Mac mini G4 as a server ???

rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just been given an old Mac Mini G4

1.5ghz cpu
80gb hard drive
1gb ram

If I swap out the hard drive or use a couple of external hard drives and maybe up the ram can I use as a home server ?

Also was there a version of OS X server for this machine, I think it runs leopard but not sure...

Comments

• s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    IIRC those originally shipped with 10.3. They will go up to 10.5 but the board is limited to 1GB max so the performance might be a bit ropey.

If all you are wanting to do is use it as a file store you may as well stick with what is on there and enable the samba filesharing. The majority of features in OS X server are unnecessary for a home environment.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably better to find it a new home and use the proceeds for something newer, there should be versions of os X server for pretty much everything its just recently they stopped the actual 'server' hardware not the software but finding the right software is probably going to be fun

But usage as a server really depends like anything on what you're going to store on it and how much pressure its going to be under, but remember to back it up as the real ICloud doesn't have a restore option as a certain guy discovered :p
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just wanted it as a htpc sort of thing and use it as a time capsule by adding a few external drives

it works really well for general internet/email stuff

wouldnt attempt anything stronger thats what the imac is for
    Forum Member
    Maybe something like PS3 media server, not sure if they do a PPC version or if its just Intel though. This would give you DLNA streaming.

For basic storage, any old hard disks and the SMB/Windows sharing option. This is fairly standard and will work with both Windows, mac and various other devices.

If you want to use Time Machine then you will need 10.5 (Leopard) if you dont already have it. Otherwise I would imagine there is some freeware that can accomplish similar results.

iCloud is a no-go since you need 10.7 or later. A quick search suggests dropbox seems to support PPC if you want cloud storage.
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ppc ?
    Forum Member
    rottweiler wrote: »
    Ppc ?
    PowerPC, the architecture used by older macs...the mac you have has a PowerPC G4 processor. They can't run Intel applications so you are limited to those that are marked either as PPC or Universal. This is also the main reason why you cant put an OS later than 10.5 on it. Basically you are going to struggle to get much in the way of modern software working on it but there are usually alternatives or older versions that work.