Virgin V+ Reactivation

Hi all,

just come off the phone to Virgin Media regarding reativating my V+ box function (i called a few months back to de activate the recording function as i was not using it and to save £5 month).

I've been told to re enable the recording functions of the box its a £99 re activation fee?? Is this correct? I'm currently on the Large TV Pack.

Or are they simply taking the P!SS!:eek:

Comments

• rock8633rock8633 Posts: 1,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never knew that u could disable record on the v+ but i woulnt do it anyways ,i would miss it too much and for saving £5 a month wouldnt be worth it..Cant see it being £99 re activation fee ring back and try again..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    The first person i spoke to, an indian sounding chap said, yes, no problem but theres an £99 activation fee to be paid, i then got put through to another person, a Scottish sounding lady, saying indeed yes, there was a £99 activation fee to re enable the V+ fuctionality, i made a few noises and said i would get back to her on this.

If this is the case and they are indeed charging a re-activation fee of £99 then they can pucker up and kiss my ....:eek:

Shame, because i been with cable for donkeys years.:cry:
  • ek-ukek-uk Posts: 2,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first person i spoke to, an indian sounding chap said, yes, no problem but theres an £99 activation fee to be paid, i then got put through to another person, a Scottish sounding lady, saying indeed yes, there was a £99 activation fee to re enable the V+ fuctionality, i made a few noises and said i would get back to her on this.

If this is the case and they are indeed charging a re-activation fee of £99 then they can pucker up and kiss my ....:eek:

Shame, because i been with cable for donkeys years.:cry:

I don't know how they can justify that much. You could try calling retentions.
    Forum Member
    ek-uk wrote: »
    I don't know how they can justify that much. You could try calling retentions.

I certainly have never heard of this fee before.:confused:

I was on XLTV and way back in April/May days are getting longer and not watching that much TV i decided to downgrade to the Large TV pack and disable the V+ function therefore saving a few quid.
    I thought when the nights get longer all i would have to do is call Virgin Media reactivate the V+ box and pay the additional £5 montly charge for the V+ fuction on top of my bill?

Talk about being inflexible!:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly have never heard of this fee before.:confused:

I was on XLTV and way back in April/May days are getting longer and not watching that much TV i decided to downgrade to the Large TV pack and disable the V+ function therefore saving a few quid.
    I thought when the nights get longer all i would have to do is call Virgin Media reactivate the V+ box and pay the additional £5 montly charge for the V+ fuction on top of my bill?

Talk about being inflexible!:(

Like I say I don't know how they justify that much. Presumably though you could take up xl tv and that would include the record function with no extra set up charge? That would be more per month though. Would it lock you into a 12 mth contract? Maybe retentions might get you a reduced price.
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like I say I don't know how they justify that much. Presumably though you could take up xl tv and that would include the record function with no extra set up charge? That would be more per month though. Would it lock you into a 12 mth contract? Maybe retentions might get you a reduced price.

Or you could take your custom else where which is what i would do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That of course is another choice but phoning retentions first might be a cheaper option.
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That of course is another choice but phoning retentions first might be a cheaper option.

Should not have to call retensions to get a better deal in the first place if you ask me, £99 to send a signal to a box is a big con and if any other person or company tried to con you would you really want to conduct business with them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should not have to call retensions to get a better deal in the first place if you ask me, £99 to send a signal to a box is a big con and if any other person or company tried to con you would you really want to conduct business with them?

Well I might take the same view if it was me they were trying to charge. It's not for me to tell someone to take an option that could cost more though. The op is trying to save money and has not mentioned moving services. If I were suggesting the cheapest option it would be to phone retentions.
  • boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £99!!!!!!! Now that IS taking the pizz.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    are they trying to sell you another box?
    i thought the box was £49 and £99 for a second box
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contact the Virgin Media Twitter team they'll help you out
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would do that too.
  • HANHAM97HANHAM97 Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    So would I.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    We cancelled V+ (xltv) a few months back when we got Sky multiroom, even though we had enough hard drive space to record our programmes we still didn't have enough tuners, so we thought about reactivating the V+, this would give us the recording features and the fta/ftv HD channels, didn't mind paying the extra fiver, but we were told it would be £49 to get V+ back, that's £50 cheaper than what the OP has been told, even at that price I told them to stick it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading in the Sky forum it seems you can't change back to just having the record function with them although of course it's not a direct comparison because there packages are different. You can downgrade to it for £10 a month. I agree that £99 is outrageous but I still think that my advice of phoning retentions is the best one unless the op wants to leave anyway. Telling them to stuff it and leaving probably isn't the cheapest option.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

just come off the phone to Virgin Media regarding reativating my V+ box function (i called a few months back to de activate the recording function as i was not using it and to save £5 month).

I've been told to re enable the recording functions of the box its a £99 re activation fee?? Is this correct? I'm currently on the Large TV Pack.

Or are they simply taking the P!SS!:eek:

Let us know how you got on. I can understand this charge if you were moving from a standard box to a V+ box, but not for sending a signal to re-enable an existing box that you presumably have already paid an install fee for.

If this is the case, presumably it is to discourage people from taking off the recording function, but, if so, it is backfiring. Who on earth would pay £99!
    Forum Member
    An update on the situation regarding reactivating my SA V+ box.

I contacted the Virgin Media Twitter team as kindly requested by an above forum member, and explained that i already have a V+ box but had the recording function de activated earlier on in the year.
    They looked into the matter and confirmed, and i quote:

''The reason you've been advised of the charges is down to the system itself in all fairness, basically we raise an order for the changes and then the magic happens. However with this particular issue the order wont complete unless a charge for the box is added. A bit daft in your circumstance I know and something I will have looked at for future''.

Apparantly they charge a set up charge and install fee to your bill and then, credit the setup charge and install fee, so effectively you don't pay anything extra bar the £5 V+ fee, (all sounds silly to me!).

I must add, contacting the Twitter team was far easier than phoning up!

Anyway all sorted now.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An update on the situation regarding reactivating my SA V+ box.

I contacted the Virgin Media Twitter team as kindly requested by an above forum member, and explained that i already have a V+ box but had the recording function de activated earlier on in the year.
    They looked into the matter and confirmed, and i quote:

''The reason you've been advised of the charges is down to the system itself in all fairness, basically we raise an order for the changes and then the magic happens. However with this particular issue the order wont complete unless a charge for the box is added. A bit daft in your circumstance I know and something I will have looked at for future''.

Apparantly they charge a set up charge and install fee to your bill and then, credit the setup charge and install fee, so effectively you don't pay anything extra bar the £5 V+ fee, (all sounds silly to me!).

I must add, contacting the Twitter team was far easier than phoning up!

Anyway all sorted now.;)

Well done Welwynrose for the suggestion then. A lot easier than throwing a wobbly and telling them you were leaving or my suggestion to contact retentions. Anyway glad you got it sorted.
  • JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    If you're going to take TVXL you should pay one off fee £50
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JethroUK wrote: »
    If you're going to take TVXL you should pay one off fee £50

But should the OP have to pay this? They were only paying £5 on TV L for V+, instead of £15 per month. Does this mean that they have already paid a one off fee?

I have only ever had TV XL and, for a one off cost of £75, it was a free sub. Did those on lower packages have to pay a fee to get the £10 per month reduction?
  • p6410880p6410880 Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    i paid £150 for box at start on XL still said need to pay £99 to activate recird function and xl subs so I order sky, cheaper to have sky installed then pay that than subscription to XL again and pay £99, also get £40 m+s vouchers in then bargain. disconnect v+ box so they just lost my tv custom. Also sick of crap offers to current customers also. so bye bye virgin tv hello sky+HD
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p6410880 wrote: »
    i paid £150 for box at start on XL still said need to pay £99 to activate recird function and xl subs so I order sky, cheaper to have sky installed then pay that than subscription to XL again and pay £99, also get £40 m+s vouchers in then bargain. disconnect v+ box so they just lost my tv custom. Also sick of crap offers to current customers also. so bye bye virgin tv hello sky+HD

I'm sure you will be happy with sky but please note that if you had read the thread the op got it sorted by contacting the twitter team and sky wont let you reinstate just the record function. Also all companies including Sky do better offers for new customers. It's a fact of life. They have to do it to compete with other companies offers.
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I'm sure you will be happy with sky but please note that if you had read the thread the op got it sorted by contacting the twitter team and sky wont let you reinstate just the record function. Also all companies including Sky do better offers for new customers. It's a fact of life. They have to do it to compete with other companies offers.

So can't you just have the Sky+ option without subscribing to the minimum 1 pack?, I though in another thread today you said Sky charge £10 a month for recording facilities if you don't take at least the minimum £20 a month subscription unless I misunderstood you which is more than possible!

Do you mean you can cancel all your Sky packs but keep the recording option but cannot just activate Sky+ on an closed account or a deactivated box?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    So can't you just have the Sky+ option without subscribing to the minimum 1 pack?, I though in another thread today you said Sky charge £10 a month for recording facilities if you don't take at least the minimum £20 a month subscription unless I misunderstood you which is more than possible!

Do you mean you can cancel all your Sky packs but keep the recording option but cannot just activate Sky+ on an closed account or a deactivated box?

I think you can downgrade to being able to record without being subscribed to a package for £10 per month but you can't go back up. I read it on a thread in the sky section. I will see if I can find the thread because there must be some way of reinstating your services.

Edit: I have found it here but I think I misread it. Sorry. It just means you cant go from no sub whatsoever to record only. So perhaps you can easily change back from record only with Sky which is another reason why VM should sort this out.