Help need to complete an APEL claim form for post grad mental health nursing

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
Forum Member
I have applied for the post grad diploma in nursing (mental health)
I have an interivew in a few weeks but for I attend this I have to fill out an APEL claim for to show evidence that I have the experience to study at post grad level.
I already have a degree in Criminology and Sociology and have spent the past two years working in care both nursing and residential, I am now the deputy manager of a care home so with most of the form I have found it quite easy to provide evidence. However, there are a few questions I am stuck on and could do with any help that anyone can offer. I know most of them can relate to my degree but I have just had a brain freeze and keep staring at the questions and not knowing what to put.
I need to show that:

I am able to demonstate understanding of biological nad physiological sciences

I am able to demonstate understanding of social and behavioural science

I am able to demonstrate undersing of ethics, law and understanding

I have participated in quality assurance and risk management strategies

Apologises for any spelling errors and if i have waffled on but it's driving me mad:cry:

Thanks in advance

Comments

• gemchickengemchicken Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First of all CONGRATULATIONS for having the courage to apply for something like this, you sound a fab person and I'm sure you'll get a place!

Can I ask, when it says 'able to demonstrate' do you need to have certificates or can you just give examples of how you've dealt with situations in the past? I'm sure if it's examples you'll have nothing to worry about - you have a lot of valuable experiences, you're a deputy manager of a care home!

Forgive me as I've never had to complete an APEL form, but does it gain you credit for a PG Diploma in Nursing? Didn't know that was possible but very cool if it is! Are you doing this through the OU? I thought APEL was just applicable through the OU but then you'd need to complete placements for the PG Diploma? I'm a bit confused (doesn't take much!)

As for ideas as of what to include, my thought which might be wrong, but might help a bit?

I am able to demonstate understanding of biological nad physiological sciences

Do you have Biology A Levels? Or can you incorporate modules from your first degree? Have you done further study since?

I am able to demonstate understanding of social and behavioural science

You've studied Sociology, that's a start. Have you done any psychology modules in your first degree? Have you completed courses in this area?

I am able to demonstrate undersing of ethics, law and understanding

Mental Health Act, POVA etc

I have participated in quality assurance and risk management strategies

Must have done this in your current job?

Don't stress, chill, you sound like a fantastic candidate, be confident :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your reply..I didnt study biology at a-level so im still struggeling on that question
    Basically, I'll be studying for a post graduate dip in Mental health nursing, an APEL claim form if successful allows you to study for two years rather than 3 if you can provide evidence to support the claim that you have enough experience to fast track the course from another degreee or through work..
    I have an interview for kings university in just over a week so hopefully I will be studying there