EE - Joey & Lauren...what the..

andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
Forum Member
No longer a regular viewer but know enough that these 2 are first cousins.

I thought their immoral liaison storyline has been killed off until I saw that bit last night when they kissed in public...wtf are these writers doing????

It's just wrong.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're back together now. It's not technically incest but I personally find it wrong on many levels and it's always nauseating watching them snogging.
  • tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keeping it in the family. He got that obsession about his sister that his dad had, I fully expect him to jump on alice anytime soon.
  • karl93karl93 Posts: 1,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    They're back together now. It's not technically incest but I personally find it wrong on many levels and it's always nauseating watching them snogging.

How dare you! It's amazing to see Lauren get some :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    It isn't illegal and, in many cultures, first cousins are often paired up together. Heck, for generations, the royal families of Europe were linked in that way!

I know I wouldn't feel comfortable with it, but it doesn't particularly bother me to see it on screen. *shrugs*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    karl93 wrote: »

I'm sure you're loving this Karl :D
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It happens in real life a lot more than people think so I think EE are right to do this kind of storyline
  • Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aliaslotte wrote: »
    It isn't illegal and, in many cultures, first cousins are often paired up together. Heck, for generations, the royal families of Europe were linked in that way!

I know I wouldn't feel comfortable with it, but it doesn't particularly bother me to see it on screen. *shrugs*

Exactly. Of course there may be a higher genetic chance of something going wrong but it's up to the people involved to decide whether or not they want to risk that and usually things turn out fine anyway. Nothing wrong with it at all and I love Lauren and Joey together.
  • bob321bob321 Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    karl93 wrote: »

I wish it was me instead of Joey kissing her
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My old Team Leader married her cousin and no one batted an eyelid.
    I dont get what the problem is . :rolleyes:
  • mialukemialuke Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    I could understand people viewing it as wrong if they grew up together, but they didn't meet until they were adults so I personally don't find it wrong in this case.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,560
    Forum Member
    Are they hiding this from Tanya and Max because they never seem to kiss in front of them?
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cousins don't share the same parents, so it's not incest in the real sense, even if there's slightly higher than average risks when it comes to having children - perhaps less risk than a woman who smokes during pregnancy, hence why cousins can legally marry.

Also, Joey and Lauren never met each other during childhood.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Cousins still share some genes because their parents are very closely related. Ever heard of a condition called the Hapsburg jaw? The Hapsburgs were the biggest and most power European royal family who were so inbred they were left with physical disfigurements (the Hapsburg jaw being the most infamous), low intelligence, learning difficulties and infertility problems. It got to the point where heirs to the throne were not being produced and the family literally died out. Granted, there were uncles marrying their nieces and so forth which is illegal nowadays, and this happened over centuries. But there can be serious health implications for the children of people who are closely related. Why do you think our Royal family hasn’t done it since Elizabeth II married Prince Phillip (though they are distant cousins, not first). Personally I think it’s wrong and I have male cousins that I have grown up with and ones I haven’t.
  • princesarock12princesarock12 Posts: 1,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mialuke wrote: »
    I could understand people viewing it as wrong if they grew up together, but they didn't meet until they were adults so I personally don't find it wrong in this case.

It still doesn't sit comfortably with me but I definitely think it's more acceptable than cousins who had known each other for a long time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »

I don't get why people roll their eyes at people with different opinions but hey.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My neighbour is married to her first cousin, its not illegal and was practice in the olden days, normally for families too keep close ties, money in the same family and same surname etc.

Its not something I could ever do myself because of personal and moral beliefs but I don't have a problem with it cause I don't think its my business but I can understand it doesn't sit well with everyone and that's fine as there entitled to that view.

I actually enjoyed theses two at the beginning because (I know there actors and it isn't real) but the storyline has lost its luster for me probably because Lauren is irritating me more as a character!
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    I don't get why people roll their eyes at people with different opinions but hey.

Duhh it makes them look big and clever :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    felixrex wrote: »
    Duhh it makes them look big and clever :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Touche :cool:
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whitney's reaction to them last night was spot on. There haven't been enough scenes of the characters showing revulsion towards them. The writers want us to view this as a love story and are negating the social, biological and moral implications of the relationship, which is the most interesting part of the story. In their efforts to please the Twitter brigade who gush over Joey and Lauren because they're fit the writers have steered clear of making the storyline gritty and realistic. There was more scorn poured on Sharon and Dennis when they hooked up and they weren't even related by blood. I often wonder if Phil had hooked up with Ronnie or Roxy in 2007 if people would have shipped that couple. Phil barely knew them when they showed up for his wedding. Even Peggy didn't recognize them.
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,216
    Forum Member
    When I see them snogging I am just thinking how lucky David is getting to snog Jac J. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whitney's reaction to them last night was spot on. There haven't been enough scenes of the characters showing revulsion towards them. The writers want us to view this as a love story and are negating the social, biological and moral implications of the relationship, which is the most interesting part of the story. In their efforts to please the Twitter brigade who gush over Joey and Lauren because they're fit the writers have steered clear of making the storyline gritty and realistic. There was more scorn poured on Sharon and Dennis when they hooked up and they weren't even related by blood. I often wonder if Phil had hooked up with Ronnie or Roxy in 2007 if people would have shipped that couple. Phil barely knew them when they showed up for his wedding. Even Peggy didn't recognize them.
    But weren't there few references made to them playing as kids and Phil being a bully? Phil knew them when they were kids so I'd say its a little different to Joey and Lauren who just met as adults.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This. I have a friend who married her cousin and nobody gave a monkeys. Each to their own I guess.
  • LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me neither years ago I worked with a girl who was married to her first cousin - their dad's were twins !!
    they had 2 very healthy children but were quite disappointed they didn't have twins
    its not illegal why are people getting the vapours :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are a hot couple. Who cares if they share a little blood?
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But weren't there few references made to them playing as kids and Phil being a bully? Phil knew them when they were kids so I'd say its a little different to Joey and Lauren who just met as adults.

Perhaps I've chosen a bad example as the backstory regarding Ronnie, Roxy and Archie was changed over time. Joey and Lauren may not have met until adulthood but they're still closely related. I honestly don't see how not growing up together changes anything. It's still biologically and morally wrong in my opinion.