Options

The Big Holby City Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    masterquan wrote: »
    ugh the tired negativity. Seriously, the highlight of that episode for you was 'smitty' 'from the Bill' the most most non actor in the show. Please.

I liked AAU stories but I detest Smithy from the Bill, Holby is plodding a rut with far too many pitiful episodes and certain cast members do not help either.

I don't like being negative where Holby is concernered as my own personal experiences on the show some years ago were happy ones, it used to be my one constant in a week of dross but lately I find myself watching on I player FF through the boring stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Holby are going to deal with mental health problems I wish they'd deal with them properly. Everything is skipped over quickly and dealt with in a week. Zosia should not be fit to practice yet one week on lithium and she's sorted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arghh,adele does my head in! Serena has turned into a good character though
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kat1985 wrote: »
    If Holby are going to deal with mental health problems I wish they'd deal with them properly. Everything is skipped over quickly and dealt with in a week. Zosia should not be fit to practice yet one week on lithium and she's sorted.

I kind of think that the whole point of this story is that she isn't fit and her father is too blinded by his love for her to see or admit it. She will melt down and cause a problem before long.

All of the hiding and covering up will spill out and result in some big changes (IMO).
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arghh,adele does my head in! Serena has turned into a good character though

I wonder if Serena is being lined up for a relationship?
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the way the Zosia sl is going it's going to take the death of a patient before Self really accepts her condition and supports her in it. As she said in this episode, she always has to be 'perfect' for him. I do feel sorry for her, she knows she needs to take the lithium but now her friend has made her feel that if she takes it then she won't be 'herself' anymore. But I hope we see her acting responsibly in the end and taking it.

I too wondered if the cuts guy is being lined up as a romance for Serena.

Adele blaming Jesse for everything got on my wick. If only we could all be as all seeing and all knowing as her. Why can she never just mind her own business?? The character would be a much better one if the toned her down a bit (well, a lot, really).

And is it just me or is Sacha looking a bit skinny these days???
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,971
    Forum Member

Same with a colonoscopy. They decide to do one, and it's straight off to theatre. Anyone who has had this procedure knows its not quite like this.
  • Options
    cloverclover Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, Adele. So many skills - HCA, student nurse, guiding light of the Elliot Hope Heart Invention Thingy, trainee astronaut, hostage negotiator, first female Archbishop of Canterbury and now Eminent Psychologist. Not all of the above are true, but I doubt whether she can remember which because she's so busy putting everybody else right :D

Episode review here
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I think Hansen will return and thrown Self off his throne in the new year!
  • Options
    masterquanmasterquan Posts: 5,804
    Forum Member
    clover wrote: »
    Oh, Adele. So many skills - HCA, student nurse, guiding light of the Elliot Hope Heart Invention Thingy, trainee astronaut, hostage negotiator, first female Archbishop of Canterbury and now Eminent Psychologist. Not all of the above are true, but I doubt whether she can remember which because she's so busy putting everybody else right :D

Episode review here

For a second there i was wondering which episodes I missed
  • Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    Rogerthat wrote: »
    I think Hansen will return and thrown Self off his throne in the new year!

We can but hope!!!
    I kind of think that the whole point of this story is that she isn't fit and her father is too blinded by his love for her to see or admit it. She will melt down and cause a problem before long.

All of the hiding and covering up will spill out and result in some big changes (IMO).

I think as Mark said that is the point of the storyline that Guy and Zosia are handling this all wrong (and I too am sure it will all go VERY wrong at some point) which I can understand from their points of view. However, am not convinced that Guy's reaction is all about his love for Zosia blinding him, as am fairly sure there's an element of him not wanting to admit (to himself and others) that HIS daughter has a mental health problem, and I think that's some of HIS stuff rather than all being about worrying for her future career/what it might mean for her long-term.
  • Options
    Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    I think the way the Zosia sl is going it's going to take the death of a patient before Self really accepts her condition and supports her in it. As she said in this episode, she always has to be 'perfect' for him. I do feel sorry for her, she knows she needs to take the lithium but now her friend has made her feel that if she takes it then she won't be 'herself' anymore. But I hope we see her acting responsibly in the end and taking it.

I too wondered if the cuts guy is being lined up as a romance for Serena.

Adele blaming Jesse for everything got on my wick. If only we could all be as all seeing and all knowing as her. Why can she never just mind her own business?? The character would be a much better one if the toned her down a bit (well, a lot, really).

And is it just me or is Sacha looking a bit skinny these days???

I noticed that last week he seems to lost quite a bit of weight, looks better

Overall I thought that was best episode in a while.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    grauniad wrote: »
    Same with a colonoscopy. They decide to do one, and it's straight off to theatre. Anyone who has had this procedure knows its not quite like this.

As an inpatient it is done far quicker than an elective one as an outpatient - you generally skip all waiting lists as it's deemed as urgent for diagnostic measures.
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wiggles247 wrote: »
    Welcome back Dante!!! Was wondering where you'd gone so its great to hear from you again.
    Stop it, you're making me :blush:
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heh true. Weren't a fan?

I think I was the only one on here at the time that wasn't.
    Spelling her name Freedah, was also most frowned upon
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,327
    Forum Member
    xAliCat91x wrote: »
    As an inpatient it is done far quicker than an elective one as an outpatient - you generally skip all waiting lists as it's deemed as urgent for diagnostic measures.

Yes but they'd still need to void the bowels for the procedure which would take a few hours even with the use of strong laxatives. It does seem that they manage it within minutes of it being suggested.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Episode review here

Great review as always. Yes did think it was a bit of a turn around for Serena, remembering her attitude when she first came in treating Keller ward almost like a conveyor belt. AAU has obviously changed her!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Episode review here

We can probably add womaniser whisperer to your list of Adele's skills. I strongly suspect that she will be the one that Jesse falls for, the only woman who can "tame" him ;-):D
  • Options
    kalikikikankalikikikan Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    We can probably add womaniser whisperer to your list of Adele's skills. I strongly suspect that she will be the one that Jesse falls for, the only woman who can "tame" him ;-):D

I think this too and I think there will be a sibling falling out as Mo loses out yet again for the attention of 'the man of her dreams.'

Talking of which where is Mr T?
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so sick of secret escapes, other than Aurthur, Doris and Self does no one else have a functioning brain cell and can see that shes a danger, erractic, manic and just a plain nause. There must be rumors around the staff, Im surprised Serena has not heard anything or Jac. Will it take her killing a patient before anything is done, I can see her doing this and the board bringing Hanssen back to oust Self.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this too and I think there will be a sibling falling out as Mo loses out yet again for the attention of 'the man of her dreams.'

Talking of which where is Mr T?

Yes, I know - how can Mo forget the lovely Mr T? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why isn't Mr T a regular anyway, is the actor busy, the show's choice, or does the character's job department not make it possible. He's a charming character. Im not sure if Mo is oblivious to his feelings or the writers ever intend to get them together. Id rather those two were together than her and Jesse or him and Adele
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adele gets up my snout, I can see why Mo gets pissed off with her.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,327
    Forum Member
    Why isn't Mr T a regular anyway, is the actor busy, the show's choice, or does the character's job department not make it possible. He's a charming character. Im not sure if Mo is oblivious to his feelings or the writers ever intend to get them together. Id rather those two were together than her and Jesse or him and Adele

I don't know but i think it is probably his speciality. They don't feature Maternity or Obs and Gynae as a Ward anymore (and frankly I'm rather glad they don't as the stories were very repetitive when they did) so it would be very difficult to 'get their money's worth' out of him on a regular contract. Either they'd have to constantly shoe horn him into other wards plots (basically have a pregnant patient or relative that has to stay on Darwin, Kellar or AAU for some contrived reason rather than being transferred), come up with some reason for Maternity to 'ward share' (like Nuero now does with GS on Kellar), have him change speciality (nor likely when at Consultant level) or basically have him hanging around doing nothing for months on end so paying the actor for doing little but also stopping him taking on other work.

So, unless they decide to reintroduce Matrnity as a Ward, he's stuck at recurring status.

Re Mo, i think she was aware of his feelings but thought he'd moved on as he got a new girlfriend and that is where it was left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks kitkat makes sense. Don't remember Maternity, Obs and Gynae stories
This discussion has been closed.