Options

Billy Idol

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
Another guy from the 1980s... looking back now the 80s seems like a pretty hot pop scene....( mind you here in the teenies decade pop music seems dead and gone.. its all Lady Gaga and rancid meat .)

Got to admit, seeing him on top of pops .. I was nt impressed, he seemed like some talentless upstart.... pretty obnoxious with it.

Besides that , with the haircut I used to get him confused with that guy from flock of seagulls.

But the album Rebel Yell...1983 upped his status and put him in the big league.

Rebel Yell... wot a song... Eyes without a Face.... White Wedding....
He's written a few classic songs.

In a big summer concert I can imagine Billy doing a 1 hour slot ( Just before Bowies slot ) and Rebel Yell would bring the house down....
He's probably overindulged in drugs in the past, hope the guy is over that now.
Hes age 55 in 2010 !

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Rebel Yell
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdphvuyaV_I

Whats going on in the middle of that song... sounds like a machine gun.. !

Billy.. wot does he look like ? could have put a bit more thought into his stage costume....
    shredded bin bag is it ? wot a mess !!!!
  • Options
    TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Billy was originally with Punk Rockers Generation X, and was pretty huge in the 80s indeed, His appearance actually helped him achieve fame, as it was very striking at a time when more and more bands were becoming one homogenous mix --- Billy certainly stood out from the crowd, which was pretty much how his image was cultivated, aimed mostly at the young male rebels, looking for a new hero.

For a softer side to the Idol fella, check "Sweet Sixteen" --- lovely little track.

BTW that's either a guitar effect on Steve Strange's axe, or more likely a synth effect: nothing special, just punches into the song, makes it a bit more forceful.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a guy from the 80's, he's still going.

His 2005 release "Devil's Playground" was a fantastic album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Trollheart wrote: »
    Billy was originally with Punk Rockers Generation X, and was pretty huge in the 80s indeed, His appearance actually helped him achieve fame, as it was very striking at a time when more and more bands were becoming one homogenous mix --- Billy certainly stood out from the crowd, which was pretty much how his image was cultivated, aimed mostly at the young male rebels, looking for a new hero.

For a softer side to the Idol fella, check "Sweet Sixteen" --- lovely little track.

BTW that's either a guitar effect on Steve Strange's axe, or more likely a synth effect: nothing special, just punches into the song, makes it a bit more forceful.

EDIT: I think I mean Steve Stevens ... d'oh! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For a guy from the 80's, he's still going.

His 2005 release "Devil's Playground" was a fantastic album.

Nice to hear that, Ill have to check that album out.... but the guy is pure rock and roll
    he should be doing more concerts and getting more recognition.
    Guess hes living in LA or somewhere right now .
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my fav was 'sweet 16'... quite a wistful lament...

didnt like generation x and thought in that he was a third rate elvis impersonator..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Billy reminds me a bit of Jim Morrison
    ... Jim was a hard rocker too.. but he could also write wistful songs like... "Love Street.."
    ( he overdid the illegal substances too ! )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm. I think comparing Morrison and Idol is pushing it a bit. Two very different artists. You'd need to provide more reasons why you see similarities between the two before I'd be convinced ... ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trollheart wrote: »
    EDIT: I think I mean Steve Stevens ... d'oh! :eek:

Yes I think you do :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still love Billy Idol.

He was one of the biggest selling UK artists in the States in the 80's.

Great image, knew how to make a great video (essential in the 80's)..

Vital Idol is one of my fav remix albums, still sounds brilliant now.