Options

Audio quality

At the moment i use my computer connected to my hi-fi, and use spotify as well as music files to listen to music, but if i used my mobile phone(sony ericsson xperia arc) instead, would i still get the same quality sound through my speakers, as i would with my computer.

I hope this is clear to what i mean.

Comments

• Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Yes, it would unless you have an expensive soundcard installed.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are playing low bit rate mp3s then they will be so mangled anyway it won't make any difference. :D
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O yes, so very true.
  • Options
    Gary BrentonGary Brenton Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    akhenaten wrote: »
    At the moment i use my computer connected to my hi-fi, and use spotify as well as music files to listen to music, but if i used my mobile phone(sony ericsson xperia arc) instead, would i still get the same quality sound through my speakers, as i would with my computer.

I hope this is clear to what i mean.

Answer - NO, because a phone just hasn't got the same equalizer and Loudness equalization or even a decent sound-card as a pc. I have tried this on a few phones and I am a premium member of Spotify.

Phone audio is just designed to be heard through headphones...not through hi-fi really...

I have tried running Spotify through a Blackberry and a couple of other phones and the quality is like listening to a £2.99 battery radio. (tinny horrible and distorted)

I don't know what set up you have... or what speakers you use but the difference will be chalk and cheese.

Even as a premium Spotify member... some tracks on Spotify sound quite poor...although a majority of tracks are near CD quality. (here is a tip - try downloading the 'Spotify' equalizer - it does help if you have an average set up) ;)

http://www.equalify.me/

Personally I just leave everything 'flat' on the equalizer and the audio is just fantastic on my system - I can't complain, but I wouldn't even consider or even attempting to match the audio quality of a phone to a PC.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    Answer - NO, because a phone just hasn't got the same equalizer and Loudness equalization or even a decent sound-card as a pc.

You must be using crappy phones then, or excessively over-compressed MP3 files?.

I helped at a friends son's 18th a few years back, providing the PA - we had various bands and combinations of bands and anyone who was there (it was like an episode of Fame :D)

In between the different live acts we played music through the PA, from:

1) A CD player.

2) An MP3 player

3) Various phones that people happened to have music they wanted playing on.

There was little or no quality difference between the three sources, and all were perfectly acceptable - and certainly my Nokia phone sounds great through either PA or good quality HiFi.
  • Options
    Gary BrentonGary Brenton Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must be using crappy phones then, or excessively over-compressed MP3 files?.

I helped at a friends son's 18th a few years back, providing the PA - we had various bands and combinations of bands and anyone who was there (it was like an episode of Fame :D)

In between the different live acts we played music through the PA, from:

1) A CD player.

2) An MP3 player

3) Various phones that people happened to have music they wanted playing on.

There was little or no quality difference between the three sources, and all were perfectly acceptable - and certainly my Nokia phone sounds great through either PA or good quality HiFi.

All my MP3 files are limited by using 'MP3 Gain' and sound perfectly ok through my PC...but I wouldn't go so far to say that any phone will sound the same/ or as good as a pc and my last phone was a Nokia C2-01.

For my own MP3's I usually use Winamp with 'Stereotool' of which is great running through my JVC amp.

You will have to tell me the secret...or it could be the fact that I am very fussy to the audio quality I hear... :p
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my last phone was and still is quite good for sound, with various presets too. It was also very easy to control the music playback using just 2 button presses. The new, smart phone is a shadow of that, with no control over the audio like presets, and needs multiple taps and sweeps of the screen as well as a button press just to jump to the next track.

that said, nothing beats an original cd.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    If you are playing low bit rate mp3s then they will be so mangled anyway it won't make any difference. :D

spotify premium is ogg @q9