Options

TIVO vs V+, and TV Anywhere

Fred SFred S Posts: 35
Forum Member
We've had a V+ for years and are now wondering whether to finally take the plunge and get the TIVO. Would there be any functionality in the V+ that we'd lose by going to TIVO?

Also, I'd be looking to use the TV Anywhere app. I have a Galaxy S2, which is on the list of supported devices, but is rooted (with Cyanogenmod 11, 4.4.4), would there be any way around the restriction on rooted devices?

Comments

• Options
    Fletch10Fletch10 Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Not a clue on the second part of the question but while there are lots of improvements from V+ to TiVo the only thing you lose is the reminder option which automatically switches channels for you, on TiVo this records the programme as well which annoys a few people.

Personally I'd make the switch it's a much better box.
  • Options
    Red WimpRed Wimp Posts: 4,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the facility to copy to DVD is not so good, if you ever use that.
    That said there are many things Tivo has that V+ doesn't of course
  • Options
    davebav50davebav50 Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a TV+ box since they first came out and I switched to a Tivo when it first came out.
    So I have had one for many years.
    I also have a £69 Freeview+ Goodmans box and a Sky+ box.

In terms of simplicity and ease of use, the Goodmans cheap box beats the rest hands down - if all you want is to record and playback.

If you want many features, like built in network, 3 channel recording, on demand, catch up and netflix - the Tivo is the best, buts its clunky, has a horrible interface and is over-complicated. I use it every day and still hate it.

The Sky+ box isnt bad these days, has a better than Tivo interface but lacks some of the Tivo features.

The old cable tv+ box was good, but lacked the apps like netflix and 3 channel recording, but the interface was much simpler.

You may as well make the switch, but hopefully the Tivo will improve in the future
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fred S wrote: »

Also, I'd be looking to use the TV Anywhere app. I have a Galaxy S2, which is on the list of supported devices, but is rooted (with Cyanogenmod 11, 4.4.4), would there be any way around the restriction on rooted devices?

You can get apps which hide the "rootedness" which fools some apps into working. This may work.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    davebav50 wrote: »
    In terms of simplicity and ease of use, the Goodmans cheap box beats the rest hands down - if all you want is to record and playback.

The Sky+ box isnt bad these days, has a better than Tivo interface but lacks some of the Tivo features.
    There's a reason the interface on these boxes is simple. Because the boxes are simple.

Sorry if that sounds like it's stating the obvious, because it is. But you can't have a simple interface for something that does so much.
    You may as well make the switch, but hopefully the Tivo will improve in the future
    The main interface (ie the bits that are the Tivo not the VM add-ons) hasn't changed much since the Series 1 back in 2000 so I wouldn't hold your breath ;) The old "if it ain't broke..." adage.
  • Options
    davebav50davebav50 Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a reason the interface on these boxes is simple. Because the boxes are simple.

Sorry if that sounds like it's stating the obvious, because it is. But you can't have a simple interface for something that does so much.

The main interface (ie the bits that are the Tivo not the VM add-ons) hasn't changed much since the Series 1 back in 2000 so I wouldn't hold your breath ;) The old "if it ain't broke..." adage.

I was "living in hope" that with the recent change of ownership of Virgin, we may get some investment in the Tivo. Its frustrating in that its potentially so good, but fails on the attention to detail test.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    davebav50 wrote: »
    I was "living in hope" that with the recent change of ownership of Virgin, we may get some investment in the Tivo. Its frustrating in that its potentially so good, but fails on the attention to detail test.

Yes, would be nice to have some updates to it. Didn't Virgin promise 'hundreds' of apps?