Options

UK Freesat channels using Sky HD box in Spain?

itmitm Posts: 225
Forum Member
We recently stayed at an apartment in Mallorca which had a satellite feed, pointing at the Astra 19.2E satellite. The only English channel was Sky News, but I was wondering whether it would have been possible to receive the UK free-to-air satellite channels (e.g. BBC & ITV) if we brought a Sky HD box from the UK? I have an old Sky viewing card, but have not been a Sky subscriber for several years.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to view UK channels this way?

Comments

• Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know whether it's possible to view UK channels this way?

There's a limited free to air/Freesat selection of English language channels but a larger selection of paid Sky channels.

The only applicable channel groups are those marked with a Europe heading, i.e. they're broadcast to Western Europe and not just to the UK and ROI: http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php
  • Options
    itmitm Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Presumably there's no way of getting any more English language channels if the dish is pointed at 19.2 degrees?
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are a few English language channels (nearly all Freesat channels) on 19.2 - Insight HD (same as on Sky/Freesat), CNBC, France 24 English, Euronews, BBC World News, Russia Today, CNN, Bloomberg, NHK World (same as on Sky/Freesat), and Al Jazeera English. Most are news channels but do show documentaries. Many of the channels do show Movies and some US entertainment shows with alternative "original language" audio channels.