Options

All recordings have disappeared

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
Forum Member
I was shaving some problems with my Hummy this morning. It wouldn't do a manual record, and sometimes pausing live tv was causing the screen to go blank.

The disk was close to full so I deleted a few to make sure there was plenty of space, then did a full power-off reboot.

The manual record problem has now gone away but so have all my recordings :eek: I've done a test recording, and that appears alone in the recorded programs list, as recording 1. Yet the hard disk is still showing 109GB used :confused:

Any suggestions as to how I might get my recordings back? There's stuff in there I really want to watch.

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    There is a whole thread on this problem............

"Lost ALL my recordings"

..... it used to occur with 1.00.04 not been reported on 1.00.06

there is a way of getting SOME recordings back , read up aboout the '1 minute recording' trick

put simply, your programs should still be on disc and there is still an index on disc, but you can't see it

by making lots ('lots' depends on how many recordings you used to have) of 1 minute recordings you SHOULD find that each of the new 1 minute recordings has been linked to one of your original recordings

you should now be able to watch these recordings and transfer them to a PC

BUT ... unfortunately this only works for viewing on the HUMAX if your new recording is on the same channel as the original recording ...........

So if the majority of your important lost recording were on BBC1 (for example) then make all your new 1 minute recordings on BBC1 (just sit there pressing 'record' wait one minute, stop recording and then do it all again....and again....)

you can check whether this works by viewing your first few 1 minute recordings to see if you have picked up any original recordings...

do this AS SOON AS POSSIBLE as any new long recordings will start overewriting old recordings ........ the more time passes the more you lose ...

......some people have reported being able to transfer these new recordings to a PC and extract the original recording using ProjectX even when the 1 minute recording was made on a different channel to the original recording ............

good luck
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    What version software are you using
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I've just got the same problem. I set the timer to record "Cracker". Just to check I pressed the play button to bring up the display on the screen and noticed there was no recording going on. I started a manual record and then checked the "recorded programmes list" button. In stead of the "recording in progress" icon there was a yellow box with a green blob icon? I tried another channel with the same result.
    I did first a reboot which didn't sort the problem and then a "return to default". This cured the problem as regards recording but like andy295 I've lost all my old recordings. I'm using software version 1.06
  • Options
    tomblandford11tomblandford11 Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    The one minute recording method does work. I had to do it 6 months back. It's very time consuming tho.

If you record on a different channel (MUX) to the original, you can watch it in VLC Media Player (most of the time) without the need to get to grips with ProjectX and demux it.

Make sure the recordings you make are at least 1 minute long. Any less and they will not be on the playlist.

Set 20 timers for later in the evening, then another 20 etc. Like I said it's time consuming!
  • Options
    ChrisHayChrisHay Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Should you decide to not bother with the methods described above you need not worry about the 109gb still on the disc. New recordings will overwrite until you have over 109gb and then the amount of space left will display correctly.
    I have previously lost all my recordings and took the attitude that most channels seem to repeat programs again and again so there was no need to go through the one minute recording process.
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrisHay wrote:
    Should you decide to not bother with the methods described above you need not worry about the 109gb still on the disc. New recordings will overwrite until you have over 109gb and then the amount of space left will display correctly.

Personally I think this is risky advice. I think continuing to use any form of computing device with a damaged file system is unwise. In my opinion it is much safer to do a reformat which only takes a few seconds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I spoke to Humax today. They said I should upgrade to software 1.00.08 and reformat the hard disk, There wasn't any way to recover the lost recordings. I assume he meant no easy way. I can't be bothered myself to try the salvage methods mentioned. I guess I'll have to wait for the programmes to be repeated as ChrisHay says.

He did say v1.00.08 might not ever be an OTA upgrade as they might go straight to v1.00.09