Options

Films you won't watch on principle?

Comments

• Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mark27b wrote: »
    I also try to avoid the J. J. Abrams Star Trek movies as the timeline reboot / destruction of Vulcan etc... wiped out everything that happen post that event in the original Kirk tv series, TNG, DS9, Voyager and the previous cinema movies with the exception of Enterprise.

Incorrect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    afx237vi wrote: »
    How are principles involved in these examples? They're just films you don't like the look of.

The Interneship is an advert for Google. Not concerned it's about Google in particular, but that it's a huge corporation making a film about itself then shoving it in my face constantly. The rest is gravy.
  • Options
    mark27bmark27b Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Incorrect.

Not sure how you mean incorrect. Enterprise and the events pre-vulcan destruction are one timeline and everything post destruction are another now alternative timeline to the now main J. J. Abraham timeline.

For example how can post Vulcan destruction Kirk & Spock in classic series episode Amok Time visit Vulcan later in their timeline together? The planet's not there any more!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mark27b wrote: »
    Not sure how you mean incorrect. Enterprise and the events pre-vulcan destruction are one timeline and everything post destruction are another now alternative timeline to the now main J. J. Abraham timeline.

For example how can post Vulcan destruction Kirk & Spock in classic series episode Amok Time visit Vulcan later in their timeline together? The planet's not there any more!

The creation of a new timeline did not eradicate or write over the "original" timeline. Things will of course transpire differently in the the current movie timeline. The two (and the infinite other timelines) co-exist.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    At the risk of sounding like Dave Spart, I won't watch Michael Bay films anymore because
    they are jingoistic, militaristic and have a creepy attitude to women. :(

And they also stink to high heaven, of course. ;)
  • Options
    icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Star Wars ,The most over rated film of all time .I'm almost made out to be a criminal when I talk about it .Crap acting and crap story .
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brokeback Mountain.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Hmm, let's see. I am pretty open minded and will give most things a go on dvd, although I cannot find it in me to watch the likes of (new) st trinians, spiceworld, scary movie, inbetweeners type dross (not to offend fans, I just can't watch them)
  • Options
    SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    movies were the female lead has a job (usually at a magazine company:rolleyes:)

meets a guy, hates him

they fall in love :yawn:

seen it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sex wrote: »
    movies were the female lead has a job (usually at a magazine company:rolleyes:)

meets a guy, hates him

they fall in love :yawn:

seen it.

Lol devil wears Prada, I was forced to watch it..meh!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't believe they are remaking robocop, that's a classic 18 that I saw when I was 10 lol.12a no chance..

Crikey next they'll be remaking 1984 to a pg..
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    I can't believe they are remaking robocop, that's a classic 18 that I saw when I was 10 lol.12a no chance..

Crikey next they'll be remaking 1984 to a pg..

Or a PG Dirty Harry where he uses the most powerful non-lethal weapon in the world.
  • Options
    lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The queen as I think it's distasteful
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Basically any film Barry Norman likes I avoid.
  • Options
    baldtonybaldtony Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    The Italian Job remake.

Never going to watch that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    The creation of a new timeline did not eradicate or write over the "original" timeline. Things will of course transpire differently in the the current movie timeline. The two (and the infinite other timelines) co-exist.

There is only one timeline, your thinking of alternative realities.

In the new Star Trek anything post the destruction of the Kelvin is now in the new timeline effectively obliterating everything post this date from the original lore and allowing Abrams the ability to do whatever he wants with the franchise with no limitations or issues trying to fit around the original lore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old.Tallen wrote: »

In the new Star Trek anything post the destruction of the Kelvin is now in the new timeline effectively obliterating everything post this date from the original lore and allowing Abrams the ability to do whatever he wants with the franchise with no limitations or issues trying to fit around the original lore.

You're wrong. It was explained very clearly in the movie, not to mention it was confirmed by the writers. Think of the new movie timeline/reality as another Mirror universe.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Films with Matthew McConaughey.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    afx237vi wrote: »
    How are principles involved in these examples? They're just films you don't like the look of.

Steven Segal gives the impression of being a tosspot with a pony tail and a lot of American Rom coms have trailers that are sickly and feeble.
    I have watched films with extreme violence and horror. Also films with directors and actors with questionable morals, I must have low principles then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    The Hobbit films

1) The Lord of the Rings films bored me
    2) It's not a film version of the book, it's a mixture of the book, another book and some original stuff.
    3) It's in two or possibly three parts when the original book is only the length of one film
    4) The films are overlong for no reason in a desperate attempt to appear to be epic
    5) All the hype around the films makes me have no interest in seeing the films at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steven Segal gives the impression of being a tosspot with a pony tail and a lot of American Rom coms have trailers that are sickly and feeble.
    I have watched films with extreme violence and horror. Also films with directors and actors with questionable morals, I must have low principles then.

All "action stars", from Arnie, to Bruce Willis to Stallone and Segal are reactionary tosspots, too. It seems you can only join the Action Club if you are a Republican.
    baldtony wrote: »
    The Italian Job remake.

Never going to watch that.

Ditto Get Carter.
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Brokeback Mountain and Mama Mia... Could people be any more small minded?

Why am I even asking? Of course they couldn't! :P
  • Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything with Mel Gibson in since he was exposed as an utterly vile c*nt. It;s a shame because I loved the Lethal Weapon films
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Jack Reacher - because Tom Cruise is not, and should never have been allowed to attempt to pretend to be, Jack Reacher.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old.Tallen wrote: »

I believe the film actually uses the term "alternate reality," to describe the change in the timeline. Hence the reason the original timeline from the beginning of TOS to the end of Voyager is now being referred to as the "prime" universe in official media.