Options

Missing channels

TabbyKitten95TabbyKitten95 Posts: 370
Forum Member
Can anyone suggest why my DVD recorder (with freeview) won't pick up channels 1 - 9?

I find it odd as my PVR does and both devices are connected to the same aerial socket using a splitter.

It's not a huge problem, as I'd only want to use it in the event of a three way programme clash. I used to get round this by recording two of the programmes on the PVR and watching the third on analogue, but since the Tyne Tees switchover last month I can't do that any more.

The lowest channel I can get on the DVD is 10 which is ITV3. I've had a scroll down the channel list in case it's just positioned them further down but they're definitely not there. It's not picking up any BBC radio stations either. :confused:

Comments

• Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the bbc changed some thing as part of the switchover which some older equipment doesn't understand. Some only need a factory reset (not a simple rescan). But some won't work and need to be replaced.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to be some weird issue with the DVD recorder. ITV3 is on the same mux as ITV1 and 2 Channel 4 and Channel 5. So if that is being received then so should all the others. The BBC channels not being there could be a problem receiving that mux but it does not make a lot of sense about the others.

And what about CBBC and CBEEBIES are they listed. if so that makes even less sense as they time share with BBC3 and BBC4. And even less so if BBC News and BBC Parliament are also listed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies guys, I've done a factory reset as well as a channel scan but that's made no difference.

And yes, CBBC and Cbeebies are also missing, as are BBC News and Parliament.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you confirm that you are missing ITV1, C4, C5 and ITV2 as well as the BBC channels as your opening post suggests? If you are getting ITV3 then it makes no sense for those channels to be missing as they are all on the same mux. Generally you either get every channel on a mux or none of them.

That might explain why the BBC channels are missing as they are all on one mux now.

Do you know what transmitter you are receiving from? If you don't stick your post code in here

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/

tick the "Detailed view" box. That will tell you the most likely transmitter you are receiving from. The other thing you could try is a manual tune. If you scroll down to the detailed view you will see a number of columns. The ones in grey headed with N are the UHF channel numbers of the muxes. You feed these numbers into the DVD recorder Manual Tune option. See what happens if you try the BBC mux UHF channel number.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, I'm missing BBC1, 2, 3 and 4, ITV1 and ITV2, channel 4 and 5.

When I looked a bit more closely and compared the two EPGs, I haven't got ITV1+1 or E4 either, but I'm not so bothered about those.

The Digital site says my most likely transmitter is Bilsdale and the number is the grey box for BBC for that one is 26. It didn't do anything when I put it in the manual option, just did a scan and then came up with nothing :(
  • Options
    brumlad36brumlad36 Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm missing BBC1, 2, 3 and 4, ITV1 and ITV2, channel 4 and 5.

When I looked a bit more closely and compared the two EPGs, I haven't got ITV1+1 or E4 either, but I'm not so bothered about those.

The Digital site says my most likely transmitter is Bilsdale and the number is the grey box for BBC for that one is 26. It didn't do anything when I put it in the manual option, just did a scan and then came up with nothing :(

ITV3 is not on the same MUX as ITV1. Do you have any channels starting with 800? If so, see if you can manually delete every channel and then re-tune your box.

Bilsdale went through the second stage of digital switch-over recently.

When our local (Belmont) transmitter went through DSO, my neighbour had a similar problem. She was faced with either "Scan and Add" or "Scan and Replace". If you have such an option, you should choose "Scan and Replace".

Chris.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brumlad36 wrote: »
    ITV3 is not on the same MUX as ITV1.
    Quite right. I checked on the DTG website and didn't spot first time round that for some reason they have ITV3 listed on two muxes??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Quite right. I checked on the DTG website and didn't spot first time round that for some reason they have ITV3 listed on two muxes??

Check the blobs next to the channels. ITV3 on PSB2 is not present in England, Wales, Scotland or Selkirk. According to the DTG, ITV3 isn't on PSB2 anywhere...

The fuller story is that the DTG website is out of date, and this task is now being performed by DMOL. There, you can see that ITV3 is only on PSB2/D3&4 in the Channel Islands.

This is because there aren't enough frequencies in the Channel Islands to run commercial multiplexes at all, so ITV plc (which now owns Channel Television) have decided to put ITV3 on D3&4 rather than an ITV1 +1 service.
  • Options
    GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might want to tell us make + model of the DVD recorder - it may may no difference, or someone on here may recognise a post-DSO issue with it.

What happens to the aerial cable between the aerial and your DVD recorder? Is the signal going through any other devices on the way - e.g. signal boosters or a Sky receiver? It is possible that something is wiping out the two affected groups of channels - or that the signal on those channel groups has been boosted too high and is distorted and cannot be decoded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's a Toshiba D-R18DTKB, and doesn't appear to be on the digitaluk list of devices that would need to be replaced after switchover.

The splitter is connected to the aerial socket, with one feed going directly to the PVR and the other directly to the DVD recorder.

I've tried the maual delete of all the channels and re-scan suggested by brumlad but still nothing below 10.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I might try contacting Toshiba to see if they are aware of any issues with this model :)
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do a factory reset/retune with the aerial NOT plugged in .. (this will cause it to forget everything!)
    Then retune with it connected directly to the aerial - that avoids any interference from other things / signal levels etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not try daisy chaining the aerials first instead of splitting and see how that goes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    YES!! I tried the reset with it unconnected as technologist said, that got me ITV1 and 2 and channels 4 & 5. Then I connected the DVD coax to the 'out' jack of the PVR instead of direct to the splitter and everyting's there now! (all the ones I need, anyway, not fussed about obscure shopping channels or anything).

Thanks very much everyone for all your help and patience with a technophobe :o:)