Options

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Thread (Part 12)

Comments

• Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope we are not having to off load a fair portion of this years incoming players a year later!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    I know a whole bunch have to go, which means a whole bunch have to arrive, but it does mean, this time next season, we'll be talking about how it takes a while for new players to settle into the league, the city, the style of play ..... won't it be nice one day to have near certainties fitting into an already settled squad/side ...

This is what i'm hoping Mitchell will bring to the process. Obviously he's not Gandalf (as cool as that would be :)) but if his methods are to be believed then targets will be assessed on not only footballing aspects but personal aspects as well to ensure the best possible chance of them being able to settle in this country and adapt to the premiership.

He'll likely cock a few up here and there, but if he's as good as he's been made out to be, i think it'll be significant progress for us whatever happens, mainly due to the half-arsed way we've recruited players in the past.

Also, The Mirror are reporting that Poch has told the board he doesn't want to sell Lamela, which i'm quite happy with if it's true

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/mauricio-pochettino-tells-tottenham-bosses-5730570
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lamela has gradually improved this year and his physical strength is catching up with his footballing skill. He could very well blossom into the real deal, so I'm glad Poch wants to keep him.

I never thought I'd be saying this about Rose, but we should only sell him to City if they pay a stupid price and we have secured a decent replacement. We really shouldn't be selling any of our best players to the top 4 as a general policy.
  • Options
    knickerlesscageknickerlesscage Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some lad on Twitter visited the training ground (posted photos), asked Kane if he was staying and he promised yes, Hugo replied with 'dunno' - wouldnt take much from it, but still a bit of info.
  • Options
    mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    I see Adebayor has more compassionate leave to return to Togo after a family row.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/05/21/emmanuel-adebayor-released-on-compassionate-leave-by-tottenham-h/

http://www.monitor.co.ug/Sports/Soccer/Emmanuel-Adebayor-accuses-brother-of-holding-knife/-/690266/2724474/-/n4jsuy/-/index.html

Surely none of these articles are making it any easier for us to off-load him during the transfer window.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    LOL. I don't even need to comment really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    media reporting personal terms agreed with Lavezzi from PSG....
  • Options
    Forum Member

Also, The Mirror are reporting that Poch has told the board he doesn't want to sell Lamela, which i'm quite happy with if it's true

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/mauricio-pochettino-tells-tottenham-bosses-5730570

Fwiw, I've come to the view we bought a talented boy used to fannying around in Italy and it's taken a couple of years for him to grow up and get a grip of this league and culture. This next season we should see what he's made of, hopefully it's worth the ridiculous price of two years wages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    media reporting personal terms agreed with Lavezzi from PSG....
    A 4 year deal for a 30 year old? This would represent a change in policy as in recent years, outfield players have not been kept on much beyond that age. I think Adebayor is our current oldest at 31 followed by Soldado, just shy of 30 and Kaboul at 29.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barcelona's Marc Bartra, 24 year old CB is the latest player we have been linked with after it was reported that his reelase fee has been dropped to £7.1m. Height wise he just scrapes in at 6ft, when centre backs are ususally 6ft +some.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fwiw, I've come to the view we bought a talented boy used to fannying around in Italy and it's taken a couple of years for him to grow up and get a grip of this league and culture. This next season we should see what he's made of, hopefully it's worth the ridiculous price of two years wages.

It's irritating that almost all of the reports around this particular story are branding him as a "flop" as if he was supposed to be the second coming of Gareth Bale as soon as he arrived.

He's certainly shown in the past few months that the more playing time he's given, the more he'll continue to improve so I certainly think it's worth keeping him.

The Metro are reporting that we're supposed to be interested in Jonny Evans from United

http://metro.co.uk/2015/05/21/tottenham-line-up-transfer-deal-for-manchester-uniteds-jonny-evans-5209710/?

Could be interesting, but I do think the Metro tend to be one of those sites that pretty much pick player X and club Y out of a hat and say one is interested in the other and go from there.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Lamela has done enough, and contributed enough without every really being outstanding, to warrant more time with us. He's finally starting to settle now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's irritating that almost all of the reports around this particular story are branding him as a "flop" as if he was supposed to be the second coming of Gareth Bale as soon as he arrived.

He's certainly shown in the past few months that the more playing time he's given, the more he'll continue to improve so I certainly think it's worth keeping him....
    I think any player with a big price tag, who doesn't instantly deliver, is going to be labelled a flop by the media. Harsh on Lamela because of his young age when he joined us and his need to build up his stamina and physicality to be able to cope with the rigours of our league.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I think Lamela has done enough, and contributed enough without every really being outstanding, to warrant more time with us. He's finally starting to settle now.

Agree, doesn't he have the most assists for us this season now also? Am sure I read that somewhere...

Noticed that Holtby is not mentioned in any of the comings & goings articles. Has a deal already been agreed for him to stay where he is? I know there was a video floating round of him speaking with fans that indicated he intended to be there the season after. He must feel slightly hard done by at never really having been given a chance in the side, especially when you see Mason consistently keeping a starting place when not exactly setting the world alight recently, as well as Paulinho being kept around the squad - though I expect his transfer fee has a lot to do with that.

I know theyre different players, and perhaps different types of players and that whilst many like Holtbys drive and passion they just dont think he was good enough for us, but is he really any worse than some we have kept? I would have loved to see him given a proper chance because I know he would have given his all every game, no matter the score or circumstances. Thats not enough on its own, but maybe he would have settled in and hit some form for us, guess we will never know.
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the Holtby move was finalised pretty quickly as Hamburg were given limited time to take up the option. Also, think his move was pretty much about the lack of assurances given by, I assume Pochettino, about regular game time. Hamburg pretty much sold themselves to him with those assurances.

I agree that with hindsight, perhaps he would have gotten more game time with us than even Pochettino or Holtby himself envisaged. If he's as good as some think he'll end up at a CL Club at some point but I won't be holding my breath.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree, doesn't he have the most assists for us this season now also? Am sure I read that somewhere...

He does, yeah. He's got seven assists in the league, and ten in all competitions. (Rose and Chadli are joint second in the league with five, and Soldado and Townsend are joint second in all competitions with six).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    He does, yeah. He's got seven assists in the league, and ten in all competitions. (Rose and Chadli are joint second in the league with five, and Soldado and Townsend are joint second in all competitions with six).

Not too shoddy when he has only towards the latter end of the season been getting some proper game time.

The apparent leaked new away shirt;

http://twitter.com/HotspurRelated/status/601736806959284224/photo/1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most have forgotten that Holtby is still our player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still like Holtby. I think he could have been a good AM for us. And his enthusiasm for the game was infectious as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onelegpeg wrote: »

Just seen that actually, good news. Obviously would like to wait for the official announcement but for him to confirm is almost as good :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kane to score six today and win the golden boot? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kane to score six today and win the golden boot? :)

definitely :)

weird selection - appears to be a 3-5-2 on paper
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Youngsters Joshua Onomah and Harry Winks on the bench. Perhaps an indication of potential promotion to the first team next season. I know Winks had been training with the first team recently.
This discussion has been closed.