Options

Will my DAB radio work in Italy?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am going to Italy (South West) and just wondered if my Pure PocketDAB 1500 radio will work there. There is a thread about this but it is a few years old now so I wanted some more recent advice.

Comments

• Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    No it will not work. The DAB system used in the UK is exclusive to this country and unless you encounter seriously rare reception conditions the signal will not travel as far as Italy. Sorry! :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they used DAB Band III in Italy though. Isn't that what we use?
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dab in the UK is NOT unique - and Italy has DAB to some level or another - see http://www.worlddab.org/country_information and select the version of the world update
    or www.dab.it

From World DAB
    Around 75% of Italy's population can currently receive digital radio broadcasts via several trial multiplexes currently on air. A joint project between the commercial and public radio stations Club DAB Italia, EuroDAB and Raiway plans the launch of pilot services covering Rome, Torino, Naples and Cagliari in late 2010. The project will be extended to cover 50% of the population by 2012 following the switch off of analogue TV and focus on major urban areas and motorways.
    There are currently 13 multiplexes on air in Italy with a mix of national and regional coverage. Between them, they deliver more than 100 services, with around half being digital only.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like they use DAB+ in Italy

http://www.worlddab.org/country_information/italy
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Looks like they use DAB+ in Italy

http://www.worlddab.org/country_information/italy

Some info here too :-

http://www.wohnort.org/DAB/italy.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't make sense of any of those websites. It appears to me that DAB+ can be used but in the majority of cases standard DAB is being used. Have I understood the sites correctly?
  • Options
    Rupert RigsbyRupert Rigsby Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I was staying on Lake Garda (Peschiera) recently and yes my DAB radio did work, I could only recieve the one national multiplex, It is also duplicated in DAB+ too.

Enjoy your trip!
  • Options
    smorrissmorris Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll get more on FM though - DAB is still a niche product in Italy. The FM band is extremely chaotic in Italy, but very full in general, except in the most rural areas.
  • Options
    mgbstagmgbstag Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take it and find out! Next.
  • Options
    MSBMSB Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since no-one's mentioned it...

There are national and regional multiplexes present, but you'll only be able to get the Rai channels (Radios 1-3, Filodiffusione 4 & 5 etc) and a few commercial networks (Kiss Kiss, Deejay, RTL 102.5) on your Pure PocketDAB.

The country seems to be switching to DAB+, which unless you bought another radio recently you won't be able to hear those channels.
  • Options
    stuart2010stuart2010 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    smorris wrote: »
    You'll get more on FM though - DAB is still a niche product in Italy. The FM band is extremely chaotic in Italy, but very full in general, except in the most rural areas.

If the FM band is chatoic that must be lots of different stations? How do they make money? I thought we are told towns with less than 2 million people are not big enough to support local radio.........;)
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MSB wrote: »
    The country seems to be switching to DAB+, which unless you bought another radio recently you won't be able to hear those channels.
    Plus with some DAB+ compatable sets brought in the UK, a further firmware update is needed to get DAB+ working!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    MSB wrote: »
    Since no-one's mentioned it...

There are national and regional multiplexes present, but you'll only be able to get the Rai channels (Radios 1-3, Filodiffusione 4 & 5 etc) and a few commercial networks (Kiss Kiss, Deejay, RTL 102.5) on your Pure PocketDAB.

My DAB1500 worked fine in Italy this August and there is a decent range of basic channels. Also the Cinque classical station is now on DAB whereas it used to be only FM...
  • Options
    LeeBoy19LeeBoy19 Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    I am going to Italy (South West) and just wondered if my Pure PocketDAB 1500 radio will work there. There is a thread about this but it is a few years old now so I wanted some more recent advice.
    Rather depends on your Radio. Italy has/had DAB just like ours but are in the throes of moving to DAB+, I'm not sure if they have changed completely yet, I suspect not, but that should be relatively easy for you to check via the net. So if your DAB is a DAB+ compatible one you should not have any problems and even if not you may still get some stations with a pretty standard DAB radio of the UK kind.
  • Options
    LeeBoy19LeeBoy19 Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stuart2010 wrote: »
    If the FM band is chatoic that must be lots of different stations? How do they make money? I thought we are told towns with less than 2 million people are not big enough to support local radio.........;)
    Lot's probably not actually making money or making use of laxer laws in Italy.