Options

Racism and weightism in big bro

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I doubt that being fat is a choice. IMO I would say it was genetic. A fat person who slimms down can still never reach the average weight. If they do they still have flab hanging off them. Laura is fat because she is unable to help it. It does'nt matter how much a person eats, it will all depend on their metabolism rate. I eat as much as a fat person does, but never notice any weight gain. Why? Because its genetic.

Being FAT was not genetic a hundred years ago! There was no macdonalds, no free money from the state so you could just sit on your fat arse eating chip butties. There would be no flab hanging off of them if they didnt gorge themselves like a pig troughing..... Your metabolism is determined by your activity, it is not predetermined before you are even born, how many fat athletes do you know? Do they have FLAB?, how many FAT people were there in the german concentration camps? NONE! I am sick and tired of FAT people blaming everything except themselves, and that they "hardley eat a thing", I eat tons and tons and tons of food, i gorge myself with food at every opportunity, i also have a very active lifestyle. I do not eat junk food, i eat healthily and that is the difference, sadly these FAT people comfort eat, usually cream cakes, fried food, takeaways etc etc... FAT people are in complete DENIAL, and for the laugh, it aint a river in Egypt, tho it may as well be.... To lose the weight is simple, stop cramming so much food in the top hole, and let the bottom hole do its job!!! It is a straight forward equation, too much food equals BIG FAT HEFFA!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To say that people are fat because they either eat too much and/or are lazy is far too simplistic and also rather ignorant.

There are a miriad of reasons, other than overeating and lack of exercise for someone to be overweight.

One thing other than those mentioned previously that can cause obesity in women is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, (PCSO). Something which I suffer from, as do 3- 5% of women in this country.

All my life I fought my weight, trying this diet and that, I exercised regularly, ate healthily and always ate much less than my peers, yet I was always overweight. 10 years ago I was finally diagnosed with PCOS.

I've had all the 'fat' jokes and insults all my life, as I suspect quite a lot of overweight people on this forum have, we are such easy targets after all, and no matter how much they are used, they don't get any less hurtful. We just learn to handle it better as we grow older. I just wish people would give a little more thought before coming out with all this insulting rubbish on an open forum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Vincey2007 wrote: »
    Being FAT was not genetic a hundred years ago! There was no macdonalds, no free money from the state so you could just sit on your fat arse eating chip butties. There would be no flab hanging off of them if they didnt gorge themselves like a pig troughing..... Your metabolism is determined by your activity, it is not predetermined before you are even born, how many fat athletes do you know? Do they have FLAB?, how many FAT people were there in the german concentration camps? NONE! I am sick and tired of FAT people blaming everything except themselves, and that they "hardley eat a thing", I eat tons and tons and tons of food, i gorge myself with food at every opportunity, i also have a very active lifestyle. I do not eat junk food, i eat healthily and that is the difference, sadly these FAT people comfort eat, usually cream cakes, fried food, takeaways etc etc... FAT people are in complete DENIAL, and for the laugh, it aint a river in Egypt, tho it may as well be.... To lose the weight is simple, stop cramming so much food in the top hole, and let the bottom hole do its job!!! It is a straight forward equation, too much food equals BIG FAT HEFFA![/QUOTE]

:eek: :eek:

Who upset you this morning !!!
  • Options
    Ms Ann ThropeMs Ann Thrope Posts: 7,213
    Forum Member
    People seem willing to accept that undereating (anorexia) and disordered eating (bulimia), whilst they are self inflicted, are valid psychological problems from which the sufferer needs time and understanding to overcome, but for some reason, the same leeway is not given to the overweight, overeating is seen as just being greedy.

Where's the understanding? Where's the acceptance that being overweight can be just as much of a psychological illness as bulimia and anorexia? I was just reading a thread about Carole, which I think must have been pulled just as I was getting to the end, which was vicious in the most appalling way. What's the point in that? Being self righteous and abusive just because fat discrimination and abuse is not forced by law says more about the poster than it does about Carole. By your words shall you be known.

If anorexia is about mental issues relating to excessive control, overeating is about mental issues relating to lack of control. Both are mental health problems, but overweight can be a physical problem too. Dismissing the person as 'just lazy' is doing them a great disservice.

The most up to date research on dieting and weight loss seems to be showing that the vast majority of people who attempt it will fail, and that's not because they are greedy or stupid or ugly or any of those things, it's because their bodies demand that they put that weight back on when they have worked so hard to shed it. Getting it off and keeping it off is incredibly difficult, which leaves you stuck between being miserable about being fat, or being miserable about not being able to eat.

Maybe Carole has accepted herself as she is, maybe she needs some extra help in getting her head around the problems she has in getting her weight under control. Maybe she has health problems like the above poster.

What she doesn't need is hatred and contempt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    sadly these FAT people comfort eat, usually cream cakes, fried food, takeaways etc etc...

It seems like the level of stereotyping bigotry is the same when it comes to comparing fatism with racism...

- Chris
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter was a size 12 until she had her first child. One month after she gave birth she was a stone heavier than she had been at nine months pregnant and had received major surgery. What the hell has this got to do with eating too much. She was hardly eating at all! It now transpires that she has poly cistic ovaries and a serious hormonal imbalance. She is incapable of losing the weight. She could try hormone replacement but she will grow hair in area's she does not want it. She is miserable, depressed, in and out of hospital and is a size 22. She eats very little and is on the go continualy because she has a year old child and works.
    So, I say, unless you have a medical dictionary to hand it is quite simply stupid and ignorant to start spouting that anybody over a size 16-18 only has there self to blame, or, eating a lot means fat, eating a little means thin!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i cant remember seeing any obese or fat people on the old b/w films at the turn of the century... were there any obese figures that Lowry painted ..no they were all matchstick thin ...but then there wasnt all this luxury food and people had to be very busy just to scrape a living and to survive .being vastly overweight is a modern day lifestyle choice .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It seems like the level of stereotyping bigotry is the same when it comes to comparing fatism with racism...

- Chris

Whilst i am not prone to stereotyping, if BB were to supply just HEALTHY (fruit + veg)food to the HM's i think we would see a huge weight loss in there....

"I have a great diet. You are allowed to eat anything you want. But you must eat it with naked fat people."
    Ed Bluestone
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SLEETKIN wrote: »
    i cant remember seeing any obese or fat people on the old b/w films at the turn of the century... were there any obese figures that Lowry painted ..no they were all matchstick thin ...but then there wasnt all this luxury food and people had to be very busy just to scrape a living and to survive .being vastly overweight is a modern day lifestyle choice .

Are you Posh Spice?
  • Options
    Ms Ann ThropeMs Ann Thrope Posts: 7,213
    Forum Member

Here http://lafayette.150m.com/pcds/0008.jpg
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    Most people on this thread seem to be of the opinion that its more acceptable to use a derogatory term referring to a person's lifestyle choice (e.g. weight) than it is a person's genetic characteristics (e.g. race).

Therefore would you all agree that the phrases 'Muslim bitch', 'Jewish cow' and 'Catholic tosser' which all refer to religion (a lifestyle choice), are far more acceptable than 'tall bitch', 'short cow' and 'ginger tosser' which relate to genetic characteristics?

If not, why not?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leighanne wrote: »
    I've not been watching this series so much (mostly reading up on it) so I've not seen how Laura acts about food and stuff. Just know that it is possible to be bigger and healthy and to not be a greedy thing :)

However not in this case. She barely moves around and keeps whinging that she needs more food than the others because she is fat despite the fact that there is a limited amount of food in the house. This may explains why she is fat as she obviously hasn’t worked out that it is the other way around and she is fat because she eats too much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    .being vastly overweight is a modern day lifestyle choice .

You mean Millions of women choose to shell out money on weightwatches and fad diets. What exactly do you think they are choosing?

- Chris
  • Options
    magnersoriginalmagnersoriginal Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    Charley can't change her colour but Laura on the otherhand can stop eating all the pies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    Most people on this thread seem to be of the opinion that its more acceptable to use a derogatory term referring to a person's lifestyle choice (e.g. weight) than it is a person's genetic characteristics (e.g. race).

People say that, but really it's rubbish. people are bigoted towards people for lots of things that are not their choice (intelligence is a good example here).

The only reason some bigotries are more acceptable than other is social fashion.

- Chris
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You mean Millions of women choose to shell out money on weightwatches and fad diets. What exactly do you think they are choosing?

- Chris

The best FAD diet i ever heard of was the "Stop eating so much and exercise a bit", it really works!!! unfortunateley we live in a society which is largely LAZY and GREEDY.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The best FAD diet i ever heard of was the "Stop eating so much and exercise a bit", it really works!!! unfortunateley we live in a society which is largely LAZY and GREEDY.

If these women are so lazy why do you think they drag themselves off to weight watchers each week, spend lots of money on dieting and courses. All that activity and spending money is the opposite of your simple minded view of the world.

- Chris
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sick of comments about Carole and Laura, I myself am big and I am not lazy or ugly or anything, I am sick of bad comments, we are all human and we all have choices and it hurts to read comments putting down people purely because of their size.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

- Chris

They're trying to find an easy/quick way to lose weight rather than just dealing with it and getting to a gym. At least they are making some effort though, a lot of people are doing absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shabutie wrote: »
    They're trying to find an easy/quick way to lose weight rather than just dealing with it and getting to a gym. At least they are making some effort though, a lot of people are doing absolutely nothing.

But it's not loosing weight that is alleaged to be a choice, it's putting it on in the first place.

Reeasrch into the diet industry shows that it's exactly the most overwieght people who spend most money time and effort trying to loose weight. In other words the only choice most overwieght people can be shown to be making is to loose weight!

- Chris
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People say that, but really it's rubbish. people are bigoted towards people for lots of things that are not their choice (intelligence is a good example here).

The only reason some bigotries are more acceptable than other is social fashion.

- Chris

Bigotry is unkind in any form. But criticising a lifestyle choice isn’t necessarily bigotry but can be a matter of opinion.

Criticising someone for being lazy, or greedy, or their religious, political or philosophical adherence are judgements about their life choices and lifestyle. Whereas criticising someone because they were born into a group is bigotry.

It is bigotry when you insult people for being unintelligent but it can be criticism when you note they are deliberately ignorant and uninterested in learning as that is often caused by their own laziness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If these women are so lazy why do you think they drag themselves off to weight watchers each week, spend lots of money on dieting and courses. All that activity and spending money is the opposite of your simple minded view of the world.

- Chris

My simple minded view of the world is this.. WeightWatchers really does work if you try... Its a simple formula, less food = less GUT. Is there a Kebab shop near the weightwatchers meeting room???

For the first time in history, the world's total of overweight people equals the total of those who are underfed. Up to 1.2 billion people eat more than they need, and as many go hungry each day.
    - The Guardian, March 2000
  • Options
    Forum Member
    xyx wrote: »
    Bigotry is unkind in any form. But criticising a lifestyle choice isn’t necessarily bigotry but can be a matter of opinion.

But the thing is they don't criticize fat people for being greedy or lazy, they assume they are greedy and lazy because they have a steryotypes of fat people. It’s like saying “I don’t mind N*ggers, it’s just most of them don’t work hard enough”

- Chris
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My simple minded view of the world is this.. WeightWatchers really does work if you try

The thing is though it doesn't work in the long term. For example the majority of Weight watchers slimmer’s of the year have put back on most of the weight they lost within a few years.

- Chris
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The thing is though it doesn't work in the long term. For example the majority of Weight watchers slimmer’s of the year have put back on most of the weight they lost within a few years.

- Chris

YEP sorry, i meant a continued effort, you cant go back to the cream cakes and chip butties after the weight has gone... sorry my mistake.