UK warned by east Europe not to meddle with migrant rights

DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/e539afc6-f71e-11e4-99aa-00144feab7de.html#axzz3Zm60y5f8

Eastern Europe is warning David Cameron against meddling with “sacrosanct” migrant worker rights, as the newly re-elected prime minister prepares to renegotiate Britain’s EU membership terms.

While Mr Cameron’s election victory has been greeted positively from across Europe, Britain’s traditional allies in the east are already preparing for a fight to defend the free movement rights of migrant workers.

More at the link.

Gotta love this :D

Comments

• NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    Dynopia wrote: »
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/e539afc6-f71e-11e4-99aa-00144feab7de.html#axzz3Zm60y5f8

Eastern Europe is warning David Cameron against meddling with “sacrosanct” migrant worker rights, as the newly re-elected prime minister prepares to renegotiate Britain’s EU membership terms.

While Mr Cameron’s election victory has been greeted positively from across Europe, Britain’s traditional allies in the east are already preparing for a fight to defend the free movement rights of migrant workers.

More at the link.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow, Romanians & Bulgarians telling Cameron not to stop them coming here for the benefit cruising and pickpocketing?

Would never have guessed.
  • SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    Wow, Romanians & Bulgarians telling Cameron not to stop them coming here for the benefit cruising and pickpocketing?

Cant comment on Bulgaria, but as someone who has visited Romania 3 times in the past 2 years, I can assure you its not Romanian nationals but the Roma gypsy fraternity that are associated with criminal activity of this kind.
    I found the majority of the Romanian people I met (and I didnt just go tourist but very much went out into the backwaters) very decent, principled and hardworking to the point of being workaholic, but as many European nationalities are, very family oriented. I still have correspondence with quite a few of them.
    Personally I cannot possibly see what interest they would have in coming to this country apart from working, and many of them would not ever consider leaving Romania.

Romania itself has one of the best growth rates in the EU (2.8%) and is really pulling itself up by the bootstraps and investing in business and infrastructure like crazy. Theres massive building of highways and modernisation going on - for instance, did you know that the broadband speeds in many Romanian cities are already some of the fastest in Europe, and way faster than some of the speeds in London?

Another thing - they have actually been criticised by the EU because they wont borrow money beyond their means to invest - they dont have a massive debt burden.
    Im not saying everythings perfect, because it isnt - but dont believe that just because its an ex communist state that things are standing still there and that they are going to descent on us in droves. Most average Romanians dont even think of leaving, because they see the massive improvements happening within their country, which I can also remark, has some truly spectacular and beautiful unspoilt landscape, especially through the Carpathians.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant comment on Bulgaria, but as someone who has visited Romania 3 times in the past 2 years, I can assure you its not Romanian nationals but the Roma gypsy fraternity that are associated with criminal activity of this kind.
    I found the majority of the Romanian people I met (and I didnt just go tourist but very much went out into the backwaters) very decent, principled and hardworking to the point of being workaholic, but as many European nationalities are, very family oriented. I still have correspondence with quite a few of them.
    Personally I cannot possibly see what interest they would have in coming to this country apart from working, and many of them would not ever consider leaving Romania.

Romania itself has one of the best growth rates in the EU (2.8%) and is really pulling itself up by the bootstraps and investing in business and infrastructure like crazy. Theres massive building of highways and modernisation going on - for instance, did you know that the broadband speeds in many Romanian cities are already some of the fastest in Europe, and way faster than some of the speeds in London?

Another thing - they have actually been criticised by the EU because they wont borrow money beyond their means to invest - they dont have a massive debt burden.
    Im not saying everythings perfect, because it isnt - but dont believe that just because its an ex communist state that things are standing still there and that they are going to descent on us in droves. Most average Romanians dont even think of leaving, because they see the massive improvements happening within their country, which I can also remark, has some truly spectacular and beautiful unspoilt landscape, especially through the Carpathians.

Hmmmm. I wonder who is paying for that infrastructure improvement? I would certainly bet it's not Romania itself.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

More at the link.

Let them carry on. It's a great recruiting tool for us in the out campaign.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Hmmmm. I wonder who is paying for that infrastructure improvement? I would certainly bet it's not Romania itself.

Of course they aren't paying for it, a lot of it will be funded by the EU.

It's wrong

#voteout
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ohh its true that much of the investment is EU based. But that has happened in most of the Southern and Eastern European countries - not just Romania. I can say that they certainly dont waste the money.

Im also not a lover of the EU. But I do have a sense of injustice particularly as regards the way Romanians are viewed in the media. Even they are quite confused as to why we allow the Roma free entry to the UK. Romanian people have no love for them.
  • Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be hugely entertaining if Europe called Cameron's bluff and forced an early ref on us.
  • GTR DavoGTR Davo Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eastern Europe warns the UK not to meddle with their rights? this is OUR country, if you don't like it then leave or don't come here!! its about time we have a government who is going to try and sort this mess of an EU membership out, if nothing can be done then we leave.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    It would be hugely entertaining if Europe called Cameron's bluff and forced an early ref on us.

You sure? Because an early referendum would probably be an exit, and as much as Europe don't want to change their rules, they don't want us to leave either (they lose a bit of influence if we leave, and we give them more money than we take out).

At the point, the question is probably not whether the EU compromises, it's how, when and will it be enough?
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EU officials have put forward proposals for the redistribution of refugees on the basis of population size, unemployment rate and economic performance. I think a better metric would be net migration figures, there might not be quite so many people trying to get into Europe if they knew they were likely to end up being resettled in Bulgaria or Romania.
  • NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    GTR Davo wrote: »
    Eastern Europe warns the UK not to meddle with their rights? this is OUR country, if you don't like it then leave or don't come here!! its about time we have a government who is going to try and sort this mess of an EU membership out, if nothing can be done then we leave.

One might argue that that is precisely that which Cameron is trying to do (we are told) via renegotiation etc........... but on the other side of the coin, this news and today's non EU migrant quota news etc......... will possibly do it without government intervention. I just wonder what the next 5 years holds with regard to UK net migration, mass migration to Europe etc etc........... doesn't look rosey to me and I can't see the 'right' groups disappearing across Europe, quite the opposite in fact. I mean honestly, how much more can Italy, Malta and Greece take (people and expense) before their own people start kicking off?
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ohh its true that much of the investment is EU based. But that has happened in most of the Southern and Eastern European countries - not just Romania. I can say that they certainly dont waste the money.

(Giggles).

I sat chatting with the incredibly gregarious owner of my Bucharest hotel for hours. Fantastic tales of life under Ceaucescu, and the trials of doing business in Romania. He'd bought a vacant plot a bit out of the centre of town and had his hotel built new from scratch, I marveled at the spaghetti of rusted wiring that passed for an electrical distribution system, and he explained how he managed to get a supply.

He was told that there was no more capacity for electricity in the street, and he would have to pay to have it all dug up for a kilometre or so, and have a new mains supply laid down. I think he said they quoted an equivalent of about £250,000, but suggested he come into the office to "talk about it". He knew exactly what it meant. He took £5K in notes in his briefcase and let it lay in full view as he opened it up. Amazingly, it was suddenly discovered that there was no need to lay a new main after all - they'd found capacity on the existing wiring.

I dread to think how much Euro cash has been snaffled away in Romania (and all the other eastern countries).
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let them carry on. It's a great recruiting tool for us in the out campaign.

Reason enough for me to vote Out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    (Giggles).

I sat chatting with the incredibly gregarious owner of my Bucharest hotel for hours. Fantastic tales of life under Ceaucescu, and the trials of doing business in Romania. He'd bought a vacant plot a bit out of the centre of town and had his hotel built new from scratch, I marveled at the spaghetti of rusted wiring that passed for an electrical distribution system, and he explained how he managed to get a supply.

He was told that there was no more capacity for electricity in the street, and he would have to pay to have it all dug up for a kilometre or so, and have a new mains supply laid down. I think he said they quoted an equivalent of about £250,000, but suggested he come into the office to "talk about it". He knew exactly what it meant. He took £5K in notes in his briefcase and let it lay in full view as he opened it up. Amazingly, it was suddenly discovered that there was no need to lay a new main after all - they'd found capacity on the existing wiring.

I dread to think how much Euro cash has been snaffled away in Romania (and all the other eastern countries).

I agree with you that corruption was almost a way of life amongst the former communist states, almost a requirement. Having said that, as well as being in contact with a few friends there, I also get the regular newsletter. Its interesting how many former officials/businessmen/judges/politicians are now going to jail for corrupt behaviour, so they are certainly at least trying to clean up their act.

Romanian businessman investigated for tax evasion

http://www.romania-insider.com/florian-walter-investigated-tax-evasion/148208/?utm_source=Romania+Insider+Daily+distribution+list&utm_campaign=57d8b34c82-&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ece3d6d4cf-57d8b34c82-405599337&ct=t%28%29

Romanian anticorruption prosecutors seize Constanta Mayor’s property

http://www.romania-insider.com/romanian-anticorruption-prosecutors-seize-constanta-mayors-property/147636/?utm_source=Romania+Insider+Daily+distribution+list&utm_campaign=1532dce795-miercuri_29_aprilie_20154_28_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ece3d6d4cf-1532dce795-405599337&ct=t%28miercuri_29_aprilie_20154_28_2015%29

The ten major corruption cases that keep Romanian prosecutors and judges busy

http://www.romania-insider.com/the-ten-major-corruption-cases-that-keep-romanian-prosecutors-and-judges-busy/143222/

There have been many more prosecutions. No doubt they are trying to change things.
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Immigrants generally leave their countries to escape poverty and sadness, not find it.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    GTR Davo wrote: »

This is your country, but your country is also an EU member state. While I do agree that the current immigration policies are a joke and that they should be reformed, UK as an EU member state can't pick and choose when it comes to EU membership, choosing the common market and ignoring the freedom of movement.

Until the EU referendum is held in the UK, the country is an EU member and it should respect its laws, until decided any different in the future.
  • AbbieJayAbbieJay Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    davor wrote: »
    This is your country, but your country is also an EU member state. While I do agree that the current immigration policies are a joke and that they should be reformed, UK as an EU member state can't pick and choose when it comes to EU membership, choosing the common market and ignoring the freedom of movement.

Until the EU referendum is held in the UK, the country is an EU member and it should respect its laws, until decided any different in the future.

We're a State of the EU then. And under their laws. But none of us agreed to this. The EU bigwigs can't be voted out by us. Which makes it a dictatorship. I've read a Prime Minister isn't allowed to transfer our laws to another power. Anyone know if that's true?
  • HalkiHalki Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »

AbbieJay wrote: »
    We're a State of the EU then. And under their laws. But none of us agreed to this. The EU bigwigs can't be voted out by us. Which makes it a dictatorship. I've read a Prime Minister isn't allowed to transfer our laws to another power. Anyone know if that's true?

AbbieJay, I agree with you. I find that post by davor to be chilling and a terrible omen for the future of our country. I respect NO E.U. "laws" Our politicians are betraying us.
  • Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »

Nations of thieves are they?

What a hateful person you are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    AbbieJay wrote: »

If it is, then the last eight Prime Ministers have cheerfully ignored it - so I would hazard a guess that the answer is "no".

And in any event, there was a referendum to remain in the EEC in 1975 which gave public assent to the principle, if not necessarily the extent, of the delegated authority by which member states, officials and elected representatives (directly elected from 1979) could find common ground on mutually agreed rules for the Common Market and later the EU to operate.

The principle of freedom of movement was in the treaties way back then, too - so technically, that principle has also received popular assent at least once. And for most of the time we've been members of the EEC and EU, no-one cared about it. It's only since 2004, when the A8 countries joined (their accessions aided and abetted if not championed, I might add, by successive Tory and Labour Governments since the end of the Cold War), and Parliament ratified their accessions without doing what a lot of other member states did in imposing transitional controls on A8 nationals' right to work in this country, that people started to sit up and take notice.

The EU only has power by virtue of, and to the extent allowed by, the treaties ratified here, agreed by our Government and passed into law by our Parliament. EU "laws", in turn, apply in the UK by dint of their passage in Parliament through primary legislation or statutory instrument.

The EU "bigwigs" are either heads of member-state Governments - one of which we (sort of) selected last Thursday - or Commissioners nominated by those same Governments and agreed upon by votes in the European Parliament, or European Parliamentarians themselves, a number of whom we directly elected last year.

Sure, you might not be able to vote out a specific individual - but how different is that, really, to the fact that unless you happen ot live in the environs of Witney or Mexborough, you couldn't vote out David Cameron or Ed Miliband (respectively) either? And the Lords and the Monarch are of course not subject to any kind of popular vote - does that make the UK a "dictatorship"?
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a hateful person you are.

Par for the course on DS Politics.
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Roma gypsies are I think universally acknowledged as such.