Options

Best Music platform?

David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
Forum Member
✭✭✭
do you prefer, mp3s, cd, tape, vinyl, minidisc.......

I thought i would write this as my trusted sony phone with built in mp3 is not working at the moment, and wanted some music in the car so put a few cds in there. I was quite shocked at how much better cd sounds compared with mp3. So much nicer, and so clear with lots of detail.

I never did like tapes very much, so wasnt sorry to see the back of those. Poor sound and not very stable (best example being a tight tape which wouldnt play in a battery walkman but would play on a mains tape deck). Clockwork tech, not very good you see.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mp3/digital download is far more convenient. I still buy CD's but use my laptop and itunes to put them on my ipod touch. When i'm in the house I will listen to the CD though.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i do agree that mp3 is a bit more convenient than cd, but in terms of DRM issues, ease of use/setup, and sound quality, it doesnt match cd, even on run of the mill everyday sound systems.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SACD is impressive. First time I ever heard it was when I listened to "War Of The Worlds" on a machine my father had. As I said. I do prefer listening to CD's when i'm in the house. Just sounds better.
  • Options
    Gary BrentonGary Brenton Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry guys... CD all the way...followed by a 192+ bitrate MP3.

I don't specifically trust MP3 (stored) as accidents have happened and I have lost so many music files in the past...that's why I prefer good old trusted CD as I have always got a back-up copy.

MP3 is definately more convenient and can be played back to back on winamp and almost everything supports MP3 anyway - albeit I personally think M4A sounds better than MP3....
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    ...wanted some music in the car so put a few cds in there. I was quite shocked at how much better cd sounds compared with mp3....
    LMAO... what a shocker! What's your next revelation to be; that fillet steak tastes better than McDonalds?

Personally I only use compressed formats either on the move or for background listening. It's vinyl and CD for main sources at home. Oh, and I also use a proper camera rather than a phone for anything other than ad hoc snaps and guess what, my pictures have detail, colour and depth. Who'd have thought it, eh?
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i prefer FLAC. you can get the exact same sound as CD, or even higher quality with 24 bit recordings. i play most music digitally unless i just come across the actual cd and find it's not ripped to the pc and i want to play it straight away. my two main pc's connect digitally to the corresponding rooms amps, plus i have streamers and networking so could play a file on a pc in another room. a HDD is the size of about 5 cds and holds thousands of them
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LMAO... what a shocker! What's your next revelation to be; that fillet steak tastes better than McDonalds?

Personally I only use compressed formats either on the move or for background listening. It's vinyl and CD for main sources at home. Oh, and I also use a proper camera rather than a phone for anything other than ad hoc snaps and guess what, my pictures have detail, colour and depth. Who'd have thought it, eh?

Pretty much the same for me as well.

Vinyl & CD through my Hi-fi for "proper" listening.

MP3 for travelling and background music.

Oh, and I also have a proper camera for the same reason! ;-)