8 out of 10 cats thursday 23rd

juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
Forum Member
Jeeez this is DIRE !!!!

Its like sitting in apub listening to a bunch of drunk lads trying to be funny after a loooong day on the booze.

When is the christmas TV gonna get some decent comedy FFS.

Comedians just arnt funny anymore. No wit, intelligence insightful observational humour.

There are exceptions i know but like wise sages they stay well away from TV.

:yawn:

Comments

• mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Sean and Jack are pretty funny but it doesnt seem as good this year. Just rambling. Jason doesnt seem very relaxed somehow!! He's lost it too. Suprised he's on telly so soon after the skype thing
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Sean and Jack are pretty funny but it doesnt seem as good this year. Just rambling. Jason doesnt seem very relaxed somehow!! He's lost it too. Suprised he's on telly so soon after the skype thing

They pulled some punches on obvious jokes at his expense, I wonder if they cut some out to placate him. Plenty of ribbing could have been had about the One Show and when Lorraine talked about "doing it on the internet".
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    They pulled some punches on obvious jokes at his expense, I wonder if they cut some out to placate him. Plenty of ribbing could have been had about the One Show and when Lorraine talked about "doing it on the internet".

I watched the first bit - I heard the internet discussion but were any obvious references to it made?
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »

I saw some of this last night. Might watch the rest as there's nothing else on TV today apart from Peep Show. I gave up during the last series though as Sean was still good, but everyone else was generally dire.
  • tonyslim99tonyslim99 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Sean Lock and Jimmy Carr are the only reasons to watch the show.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching this RIGHT NOW !
    I'm enjoying it !
    "I don't want to spoil it, kids, but Father Christmas is just a made-up thing. And so is Jesus !" :D
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just as with every other 30minute comedy panel show that has been extend to 45/50 minutes it cannot sustain it.

The show itself cannot deal with 45minutes, both in quantity of material and in format. They peak around the mid-point and by the end it's a blessed relief to see it over.

And also the viewer is supposed to accept that this is a main course TV Dinner, when in fact all these shows only work when they were appetisers before the main course.

I watched this episode and stayed to the end but that's it for me with "...Cats" in the future. And also "Celebrity Juice", dead and buried by those moronic TV executives.
    Forum Member
    Cats is usually hilarious. I think the Jason thing put a damper on things. Maybe everyone felt a bit uncomfortable. I thought Jack was going to mention it at one point. Poor jason, all his fault but he didnt seem himself on the programme. same with the comedy annual on ITV the other day. Seemed to be rushing his delivery.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't see why they would pull any punches. Manford joked about it himself on the ITV Comedy Annual 2010 the other night and that was pretty much early evening comedy, so Cats could have gotten away with a lot more.

As for the stretching the show out, Carr made a joke about it himself in the show. Pretty much shows how bad it is getting when they give it a dig themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Just as with every other 30minute comedy panel show that has been extend to 45/50 minutes it cannot sustain it.

The show itself cannot deal with 45minutes, both in quantity of material and in format. They peak around the mid-point and by the end it's a blessed relief to see it over.

And also the viewer is supposed to accept that this is a main course TV Dinner, when in fact all these shows only work when they were appetisers before the main course.

Definitely not.

8 out of 10 Cats always felt like one of the most harshly edited panel shows. Practically rapidfire, with all the advertising breaks. A Channel 4 45-minuter is about equivalent to a BBC half hour. Not much longer than NMTB.

Which makes it more of a damning indictment that it didn't hold your attention, if anything. But overwrought? Not especially. Giving it the extra time makes it feel less like an onslaught and more like a comedy show. Humour's not a savage thing, it's social - and a show like 8/10 is perhaps one of the best beneficiaries of a little breathing room.

Not like I have to rush off anywhere, and definitely not like I'd be watching something better if it wasn't on - more than happy to watch Jimmy, Sean and Jason for an extra fifteen minutes.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    It was okay. Yeah, I was surprised they didn't bring up Jason's recent problems as you would have thought they would have. Josie Long was much better on this than her appearance on "This Week" discussing tuition fees! Stick to comedy, Josie.
    Forum Member
    stripedcat wrote: »
    It was okay. Yeah, I was surprised they didn't bring up Jason's recent problems as you would have thought they would have. Josie Long was much better on this than her appearance on "This Week" discussing tuition fees! Stick to comedy, Josie.
    I thought she was pretty dire on both.

Does anyone know when the Xmas Special was recorded?
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rwebster wrote: »
    Definitely not.

8 out of 10 Cats always felt like one of the most harshly edited panel shows. Practically rapidfire, with all the advertising breaks. A Channel 4 45-minuter is about equivalent to a BBC half hour. Not much longer than NMTB.

Which makes it more of a damning indictment that it didn't hold your attention, if anything. But overwrought? Not especially. Giving it the extra time makes it feel less like an onslaught and more like a comedy show. Humour's not a savage thing, it's social - and a show like 8/10 is perhaps one of the best beneficiaries of a little breathing room.

Not like I have to rush off anywhere, and definitely not like I'd be watching something better if it wasn't on - more than happy to watch Jimmy, Sean and Jason for an extra fifteen minutes.

Opinions cannot be "wrong". By definition.

By all means state your opinion but don't tell me I'm wrong. It's wery wude. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this episode and stayed to the end but that's it for me with "...Cats" in the future. And also "Celebrity Juice", dead and buried by those moronic TV executives.

I've never liked Celebrity Juice. I find anything from Leigh Francis an absolute pile of reindeer turd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stripedcat wrote: »

Josie Long does comedy? When?!
  • CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Opinions cannot be "wrong". By definition.

By all means state your opinion but don't tell me I'm wrong. It's wery wude. :)

Ok you are a beautiful unique snow flake and you never really lost the 100m sprint because you were only doing it for fun.

And opinions can be wrong when they directly contradict empirical evidence.
  • samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This episode was taped in late September at the same time as the last series. So this was before the Manford scandal erupted They taped 6 shows in 3 weeks. One current and one "Best of" I think it's due to Manford and Carr's busy schedules that they pretape so many episodes (Though Christmas specials are often pretaped. the QI and Shooting Stars Christmas episodes were pretaped earlier this year as well.

I know everyone has their own tastes and has a right to say what they want on this forum, but boy are you guys harsh on every comedian!!
  • warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP I thought it was me and that I'd lost my SOS. Sean was good but the rest left me cold.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I watched the first bit - I heard the internet discussion but were any obvious references to it made?

i felt that the spending time with family bit might of been aimed at him slightly.
    I'm watching this RIGHT NOW !
    I'm enjoying it !
    "I don't want to spoil it, kids, but Father Christmas is just a made-up thing. And so is Jesus !" :D

indeed a great line

tbh it got to the end and i could quite happily of had more
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Josie Long does comedy? When?!

a tad harsh
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Jason but feel uncomfortable watching him now just waiting for somebody to have a dig
    Forum Member
    samusek2 wrote: »
    This episode was taped in late September at the same time as the last series. So this was before the Manford scandal erupted They taped 6 shows in 3 weeks. One current and one "Best of" I think it's due to Manford and Carr's busy schedules that they pretape so many episodes (Though Christmas specials are often pretaped. the QI and Shooting Stars Christmas episodes were pretaped earlier this year as well.

I know everyone has their own tastes and has a right to say what they want on this forum, but boy are you guys harsh on every comedian!!
    Thanks for the info. Interesting as to how people read the jokes in the show about Manford relating to his "scandal" even though it was recorded before it happened.

Anyway, as I pointed out earlier, Manford has got in first with the jokes about it as he demonstrated the other night.
    Forum Member
    Loved Seans muslim's taking over the world at christmas. Everyone else would be indoors drinking and celebrating and not notice. They'd have Middle eastenders on telly with Ricky getting his hands chopped off for stealing and people banned from drinking in the queen vic. Might come true the way the country;s going!!