Sky Atalantic - Your initial thoughts

SpoonfedVomitSpoonfedVomit Posts: 2,540
Forum Member
✭✭✭
what do you think of it, apparently they are broadcasting american shows am i right? stuff from HBO and that? like 90210 i presume?

Comments

• Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    what do you think of it, apparently they are broadcasting american shows am i right? stuff from HBO and that? like 90210 i presume?
    Not quite.

* Angels in America
    * Bored to Death
    * Big Love
    * Boardwalk Empire
    * Bored to Death
    * Curb Your Enthusiasm
    * Eastbound & Down
    * Empire Falls
    * Enlightened
    * Entourage
    * ER
    * Flight of the Conchords
    * Funny or Die
    * Game of Thrones
    * Generation Kill
    * How To Make It In America
    * Hung
    * In Treatment
    * Inside the Actors Studio
    * Luck
    * Mad Men
    * Mildred Pierce
    * Seinfeld
    * Six Feet Under
    * Tell Me You Love Me
    * The Mind of the Married Man
    * The Pacific
    * The Sopranos
    * The Wire
    * The X-Files
    * Thirtysomething
    * Treme
    * Weeds

As a Virgin Media customer I won't be able to get Sky Atlantic, so personally I'm not keen on the idea.

On a more general note, it's probably not good for television generally for a channel to have a deal like the one they have with HBO. That said, it does mean some people will have a chance to see shows that might not otherwise have been picked up (like Treme).
  • SpoonfedVomitSpoonfedVomit Posts: 2,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    isnt 90210 on HBO though?
    Forum Member
    No. HBO make good television.
  • SpoonfedVomitSpoonfedVomit Posts: 2,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how dare you :mad::mad::mad:
    :p
    Forum Member
    90210 is on The CW, which generally gears its programming towards 16-25 women.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what do you think of it, ...
    Too early to tell. They don't start broadcasting until February. Come back then and ask once people have had the chance to watch it and form an opinion
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    isnt 90210 on HBO though?
    What on earth gave you that idea?! Have you seen that programme?! :D

I don't understand why they're making original British programming for this channel (though I've only heard of one so far). Surly that defeats the object of the channel?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,258
    Forum Member
    Isn't Sky Atlantic exclusively HBO programming.!

and 20910 is back on E4 not Sky Atlantic :)
  • ajaaja Posts: 1,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    Too early to tell. They don't start broadcasting until February. Come back then and ask once people have had the chance to watch it and form an opinion

The voice of common sense!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,258
    Forum Member

Some of those shows that are coming to Sky Atlantic have been on other channels. I am sure that after a few months it will be the same as SKY1/2/3, constant repeats ;)
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Virgin Media customer I won't be able to get Sky Atlantic, so personally I'm not keen on the idea.

Has this been 100% confirmed that Virgin customers will not get Sky Atlantic at all ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Sounds like what Sky One was like, back in the days when it was good. That said, it's not enough to get me hooked on pay TV again - it took me years to give up that expensive habit.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    pkc wrote: »
    Isn't Sky Atlantic exclusively HBO programming.!

nope, check that list
  • CrimsonmonCrimsonmon Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    * Curb Your Enthusiasm
    * Seinfeld

I'm sold.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite.

* Angels in America
    * Bored to Death
    * Big Love
    * Boardwalk Empire
    * Bored to Death
    * Ect..ect
    And you can add the new series of 'The Ricky Gervais Show' to that list, as that is shown on HBO first, before coming over here.
    The first series was shown on Channel 4 - but with Sky Atlantic starting up, it appears that little arrangement may ghave been ripped up...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    New Curb is still on More4, isn't it?
    Forum Member
    It's not too early to discuss the concept of the channel itself.
    Has this been 100% confirmed that Virgin customers will not get Sky Atlantic at all ?
    I haven't seen them, but according to VMHD the ads for Sky Atlantic say it's Sky exclusive.
    MartS wrote: »
    And you can add the new series of 'The Ricky Gervais Show' to that list, as that is shown on HBO first, before coming over here.
    The first series was shown on Channel 4 - but with Sky Atlantic starting up, it appears that little arrangement may ghave been ripped up...
    Possibly, but then Channel 4 might have a deal in place to broadcast season 2 as well. FX has a life-of-the-series deal to broadcast True Blood, which is why that's not on the list.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When does it start, and what channel number does it have?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen them, but according to VMHD the ads for Sky Atlantic say it's Sky exclusive..

Had a look and it seems to imply the HD feed will be Sky Exclusive. I guess it would make sense just to give Virgin customers the SD feed to tempt them away and back to Sky.
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    When does it start, and what channel number does it have?
    "Early 2011", replacing Sky 3 (108).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Had a look and it seems to imply the HD feed will be Sky Exclusive. I guess it would make sense just to give Virgin customers the SD feed to tempt them away and back to Sky.

Sky seem to refer to all of their channels as HD though, for example when they talk about Sky1 in advertising they always call it "Sky 1 HD". So to me, it sounds as if Sky Atlantic will be exclusive to Sky in both SD and HD forms. Of course i'm just speculating there, i'm sure we'll find out whether it will be on Virgin sometime before the February launch.

Would it really be a shock if it wasn't on Virgin though? I mean, the clue is in the name "Sky Atlantic".
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Sky seem to refer to all of their channels as HD though, for example when they talk about Sky1 in advertising they always call it "Sky 1 HD". So to me, it sounds as if Sky Atlantic will be exclusive to Sky in both SD and HD forms. Of course i'm just speculating there, i'm sure we'll find out whether it will be on Virgin sometime before the February launch.

Would it really be a shock if it wasn't on Virgin though? I mean, the clue is in the name "Sky Atlantic".

Sky 1 has the word sky in it but still is on vm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Sky 1 has the word sky in it but still is on vm.

Yes, i know. What i was getting at is that since it's a Sky channel surely it is well within Sky's rights to make the channel Sky exclusive (the sheer amount of quality programming on the channel will be a big selling point for them). I'm sure that the VM customers would whine on about it being unfair anyway, but it's not like it's an independant channel that must be shared between platforms.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, i know. What i was getting at is that since it's a Sky channel surely it is well within Sky's rights to make the channel Sky exclusive (the sheer amount of quality programming on the channel will be a big selling point for them). I'm sure that the VM customers would whine on about it being unfair anyway, but it's not like it's an independant channel that must be shared between platforms.

Yes that is the complete problem with pay tv in the uk half the country cannot get cable,and i like many others cannot get sky,and with the attitude of pay tv oprators ie exclusive,it means we cannot get the channels because we cannot change providers at all even if we wanted.It was like before sky bought the vm channels their customers had no access to Living HD.

My other point would be i do not like much american tv anyway so there is little of interest for me on it,the only programme i do watch curb your enthusiasm is available on a big box set from amazon,so for me personally there is nothing on the channel.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member

Sky has never deliberately held a channel as "exclusive". All that crap with virgin was just arguing about price. I think Sky Atlantic could well go to virgin but with sky now owning the ex-virgin channels Sky are going to want more money and it will be up to virgin to decide if they decline the channel, pay more and absorb the costs or offer it as an added extra or maybe just on the top tier packages etc.