Options

Apple loses Siri patent in China (so Apple sue Patent Authority)

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Apple have ran into problems in China with Siri. Another company called Zhizhen has been using voice recognition for several years before Apple started selling devices in China (ironically this is where Apple manufacture the iDevices). Things haven't gone well for Apple in this case so far and Apple even took the unusual step to not only counter sue Zhizhen but to sue the Patent Authority too :o However Beijing's Number One Intermediate People's Court soon put a stop to it. China is a new market for Apple.
Shanghai-based Zhizhen Network Technology has sought to block Apple from selling products with the app installed, saying it infringed its rights.

Zhizhen noted that it had filed for the intellectual rights to the underlying technology in 2004 and had been granted the patent two years later.

Apple countered that Siri used a different process to power its voice-recognition tech - a court has yet to rule on this claim.

Apple also sought to block the case by asking China's State Intellectual Property Office to invalidate the patent, but was refused.It then challenged that decision, suing both the patent authority and Zhizhen - but was thwarted on Tuesday when Beijing's Number One Intermediate People's Court ruled against it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28226582

Comments

• Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weird, I though Apple simply licenses the technology from Nuance.
    It is also quite different in having to send your voice across to a supercomputer to be translated.

The fact that Nuance is supposedly chasing other prospective buyers hints that Apple may think less highly than it speaks of Siri.
    Nuance itself became a megacorp in translation by buying up most of the voice tech companies, and patent trolling most opposition.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Why don't Apple just buy China.... with cash.
    That would sort it! hahahaha
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Best bet would be for Apple to have the case transferred to the US I think.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    Best bet would be for Apple to have the case transferred to the US I think.

I think this is more to do with patents in China?

Though China want to open more of its demestic market to other companies and latterly countries. It will do so with a firm grip on on the wheel. Simple fact is China is over and above the largest mobile market in the world, Apple have only just went national with the deal secured with China Mobile. Simply put when authorities bark, Apple will ask how high they want them to jump.

Its one of those rare occasions where a megacorp like Apple will take it like a bitch from a constituent country's regulators.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    I think this is more to do with patents in China?

Though China want to open more of its demestic market to other companies and latterly countries. It will do so with a firm grip on on the wheel. Simple fact is China is over and above the largest mobile market in the world, Apple have only just went national with the deal secured with China Mobile. Simply put when authorities bark, Apple will ask how high they want them to jump.

Its one of those rare occasions where a megacorp like Apple will take it like a bitch from a constituent country's regulators.

I don't think Apple suing the Chinese Patent Authority is any sign that Apple are taking it like a bitch. It's more like Apple behaving like a megalomaniac as usual :D

Yes China is an important new market for Apple but I'm not sure how many affluent Chinese there are :confused:
  • Options
    Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    China's rapidly growing middle class currently consists of around half a billion people. China almost caused a worldwide shortage of VW cars. Demand was so high VW just could not build enough, an VW even today have major issues meeting demand. Anyway slightly off topic ..........