ZX Spectrum

124»

Comments

• TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, happy memories. My brother and I got a Spectrum for Xmas in around 1982 but had found where my parents had hidden it so the weeks leading up to Xmas were spent rushing home from school, carefully unpacking it, playing it while my parents were both at work then carefully replacing it. We even managed to feign surprise on the big day when we unwrapped it for real!!
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rory r wrote: »
    Magic memories. The Great Escape was a brilliant game.

I remember an issue of Crash had a pull out map of the Great Escape and I managed to progress loads thanks to that. Still never managed to finish it though. Maybe it's time to find it on an emulator and this time show it who's boss!!
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had numerous spectrums ... But did anyone have the Alan Sugar spectrum +2? It was a dark grey and was incompatable with 99% of games available ... My friend had the original light grey version which played everything mine didn't. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Used to love playing Football Director and Football Manager:) , got a picture somewhere of my brother falling asleep waiting for the spectrum to load up:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After years & years of retro gaming with my nes, snes, mega drive and n64 I've recently bought a ZX Spectrum togther with a box of games at a car boot sale.

WHERE HAS THIS THING BEEN ALL MY LIFE! ....AWESOME!

Spectrum's sucked. I was a Commodore 64 boy :D
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too but I can't deny the Spectrum had some great games. I still play Jetpac now on emulators.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The C64 was a good games machine, too. Unfortunate that Ultimate never produced anything worthwhile for it.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still remember some of the pokes.
  • Scalper JackScalper Jack Posts: 4,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can play without an emulator direct from WOS site... if you have JAVA installed. Click the big black square under the "Download and play links" on the left hand side.

You can also load games from WOS site into real a ZX Spectrum. I don't know how but you can. The files are from the original tapes. The format just makes them sped-up and load in a few seconds.

As there's lots on WOS, I would either browse the changing Top 100, or try an advanced search by year to see some of the new ones as they still make them. These are a few good recent titles for example...

Uwol, Quest for Money
    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0024081

Horace in the Mystic Woods
    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0025136

Subacuatic
    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0023884

There are also some old games never released that authors have found and put up on the site. Also some interesting foreign games recently converted into English language - this is a good example of one...

Towdie
    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0005352
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I played these games when I was a kid, Jet Set Willy and Jumping Jack and Tranz Am et al, adored them but...

I've played them on emulators since and they are almost impossibly slow and short only their, at times, incredible difficulty, gave them any longevity.

They're gorgeous for nostalgia and have historical importance but, if you're anything less than a hard core gaming fanatic who wants to experience the archives then they're little more than a novelty
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use ZXSpin emulator
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I played these games when I was a kid, Jet Set Willy and Jumping Jack and Tranz Am et al, adored them but...

I've played them on emulators since and they are almost impossibly slow and short only their, at times, incredible difficulty, gave them any longevity.

They're gorgeous for nostalgia and have historical importance but, if you're anything less than a hard core gaming fanatic who wants to experience the archives then they're little more than a novelty

Some of them are still very enjoyable (to me, anyway). Examples:-

Cookie - Imo would have made a good arcade game conversion. Precise controls, fast moving, clear graphics.

Deathchase - Simple gameplay that works well. The sensation of riding at speed through the increasingly dense forest is just as effective now as it was then.

Chuckie Egg - Still addictive! I actually prefer the Amstrad version over the Spectrum one, but they're both good.

The Pyramid - Which someone mentioned in this thread. The compulsion to battle through to the exit is still strong. Tight controls.

Laser Squad - Fun turn based tactical combat. Worth playing now, even with it's great grandchild XCOM Enemy Unknown on sale.

Arcadia - For all it's flickering graphics, this is actually a very good arcade shooter, especially when played with a 360 gamepad or whatever you have (In Spectaculator change the joystick to Fuller). It's great to finally get to play it properly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Dont waste your time buying the hardware. Head over here and play any game you fancy in your browser...

http://www.zxspectrum.net/

Warning, some things are better left to nostalgia!!!