Options

Three beats EE to it with launch of UK's first VoLTE service

Comments

• Options
    Prof-xProf-x Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Thank you, hopefully the update will come through soonish

I've noticed they put a much larger antenna on the local building/mast

No 4g but keen to see if it's really 800mhz or an error in the coverage checker
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Questions...

My area has been "supercharged" or something, which I think means 800Mhz coverage and Supervoice, however I have an LG G3, not a G4, which isn't listed as supporting supervoice and is a non Three firmware device.

Will I still be able to access data over 800Mhz even if I can't get VoLTE?
    Are further devices (sim free) going to be supported for data?
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    No VoLTE compatibility, no 800MHz access. That's how Three want it at the mo.

For anyone who's actually using it... how is it? Reliable? Stable? Let's hear some reports...
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Is the non-Three G4 working with 800MHz yet?
  • Options
    Prof-xProf-x Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    I have an unlocked iPhone 6s+ direct from Apple. Will three support this or is 800mhz in trial with three supplied handsets?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No VoLTE compatibility, no 800MHz access. That's how Three want it at the mo.

For anyone who's actually using it... how is it? Reliable? Stable? Let's hear some reports...

That's crap, makes me want to give in and upgrade to the G4 and buy one from Three, but their prices are high.

The coverage map difference is huge, and the nerd in me wants to go out testing. Quite annoyed as the G3 supports 800Mhz data. I can see why they've done it, or at least think of reasons why they might have done it that way given the limited amount of 800 they have.

Does anyone know if this is a temporary restriction or long-term? I would be useful to know as it might impact my decision, might just go past a Three store and buy a G4 and sell my G3 on Ebay. Paying £15 a month on contract when others pay £45 affords me the flexibility to save up the gap money to put towards devices from time to time.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    That's crap, makes me want to give in and upgrade to the G4 and buy one from Three, but their prices are high.

The coverage map difference is huge, and the nerd in me wants to go out testing. Quite annoyed as the G3 supports 800Mhz data. I can see why they've done it, or at least think of reasons why they might have done it that way given the limited amount of 800 they have.

Does anyone know if this is a temporary restriction or long-term? I would be useful to know as it might impact my decision, might just go past a Three store and buy a G4 and sell my G3 on Ebay. Paying £15 a month on contract when others pay £45 affords me the flexibility to save up the gap money to put towards devices from time to time.

Been covered quite a bit here.
    800 is being run at full power.
    This means it goes way beyond current 3G coverage hence you have noticed this on the map.
    Problem is there will be plenty of places where you will have a signal but no voice (outside of 3G and indoors).
    The networks simply don;t do this. It would cause too many complaints and could potentially be a problem for emergency calls.

This is why the 1800 4G on EE and Three and indeed the 800 on VO2 are run at a low power to be within the voice coverage footprint.

All this was caused by 4G being launched before it had a usable voice capability.
    Brilliant!

Bottom line. If your phone can't do VoLTE you ain't ever using 800 on both Three and EE, period.

The plus side is 800 at full power. Some amazing coverage expansion is coming.
    Three and EE 4G at slightly better coverage than VO2 2G. Nice!
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Prof-x wrote: »
    I have an unlocked iPhone 6s+ direct from Apple. Will three support this or is 800mhz in trial with three supplied handsets?

Three can't restrict to just their iPhones as its Apple that handle the carrier update and will send it to all compatible iPhones on Three. When it goes live next month (if Three keep to their timetable) it should work with any compatible iPhone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    The plus side is 800 at full power. Some amazing coverage expansion is coming.
    Three and EE 4G at slightly better coverage than VO2 2G. Nice!

Well in theory but in my experience, one of the reasons O2 and Vodafone 2G is so good is because the masts are in really good locations.

Three masts are often in quite odd places from what I've seen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    Well in theory but in my experience, one of the reasons O2 and Vodafone 2G is so good is because the masts are in really good locations.

Being rural, down here they all pretty much share the same masts.
    Well the ones that will probably get 800 anyway, the bigger main ones.
    I doubt some of the smaller fill-in mast (of which Three and EE have plenty) will get it anyway.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member

You'd hope so, they had 8 years head start. (1985 for Voda & Cellnet analogue). one2one in 1993 and Orange in 1994 were therefore playing catch up. It showed how much Voda & Cellnet/O2 had stood on their laurals when Orange won awards for coverage at the end of the 1990s.
    Usually NIMBYism - given Three started in 2003, they were the new 5th network, so some places people said "we have enough masts in our village". This is one reason why Three and T-Mobile formed MBNL together in 2007/2008.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know if the hidden menu on the G4 on the Three firmware permits band selection or LTE only mode?

277634#*#

If you have the Three version could you check? once you're in the menu it's "Filed Text, Modem Settings and Network Mode"

I don't want to buy one if I can't do LTE only mode, better still if LTE band selection works like it does on my sim free G3.
  • Options
    Stereo SteveStereo Steve Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Being rural, down here they all pretty much share the same masts.
    Well the ones that will probably get 800 anyway, the bigger main ones.
    I doubt some of the smaller fill-in mast (of which Three and EE have plenty) will get it anyway.

800 does seen to reach many, many miles. I don't have a compatible phone so can only see the signal, not use it. But it goes a bloody long way and is resilient at long distance to minor movements etc. Going to be quite cool once 3 and EE have it on iPhone working properly. Few months yet but it's coming. Finally a voice service to rival and beat VO2 2G.
  • Options
    Denco1Denco1 Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This launch isn't exactly going well is it. The two devices which are currently supported are having battery drain and other issues, and the rest of devices supposed to launch this month have all been delayed.
    I like that EE and Vodafone decided to wait instead of this half arsed attempt for Three simply to claim they were first, the same way they were first to launch a 3G network but that doesn't make anything right.

HTC One M9 from Sept>Dec
    Samsung Galaxy S6/Edge Sept 24th>30th
    Lumia 640 Sept 24th>Unknown?
    iPhone October>End of year?

Not forgetting there still haven't been any reports of data only devices accessing 800MHz.

Edit: One positive is that Three have started using the 4G Supervoice logo in the Three store, making compatibility clearer.
  • Options
    Broken HopeBroken Hope Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    Three can't restrict to just their iPhones as its Apple that handle the carrier update and will send it to all compatible iPhones on Three. When it goes live next month (if Three keep to their timetable) it should work with any compatible iPhone.

I wouldn't be so sure, looks like Vodafone are restricting Wifi Calling.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28613185&postcount=1627
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know yet if the Three version of the LG G4's hidden menu permits LTE / 3G selection and band selection? I couldn't get the in-store version to show many items on the hidden menu.

I'd appreciate it if anyone that has one can report back.

By the way, if you're connecting to an 800Mhz mast from a long way away and the transmitter is on full power, then your device is likely to be needing to use full power too, which is likely to affect battery life I'd have thought. People on Three may be experiencing this, because they've previously always been connected to a much more local 3G / 4G cell
  • Options
    Denco1Denco1 Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    By the way, if you're connecting to an 800Mhz mast from a long way away and the transmitter is on full power, then your device is likely to be needing to use full power too, which is likely to affect battery life I'd have thought. People on Three may be experiencing this, because they've previously always been connected to a much more local 3G / 4G cell
    I very much doubt that last point, as 800MHz is currently set to a lower priority than 3G and 1800MHz 4G. But if Three were ever to increase the priority of 800MHz, then yes battery drain will probably increase even further amongst users.
    The issues seem to be stemming from registration on the IMS core, as long as the two arrows are displayed people are having battery draining issues.

Also only one person on this forum has admitted to owning a Three G4 and they haven't been active recently, so unfortunately it is looking unlikely we will find out about the hidden menu unless the XDA user publishes his guide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denco1 wrote: »
    I very much doubt that last point, as 800MHz is currently set to a lower priority than 3G and 1800MHz 4G. But if Three were ever to increase the priority of 800MHz, then yes battery drain will probably increase even further amongst users.
    The issues seem to be stemming from registration on the IMS core, as long as the two arrows are displayed people are having battery draining issues.

Also only one person on this forum has admitted to owning a Three G4 and they haven't been active recently, so unfortunately it is looking unlikely we will find out about the hidden menu unless the XDA user publishes his guide.

The XDA user said they were going to post, but nothing for days which is a shame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It seems like one of us is going to have to buy a G4 direct from Three or find one elsewhere. Who wants to volunteer?
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three's price for the G4 is mad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be so sure, looks like Vodafone are restricting Wifi Calling.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28613185&postcount=1627

I think the facts are twisted in some way here. They can (and EE do) restrict it to contract SIMs.
    What they can't do is stop you using ANY iPhone from anywhere with a contract SIM.
    So the post is incorrect in stating that the iPhone has to be from Vodafone but it is correct in that you need to be on a contract.

All other phones are different in that you need both Vodafone branded software AND a contract SIM.
    I think that made sense!
    :)
  • Options
    SkieSkie Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping 800mhz will help the signal on the train. 3's signal can be spotty on the west coast mainline (though it's far better than O2's which is pretty much nonexistant) but there are areas where you will get no service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The issue with trains is they act like Faraday cages and you're moving at a very fast speed too.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The issue with trains is they act like Faraday cages and you're moving at a very fast speed too.

More so on the Virgin Pendalinos on the WCML however, as the windows have a solar reflective film that hinders mobiles. Plus the windows are quite small anyway.

On older trains, usually with large windows, I've had some incredible results in the middle of nowhere and at speeds of around 100mph.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    More so on the Virgin Pendalinos on the WCML however, as the windows have a solar reflective film that hinders mobiles. Plus the windows are quite small anyway.

On older trains, usually with large windows, I've had some incredible results in the middle of nowhere and at speeds of around 100mph.

The difference in Cornwall is like night and day. Use a First Great Western HST on a quality network like 3 or EE and you'll get good performing 3G most of the time (I haven't tried EE since they turned on 4G in a big way). No 100mph line speeds down here though

Do it in a Voyager and you'll be struggling to get a 2G signal. It's like being on O2. The issue is compounded by the fact that XC charge for WiFi except in first class, yet FGW have it free across the whole train