✭✭✭
Whats the difference between #thenaname or @thenaname? I dont get it

Comments

• kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardstyler wrote: »
    Whats the difference between #thenaname or @thenaname? I dont get it

I thought # was to try and get a topic into the "trending" lists and the @ was a comment that would also appear in the person who was referenced's inbox?

Something like that anyway!
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Post not appearing bug!
  • HardstylerHardstyler Posts: 1,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see 2 posts by u
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok. How do i find out other #threads?
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Ok. How do i find out other #threads?
    User the search. Punch in #search. Everyone else should have referenced the same topic by putting #search into their tweets. @someone is if you want to reference a person.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    User the search. Punch in #search. Everyone else should have referenced the same topic by putting #search into their tweets. @someone is if you want to reference a person.

i dont get what u mean?
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's no different to a filtered IRC client really.

Hardstyler, people give their tweets titles by putting a word in it with # on the front of it.

eg:

#funkybananas I love bananas. They be funky.

Anyone that wants to join the funkybananas conversation just adds #funkybananas to their tweets. It's called "adding a hashtag".

This would mention me in your banana conversation:

@Wokstation #funkybananas I love bananas too!

It allows me to find anyone that's talking to me. And if you see someone say that, and you agree with it... "re-tweet" it:

RT: @Wokstation #funkybananas I love bananas too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do u fond what people are posting via hashtag tho?... If i was to post something how would it come up in feeds or whatever?... Also can you just hashtag any random thing for instance?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do u fond what people are posting via hashtag tho?
    By putting the hashtag into the search box.
    ... If i was to post something how would it come up in feeds or whatever?...
    Timeline, and anyone who was watching your tweets.
    Also can you just hashtag any random thing for instance?

Certainly not. There are strict laws in place. My previous example about #funkybananas would never be allowed.
    Punishments range from, but aren't limited to, confiscation of your computer equipment and disconnection of your internet from your local exchange.

And the first two aren't the only statements of fact in this post, other than this. Honest.
  • unknown17unknown17 Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do u fond what people are posting via hashtag tho?... If i was to post something how would it come up in feeds or whatever?... Also can you just hashtag any random thing for instance?

Click on the hashtag on the tweet them it will take you to a page where people are talking about a topic.

e.g. #DIGITALSPY is cool

click the hashtag and be taken to this page

#DIGITALSPY is the best

i hate #DIGITALSPY

I am a member of #DIGITALSPY

@name did you read that article on #DIGITALSPY

hope this helps.
  • TheBoingoBanditTheBoingoBandit Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twitter how does it work?

Worthless non-entities type a daily stream of messages regarding every detail of their mundane lives and thousands of (or none) non-entities -with equally mundane lives- read them. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im still confused by it all. Bloody hell. Its not as simple as facebook is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not as simple as facebook is it?

Gotta be a joke.

Facebook is to simplicity what Labour is to truth!
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Worthless non-entities type a daily stream of messages regarding every detail of their mundane lives and thousands of (or none) non-entities -with equally mundane lives- read them. :rolleyes:

so you're not on Twitter then or you are and no one follows you :D
  • unknown17unknown17 Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you don't like it don't bother coming here to tell people that they are worthless non-entities.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    so you're not on Twitter then or you are and no one follows you :D

The former! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unknown17 wrote: »
    If you don't like it don't bother coming here to tell people that they are worthless non-entities.

Oh cheer up, it's a sunny Tuesday morning! :rolleyes:

Twitter is pretty pointless, except if used to promote businesses or similar.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh cheer up, it's a sunny Tuesday morning! :rolleyes:

I don't know - I quite like to know what Stan Lee is up to
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I don't know - I quite like to know what Stan Lee is up to

If it's messages about new comics Stan is working on etc (promoting Marvel and 'Stan Lee' as a brand), then yes I agree that could be interesting/useful.

If it's Stan Lee telling you when he has a crap or what coffee he's just bought at Starbucks, then who cares?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So are forums and chatrooms.

As I said before, Twitter is basically a massive IRC channel with a client that filters based on preference. You can even turn the filters off (view the timeline) and see the whole thing.

The only difference is that this is browser-capable, easily API'd, "single server" (it's not, but if it were an IRC room, it would be) and above all, non-geeky (making it accessible, unlike IRC).

Oh, and currently fashionable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »
    Oh, and currently fashionable.

That bit is the real answer.

People will get bored of it soon.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im still confused by it all. Bloody hell. Its not as simple as facebook is it?

I love Twitter because Facebook is needlessly overcomplicated and doens't make anything at all simple. Twitter is easy; it's just one single stream of posts and that's it. No browsing all over the place for photos and messages, no applications, no 'like' button, no multiple threads for comments, NO APPLICATIONS, no constant stream of gifts and games and friend requests.

Blessed simplicity. I love Twitter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That bit is the real answer.

People will get bored of it soon.

Those who follow fashion will. I've used IRC for many years, so Twitter's just an extension of that to me.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twitter can't be compared to IRC; for starters, you don't need a client to use twitter. And IRC will never regain in popularity compared to that.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twitter is my favourite bit of the internet, because when it's at it's best it's at the heart of what the internet is supposed to be: people communicating, across national borders and cultures.

This is good guide to getting started: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39029471,49300928,00.htm