the end of the daily show on more4 ?

Comments

• silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    I would love to see BBC4 pick this up, but wouldn't the blatant shilling of the book/cd in the final segment potentially cause some editing problems for the BBC??

Why? The BBC allow the same thing on their chat shows :confused::p
  • CraigCraig Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would also really like to see The David Letterman Show back on TV but no channels will show it.

I think the way things are going everything will be downloaded in the next few years as no one will want to watch TV unless the show is shown days after the US.

There is some hope, if and when the Electric Sofa channels launch early next year.

On their site there's a link called "Sofa Stars" with their schedule and there's a listing that says:

23:00 Late Night American Chat Shows
    Shown the day after its American broadcast.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reminded of Obi-Wan in "The Empire Strikes Back"

OB:"That channel was our last hope"

Yoda: "No, there is another"
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    silentNate wrote: »
    Why? The BBC allow the same thing on their chat shows :confused::p

Yeah, without the extreme close ups :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    it should work on there is sky are smart enough to pick it up
    they could pick it up with colbert and even at 11pm that double header would get viewers plus both shows are available in HD.
    Given that News Corp is on the verge of gaining control of Sky, would you think they'd be happy to broadcast it on one of their flagship channels? It's like the God channel having a chat show hosted by Richard Dawkins. ;)
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    Yeah, without the extreme close ups :D

More4 actually edit out a full screen of the product being discussed (Ofcom reasons I assume). Though as you say, there are still some close-ups. They've also (inconsistently) edited out plugs for Stewart's own book.

I can't see the programme on BBC, if it turns up anywhere it'll be Comedy Central or somewhere more obscure. Truth is, if More4 couldn't justify it, despite sponsorship and a fixed place in their schedule for years, then I doubt it'd survive anywhere in the UK. :(
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Truth is, if More4 couldn't justify it, despite sponsorship and a fixed place in their schedule for years, then I doubt it'd survive anywhere in the UK. :(

As much as I hate to say it, i think you're probably right. And it's not like it was buried away in the early hours - to their credit it has remained at 8:30pm during the entire run.

I'm hopeful for Comedy Central UK picking it up, since they produce and air it in the states, so I doubt it would be any real degree of trouble to air it over here.
  • DxfatassDxfatass Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad news, I'd often thought More4 supported the show well given the ratings but this move was unexpected to me.

As far as their website - there are ways round the global restrictions. The problem I find is getting behind on episodes - like with me watching the Colbert Report, I've not seen anything since late October, finding the time to watch streams is difficult particularly at times of high demand. It's easier to keep up when it's sat on your Sky+ box taking-up spsce.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Candidate for Sky Atlantic?
    agreed, it would be a strong statement about Sky Atlatnic if it was to air it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think BBC4 would be pretty ideal, the low ratings wouldn't really matter but I guess it depends how much it would cost them.
  • Ant LAnt L Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really not impressed. Poor show, More4. Poor show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    Craig wrote: »
    There is some hope, if and when the Electric Sofa channels launch early next year.

On their site there's a link called "Sofa Stars" with their schedule and there's a listing that says:

23:00 Late Night American Chat Shows
    Shown the day after its American broadcast.

That will probably be Letterman and Fallon since they're also getting Entertainment Tonight from CBS.

We should petition Comedy Central UK to show it or something
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MalUK wrote: »
    Given that News Corp is on the verge of gaining control of Sky, would you think they'd be happy to broadcast it on one of their flagship channels? It's like the God channel having a chat show hosted by Richard Dawkins. ;)

lol fox entertainment and news are fairly different beasts :p
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    MalUK wrote: »

FOX has never let their ego get in the way of making a profit e.g. they let the Simpsons take the piss out of FOX as long as they keep producing ratings and selling DVDs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    FOX has never let their ego get in the way of making a profit e.g. they let the Simpsons take the piss out of FOX as long as they keep producing ratings and selling DVDs.

That's true but sadly, it sounds like ratings played a part in More4's idiotic decision here, so I doubt Murdoch's lot would pick it up as they wouldn't be likely to gain much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to add one more point in the mix - The Daily Show is available on iTunes in the UK. Your pick of an extortionate £1.89 for one episode or a fairly reasonable £9.99 for a 'season pass' which buys you the last one and next 15 - ie 62p/episode. The versions also have the extra parts of interviews (the references to which were, of course, cut by More4) which are usually on the Comedy Central website.

Combined with fairly frequent ways to buy iTunes Gift Cards for less than face value (£25 card costs £20 in Clintons this weekend, for example), it's not too bad a deal.

Somewhat intriguingly the page on iTunes states 'Watch the Daily Show with Jon Stewart on Comedy Central' - presumably that's an error, but other US shows do say 'Watch xxx on ITV2' or the like - referencing the UK broadcaster, not the US. EDITed to add - Colbert on iTunes has the same line about watching on Comedy Central - almost certainly an error then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see where you're coming from russell, but do you really expect people to essentially subscribe to a single program ?

Which, if they buy a £9.99 season pass, is what they'll be doing as the Daily Show on a typical month would be 20 episodes.

At the rate of 62p an episode, it would work out at a 'subscription' rate of £12.40 per month - for a single show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see where you're coming from russell, but do you really expect people to essentially subscribe to a single program ?

Which, if they buy a £9.99 season pass, is what they'll be doing as the Daily Show on a typical month would be 20 episodes.

At the rate of 62p an episode, it would work out at a 'subscription' rate of £12.40 per month - for a single show.

I don't expect many will, no. Just felt it was worth pointing out that there is still a legal way of watching it in the UK - I had no idea it was on iTunes UK until today. And although, as you rightly say, it is expensive for one show it's a lot cheaper than other ones on iTunes (30 Rock is £37 for 22 episodes in SD or £49 in HD :eek: ).

I guess there's a question of what is a fair price, but that's probably for another thread :)
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Potholderz wrote: »
    That's true but sadly, it sounds like ratings played a part in More4's idiotic decision here, so I doubt Murdoch's lot would pick it up as they wouldn't be likely to gain much.

If "ratings played a part" in taking the show off air in what way is it "an idiotic decision"? Commercial telly is ratings driven and if a 43rd repeat of Grand Designs gets a better share than The Daily Show then it's a no brainer for Channel 4.

No company will pay out money for a show that isn't making them money. If it turned a profit then it would have stayed on air.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If "ratings played a part" in taking the show off air in what way is it "an idiotic decision"? Commercial telly is ratings driven and if a 43rd repeat of Grand Designs gets a better share than The Daily Show then it's a no brainer for Channel 4.

No company will pay out money for a show that isn't making them money. If it turned a profit then it would have stayed on air.

Not just about that though is it? As I said before TDS has generated shitloads of free publicity for More4 as it’s regularly talked about in print, online and it’s interviews often end up on newscasts, cultural programmes and several times on Newsnight! Can’t say that about Grand Designs can you? If the decision to drop it is purely financial then it’s a penny-pinching short-sighted one that will do them more harm than good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess there's a question of what is a fair price, but that's probably for another thread :)

You're probably right sir :)

£49 quid for HD 30 Rock though ?. Bloody hell!

Anyway, I guess with Friends moving to Comedy Central next year, that in itself could generate extra publicity for the channel and potentially make it a better bet for TDS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

which is the reason why tv goes down hill as it should be a balance between crap and good tv and thats why any bbc knocker is misguided.

for me tv channels shouldnt be making a profit, they should aim to supply quality and break even.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member

The same sort of decision is made by the channel owners; if people aren't prepared to purchase it, perhaps it isn't as good as people here think. I tend to rank US chat shows like soaps, they are nice to have for free, but not really worth purchasing - there is too much padding by the audience etc.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

CH4 group is not commercial TV, it just looks like it is.

It gets a lot of tax-payers money to put out in primetime certain programming that commercial channels cannot do for ratings reasons.

And The Daily Show isn't even on CH4 itself. MORE4 was clearly created to allow CH4 to go trash and to carry the sort of programming that CH4 used to carry.

But not any more of course. It's become wall-to-wall lifestyle programming.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Potholderz wrote: »

No sure, it was a general point. If more4 couldn't pull an audience I can't see anyone else picking it up.

If there are no takers then I would hope CC would show it over here - but I hoped that when FX dropped colbert and it never happened.