Should Those On Benefits Get Free Air Con ?

Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
Forum Member
✭✭
Is it fair that those who find themselves on Welfare should have to suffer in this intolerable heat, what kind of society are we ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL. Someone mentioned aircon benefits in a thread the other day. I had to laugh.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    Is it fair that those who find themselves on Welfare should have to suffer in this intolerable heat, what kind of society are we ?

If those of us who aren't on welfare and suffering from the heat then so can they.

Is this a serious thread?!
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I'm sure they can set the air con up in benefit offices and job centres.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, just a free paddling pool (£2.99 Tesco) to put on the living room floor to dip their feet in....and a free newspaper through the door once a week to fan themselves with.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could always make the Job Centres air conditioned instead. Even the anti benefits crowd would be hard pressed to complain.

I was lucky enough to pick up one of these air coolers at Maplin for 40 quid a couple of years ago.

http://mobile.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=35327

Shame they're no longer on sale as I don't think that kind of money is beyond reach of someone on benefits. Could be wrong though.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Silly idea unless there's a sound medical reason.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they can't pay, let them burn in hell!
    Cheers,
    David Cameron
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm on welfare too and i say, yes, its quite fair we dont have free aircon.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member

Of course they should suffer, they are scum, off with their heads, i love the Daily Mail etc...... :D
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Personally I'd make sure you had it so as to combat the hot air coming from your mouth.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is that most of the people who are working will have the advantage of air conditioned offices, shops and vehicles.

It's the poor people who aren't working who are suffering, sitting at home with their huge TVs pouring out heat.

I'm sure none of us will begrudge paying a little more tax to ensure that they're comfortable, sitting in their homes.
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't give them any ideas.
    They used to get and I gladly mean USED to get free boilers and insulation and I worked for the company that ran the scheme.
    On the whole the people I dealt with were a bunch of greedy, money grabbing t@ssers.Was exstatic to be made redundant when it ended and have a great job that I actually like now.
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice try.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Council housing tenants already have a form of free council air conditioning.

It's called "opening a window".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D

They should have swimming pools too for their 6 bedroom mansions.......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought it was called 'brick through your window'.:D
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Free air con for the summer? yeah go on, that will look ok with my new telly and new car?

I have a better idea, how about a house extension with a pool! now they could really cool off in the heat.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think maybe it should be considered for people in sheltered accommodation like the elderly or disabled like those who are vulnerable. After all we have a duty to ensure they have adequate heating on winter so why not?
  • dantealigieridantealigieri Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Everybody on benefits should have air con installed in their cars ( if they don't have them already) and if they don't have a car, the State should provide them with one.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol no, why should people on benefits get something for free that most working people can't afford.

That said, the government can give me free air conditioning if they wish. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of ice cubes per fortnight per family is enough. They are only lying around eating Black Magic and watching Lorraine after all.
  • peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only in the winter. Fuel allowance payments in the summer. Make them as uncomfortable as possible at home so they go out and get a job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peroquil wrote: »
    Only in the winter. Fuel allowance payments in the summer. Make them as uncomfortable as possible at home so they go out and get a job.

I love the children of the revolution.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I think the unemployed should be made to go around and fan the workers. It would be healthier for them than sitting around watching Jeremy Kyle all day, and the obese unemployed would lose weight and save the NHS money. Win win.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    I think the unemployed should be made to go around and fan the workers. It would be healthier for them than sitting around watching Jeremy Kyle all day, and the obese unemployed would lose weight and save the NHS money. Win win.

And give them a brush to sweep the streets on their way to fan the workers.