Jeremy Hunt: What a...

124»

Comments

• MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    MarellaK - Irony and sarcasm aren't always immediately apparent via the written word. Unless I've badly misinterpreted DTBH's comments, I believe they are actually pointing out the absurdity of Hunt's plans...

Yes indeed, I can see that now I've read through all the posts.

I'm pleased that other people can see the flaws with the government's proposals. Their bullying tactics may win the day, at least in the short term, but I can foresee a lot of problems ahead.

My consutant brother, as I said, is moving to Ireland with his young family, having worked in the NHS since the early 1990s. I'm tempted to follow suit. The most experienced and qualified NHS staff don't need to stay here, the government needs to start appreciating us before it's too late and there's further, more widespread exodus. Even the overseas staff are not so attracted to the UK now that the US is offering permanent residency.
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    There's the rub: without increased resources, won't this measure simply even out the death rates between weekdays and the weekend?

That's success
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No doctor is being required to work 7 days a week.

There are 5 doctors at my surgery. There is no reason why it couldn't be open 7 days a week with all there being 4 doctors on duty Monday to Friday, 3 Doctors on duty on Saturday and 2 on Sunday.

They would still be working a 5 day week.
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

There are 5 doctors at my surgery. There is no reason why it couldn't be open 7 days a week with all there being 4 doctors on duty Monday to Friday, 3 Doctors on duty on Saturday and 2 on Sunday.

So they'd treat the same number of patients
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

Nobody is saying they are:confused:

The problem is removing more doctors from week days which really are incredibly busy - a lot busier than weekends! And it won't really make much of a difference if there is no accompanying increase in the ancillary staff. Doctors don't ''fix'' patients on their own - they need a whole supporting team, at least they do in acute hospital trusts.

I am not talking about GP practices and I am not sure Jeremy Hunt is either. Most of the recent discussions have centred around acute care in hospitals and the higher death rates at weekends.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So they'd treat the same number of patients

I am not privy to the appointments register.
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    MarellaK wrote: »
    My brother is a consultant in London who still works many weekends on call - he's just secured a job in Ireland for an extra £20k pa and better working conditions. Doctors (and nurses) are a valuable commodity who don't need to be held ransom by this government because they can work almost anywhere in the world for more money.

Doctors are ordinary people with families. As they already work roughly one weekend in 4, are they now expected to work 2 or 3 weekends in 4? Surely this will then impact on their elective work during the week with longer waiting lists for clinic appointments.

Having more doctors available at the weekends is unlikely to make that much difference if we don't have the supporting and diagnostic services also available. I fail to see where the extra money is coming from. My trust is already £12 million overspent since April.

Completely agree. To have hospitals working at full capacity for 7 days would not only have implications for hospital staffing levels but would also impact on community services as more patients would be discharged at the weekend. Our district nursing service is already 24/7 and we are struggling now. We simply would not cope without extra staffing at the weekends.

As for social services! Goodness knows what will happen.:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Was wondering what the next word was going to be from the thread title.

No you were not:D Cu.t is the next word you were wondering about:p And you are Right!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    hansue wrote: »
    Labour renegotiated their contracts in 2003 and gave them the opportunity to opt out of weekend working. There was supposed to be a loss of earnings for not working weekends but that never happened. So yes Labour are to blame and the new Tory government is trying to put patients first.

The reason most consultants dont want to work weekends is so that they can see private patients.

I was not a private patient when I was rushed into hosiptal May 2003. I waited in the A&E for one hour. Soon afterwards I am told I was taken for my operation. My bowel had to be removed. I was put in a medical coma in the ICU after the operation and did not wake up until the following Friday to find I had a bag to shit in. At lest I have plenty of bags so don't need to pay 5 pence at the supermarket:p
    What Mr Cu.t is doing is just the Tory Way. The NHS in England is a disgrace under these Crooks
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heath is a 24/7 business the doctors and consultants really need to get over themselves.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    Heath is a 24/7 business the doctors and consultants really need to get over themselves.

Not really, they can get a job anywere in the world, the NHS needs them but do they need the NHS ? And saying government say they want the NHS run like a buisness, then as good buisnessmen doctors and consultants can choose to get the best deal and condtions for themselves.
    Forum Member
    Tom2023 wrote: »

Doctors and consultants do work weekends. I have seen consultants called in to hospitals to deal with critically ill patients at 3am and still come back to work at 8am next morning.

The NHS operates a 24/7 emergency service and always has.

I see that doctors have been tweeting pictures of themselves at work today to Jeremy Hunt. ;-)
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    MarellaK wrote: »
    Doctors and consultants do work weekends. I have seen consultants called in to hospitals to deal with critically ill patients at 3am and still come back to work at 8am next morning.

The NHS operates a 24/7 emergency service and always has.

I see that doctors have been tweeting pictures of themselves at work today to Jeremy Hunt. ;-)
    What about the delay between being called out and seeing the patient? If there is no problems with a delay, then a call out service would be viable for the other 5 days as well.
    Forum Member
    nomad2king wrote: »
    What about the delay between being called out and seeing the patient? If there is no problems with a delay, then a call out service would be viable for the other 5 days as well.

I don't understand this post :confused: What do you mean?

The patients I am referring to are being attended to by the resident doctors, eg the SHO and registrar. The consultant may be called in for very serious conditions where their input is essential, not least in decision making - whether to escalate care or not.

A call out service doesn't work on week days because consultants spend that time doing routine work depending on their speciality, eg medical consultants will have ward rounds to discuss all their inpatients with their juniors and make decisions, they will have outpatient clinics, they will have teaching commitments. Surgical consultants will have an elective surgical list and clinics as well as teaching.

Consultants don't spend all their time dealing with emergencies. In fact, many of them (depending on their speciality) are not very up to date or have recent experience with clinical emergencies. Their important role is decision making - deciding on plans for patients, courses of action and making essential referrals when necessary.

Critical care consultants are always available to us (my background is mainly intensive care nursing). In my trust, most are on the unit from 8am to 8pm 7 days a week, often later when the need arises (on a rostered basis) and are on call at night. They are often called in but also will often make decisions by telephone, to the resident registrar. It depends on the situation. However, if several emergencies are happening concurrently then the consultant will be called in to support his team.
  • nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hunt knows health workers are on a 7 day week already, his task is to undermine the service, portray it negatively and drive the public towards the knight in shining private armor.
    Forum Member
    nobodyhere wrote: »
    Hunt knows health workers are on a 7 day week already, his task is to undermine the service, portray it negatively and drive the public towards the knight in shining private armor.

Find it guilty, then find a crime its guilty of. Its just a witchcunt