Is 'Fairytale of New York' the most played song on TV progs this year?

suki csuki c Posts: 6,075
Forum Member
Just an observation - I've heard it 3 times in the past hour!

Played over the end credits for Celeb Come Dine With Me, then I switched over to the end of Emmerdale - there it was again, now it's just played on the jukebox in the Rover's :p

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can never have enough of this song!! ;P

I was disappointed with Viva or 4music filtering some of the lyrics (fa*got, a*se) earlier.
  • suki csuki c Posts: 6,075
    Forum Member
    nthorn wrote: »
    You can never have enough of this song!! ;P

I was disappointed with Viva or 4music filtering some of the lyrics (fa*got, a*se) earlier.

I agree - it's one song I never tire of. Can't believe it's TEN years since Kirsty McCall died :(
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suki c wrote: »
    Just an observation - I've heard it 3 times in the past hour!

Played over the end credits for Celeb Come Dine With Me, then I switched over to the end of Emmerdale - there it was again, now it's just played on the jukebox in the Rover's :p
    It was also mentioned on 'Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?' the other night too!!!! ;):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was also mentioned on 'Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?' the other night too!!!! ;):D

Yep and that annoying little weasel Chris Evans didn't know the lyrics despite the over exposure over the years and him being a DJ as well.
  • Sparklyblue171Sparklyblue171 Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed with the timeless-ness of this song, never fails to get me in the Christmas mood.
    I hear it alot aswell and it comes on Radio stations too. The songs I hear the most (including Fairytale):
    - Happy Christmas(War is Over) - John Lennon
    - I Wish it Could be Christmas Everyday - Wizzard
    - Last Christmas - Wham
    - All I want for Christmas - Mariah Carey

Every year at least with the listed ones.
    Forum Member
    Agreed with the timeless-ness of this song, never fails to get me in the Christmas mood.
    I hear it alot aswell and it comes on Radio stations too. The songs I hear the most (including Fairytale):
    - Last Christmas - Wham

My all time favourite is 'Stop the Cavalry' by Jonah Lewie - it always sounds fresh - ooh & 'Driving Home For Christmas' :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And then about 20 times on the next days Brekkie show after Evans was effectively taking the mick out of himself :D
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,625
    Forum Member
    - Last Christmas - Wham

And "Stop The Cavalry" Jona Lewie is also very common.
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    I'll never forgive the Pet Shop Boys' dodgy Elvis cover version keeping this from getting to number one. :cool:
    Forum Member
    Now there's a question on the most played Christmas Songs on Family Fortunes - spooky eh :eek:
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    nthorn wrote: »

I noticed VH1 did this too a while back and that was late at night! :eek: It sounds terrible with some of the lyrics blanked out.
    Forum Member
    I noticed VH1 did this too a while back and that was late at night! :eek: It sounds terrible with some of the lyrics blanked out.

I agree - we all know the lyrics by now anyway :D

My OH says he knows it's Christmas the first time he hears 'So here it is Merry Christmas' by Noddy Holder & Slade !!! (not sure of the right title :o )
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    It is always overused. Not heard it as much this year.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It certainly seems like it is getting a good airing.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

My OH says he knows it's Christmas the first time he hears 'So here it is Merry Christmas' by Noddy Holder & Slade !!! (not sure of the right title :o )

That song's called Merry Christmas Everyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That song's called Merry Christmas Everybody.

FIxed! :D
  • RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most played Christmas song during tele programmes this year is the Shakin' Stevens Merry Christmas Everyone. Hate the bloody song.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member

Really? Was played on radio 1 8/9am christmas morning uncensored.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Am I the only one who doesn't like that song? It's a good party song but it sounds nothing like a Christmas tune.....very loud with harsh vocals,a noisy leftover from the glam rock era.

Roy Wood / Wizzard's one is far better and sounds traditional with a children's choir and sleigh bells.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Was also used on Doctor Who Confidential.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was also used on Doctor Who Confidential.

And on both Corrie and Eastenders last night.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor old Kirsty. Ten years on, and not forgotten ... http://www.kirstymaccoll.com/information/news/index.htm
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the Christmas Harry Hill. Some of those clips must have been five years old. Crikey, Mister Harry, pull your finger out ...

Anyway, there was Fairytale again, sung live in studio: Shane McGowan duetting with a singing whale ... :(
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    I'll never forgive the Pet Shop Boys' dodgy Elvis cover version keeping this from getting to number one. :cool:

That's still on you mind, then?
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That song's called Merry Christmas Everyone.
    FIxed! :D

Not quite:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d7/MXE.jpg/220px-MXE.jpg