Options

Old Argos Catalogue

Comments

• Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ferguson TX tv wow my mum had that I think my sister has it still and i believe it is going strong... beat that new fancy flat screen tvs
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Strange looking at the pricing on some items seems to be pretty much the same as you would expect to pay now (for a modern equivalent). Would have expected inflation to have been more prominent, but then I guess nobody had any money back then either...
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A-Team duvet cover :eek: :D

Thanks for sharing OP :)
  • Options
    marknotgeorgemarknotgeorge Posts: 2,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    classixuk wrote: »
    Mission accepted. :)

This http://www.flickr.com/photos/38301877@N05/3593128800/in/set-72157619206330728/ item 15. "Gives a natural, even tan in about one week" price £119. Perhaps it should read "gives a natural even melanoma in about 20 years".

Today's Argos equivalent: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4480011/Trail/searchtext%3ESPRAY+TAN.htm price £49.95

:D

Nice try, but not quite what I meant :). I was thinking in terms of catalogue numbers - take a catalogue number of a 1985 item (440/3809 for your artfully-posed-lady-roaster), and see what the catalogue number would buy you today. But wait till the Argos site's back up.

EDIT: I tried it. Guess they don't reuse numbers :cry:
  • Options
    GrizzyDeeGrizzyDee Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beautiful!
    I had the Postman Pat duvet set and my older brother had the BMX rally one :D
    Can't believe how expensive they were!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it the whole catalogue? if so good job OP!

can't wait to have a look at it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Strange looking at the pricing on some items seems to be pretty much the same as you would expect to pay now (for a modern equivalent). Would have expected inflation to have been more prominent, but then I guess nobody had any money back then either...

Manufacture is much cheaper these days, which tends to negate inflation to some extent. Take calculators, for example. The first electronic pocket calculators came out in 1971, and cost about £165, which was about a month's wages based on 1971's average salary. It has less functionality than a Tesco value calculator, which cost about 8 minute's wages at minimum wage...
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manufacture is much cheaper these days, which tends to negate inflation to some extent. Take calculators, for example. The first electronic pocket calculators came out in 1971, and cost about £165, which was about a month's wages based on 1971's average salary. It has less functionality than a Tesco value calculator, which cost about 8 minute's wages at minimum wage...

I wonder if anything was made in China back then?
    I know most electronic stuff was from Japan back in them days?

And our TVs were made in the UK.
  • Options
    CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    The Big Yellow teapot:)

Snugglebumms:D http://www.flickr.com/photos/38301877@N05/3593498912/in/set-72157619206330728/ How did I ever forget?

I had one of those, I used to love putting the people down the spout like it was a slide. I don't know what happened to mine, think it might have gotten chucked away during a clear out :(. Theres a house a few doors down and they actually have one in their upstairs window and everytime I see it, it brings back memories of mine (not that I look up at my neighbours upstairs windows :D just when I catch a glimpse)
  • Options
    Melanie858Melanie858 Posts: 3,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The toy pages are really interesting and bring back some memories!! I was only 1 year old in 1985 so that's about all I remember lol.
  • Options
    Melanie858Melanie858 Posts: 3,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Number 6 here http://www.flickr.com/photos/38301877@N05/3592694709/in/set-72157619206330728/ is totally the chair I had as a baby.. I recognise it from my baby photos!!!
  • Options
    Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing that though, very little has changed.
  • Options
    ClairebeeClairebee Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arghhhhhhhhh OMG this bought a tear to my eye

I had Barbie motor home, Care Bears duvet set and a Care Bear, Mr Frosty, I always wanted Fashion wheel but never got it :(

Oh oh and I remember my brother having castle greyskull, i remember Ram Man, oh the memories :):D:)

Thanks to the OP for that, it really cheered me up :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I remember correctly, wasn't Argos left from the remnants of the Green Shield Trading Stamps company? I remember my mother collecting these in books. When she moved home five years ago, we found loads of them in the attic, I wonder what they would have bought all those years ago.
  • Options
    ClairebeeClairebee Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I think we got our first microwave around 82-3-ish. Huge, heavy metal thing it was. My parents used it until it finally packed in a few years ago so it lasted over 20 years. They don't make things to last like that any more.

No they don't I had a Panasonic TV for my 16th birthday in 1989 ( that was the best pressie I ever got! :D )

And it finally packed in about 16 years later, same with my Hitatchi stereo.

Nowadays things will last 4-5 years at a push. :(
  • Options
    Cunny FuntCunny Funt Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) Thanks for sharing this link... I loved looking at the toys, bought back loads of memories.
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    NikkiClo wrote: »
    Is it the whole catalogue? if so good job OP!

can't wait to have a look at it

Ah wasn't me- you can thank Manchester Libraries they put the link on facebook today.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clarribo wrote: »
    Lol Major Morgan think I got that for Christmas that year.
    OMG I remember Major Morgan lol! Really wanted one of them but I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the Frogger game @No.1 of the same link. Mannnn :cool: my brother got that and I can clearly recall the both of us having 'contests' on who could get the furthest on it!

I saw the title of the thread and thought 'So?', but having looked through a couple of the pages, it has been quite something to see a current successful retailer who sells some exclusive products selling items back them that was as exclusive then but would be judged to be rubbish now or are just nowhere to be seen now (if you get my drift!).
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    i was born in the 90's
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if anything was made in China back then?
    I know most electronic stuff was from Japan back in them days?

And our TVs were made in the UK.

The first pocket calculators came from Japan, the US, Canada and the UK. Cheaper ones came from Hong Kong a few years later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clarribo wrote: »
    Lol Major Morgan think I got that for Christmas that year.

This is really sad but as kids me and my brother used to get really excited when the new catalogue came out- we used to play a game where we'd each pick a number and see who'd get the best toys. :o

Was that a Nintendo DS I saw there?????
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving this link :D

I've book marked it for the kids, there will be a prize for the first one to identify a top loading video recorder.

How drab it all is, I don't remember the 80s being that dark.

Just got to the tasteful blinds, really excited about getting to the toy pages. :D
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    Was that a Nintendo DS I saw there?????
    It does look like one, doesn't it?

I was a year old in 1985 and we didn't have one in my town.
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clairebee wrote: »
    Arghhhhhhhhh OMG this bought a tear to my eye

I had Barbie motor home, Care Bears duvet set and a Care Bear, Mr Frosty, I always wanted Fashion wheel but never got it :(

Oh oh and I remember my brother having castle greyskull, i remember Ram Man, oh the memories :):D:)

Thanks to the OP for that, it really cheered me up :D:D:D

I had a Fashion Wheel :) I'd like to say it was rubbish but it wasn't although it didn't lead to me becoming a famous fashion designer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    Loving this link :D

I've book marked it for the kids, there will be a prize for the first one to identify a top loading video recorder.

How drab it all is, I don't remember the 80s being that dark.

Just got to the tasteful blinds, really excited about getting to the toy pages. :D

Is that for them to choose their Christmas presents? :D:D:D