemed like a nice guy too, very humble.

Lewis Collins. I loved him as Bodie and fancied him something rotten! Was very tearful when I heard he'd died of cancer.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Robin Williams has, probably because I grew up watching his movies. Can't say anyone else has bothered me.
  • Early RiserEarly Riser Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Karen Carpenter, driving to work on a roundabout in Wickford, Essex, on February 4, 1983, knowing that voice will never sing a new tune ever again :(
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - Michael Hutchence.:cry:
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Lennon
    George Harrison
    Michael Jackson
    James Gandolfini
    Amy Winehouse
    and now Robin Williams :( all of them geniuses in their own ways
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pete Duel
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been surprised that someone has died on occasion, if they were young or something but so far no celebrity death has upset me yet. There are a few people whose career I follow and if they suddenly died I might be upset.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    I suppose there is always a hint of personal sadness when someone you admire dies. A tragedy, whatever the circumstances, for their families of course.

Some people have asked why, as they weren't known personally but i do feel a sense of loss knowing that I won't see (or hear them) doing what they did well that entertained / uplifted me and in that sense there is an emotional involvement with them.

However, the news that profoundly upset me most was hearing of John Lennon's murder. It left me in a daze for several hours with a feeling of dejected pointlessness. I can still remember, with great clarity, every moment of the morning the news broke.

A sense of shock I suppose, rather like the previous generation had on hearing about JFK.