Product placement in TV shows

kelvokelvo Posts: 3,433
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know the rules are changing regarding product placement in TV programmes, but as I understand it only applies to ITV, C4, C5 etc and not the BBC. So in that case...

...how did the BBC get away with so many references to Dyson* vacuum cleaners in the Royle Family last night? Lost count of the number of times it was mentioned and shown on screen. Product placement or not?

*other vacuum cleaners are available :D

Comments

• afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,147
    Forum Member
    Does this finally mean that drinkers are going to be able to go into a pub and order something other than a "pint please, love"?
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Product placement is when a company pays for their product to be promoted so, no, it wasn't product placement.
  • kelvokelvo Posts: 3,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having read the other thread in the Broadcasting forum, I understand it was not product placement - I was just surprised that they could mention a specific brand of product quite as obvious as it was in this episode.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    If no money changes hands and there are no other promotional links with the company they can use as many brand names as they like.
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kelvo wrote: »
    I know the rules are changing regarding product placement in TV programmes, but as I understand it only applies to ITV, C4, C5 etc and not the BBC. So in that case...

...how did the BBC get away with so many references to Dyson* vacuum cleaners in the Royle Family last night? Lost count of the number of times it was mentioned and shown on screen. Product placement or not?

*other vacuum cleaners are available :D
    Not product placement because it wouldn't have been paid for.

It was editorially justified because the brand highlighted that the present was expensive, same with getting Sky HD - it was part of the story/joke.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    afcbfan wrote: »
    Does this finally mean that drinkers are going to be able to go into a pub and order something other than a "pint please, love"?

No, alcohol product placement will not be allowed
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We already get product placement in shows like Strictly Come Dancing. X Factor, Britains Got Talent, and I'm a celebrity etc - it's called "sh*t removal"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    afcbfan wrote: »

No there would be havoc if that happened