Why does Peep Show get such low viewing figures?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
Forum Member
✭✭
It's won countless awards, is in something like its seventh series, is popular with critics and is given a good slot in the schedules. Most people I know watch it - if not every week, certainly often. So why does it fare so badly in the ratings? I read that the Christmas Eve episode at 9pm only got 700k viewers and was beaten by ITV3!

Comments

• Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    It's very much a cult comedy.
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,620
    Forum Member
    It's taken me this long to really start watching the programme and now I've sent off for the DVD boxed set.

The impression I got over the years from very occasional viewing was that it was simply strange and crass, and not worth the effort.

I suspect a lot of people just don't get it.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    It is pretty crass, I can see that putting off anyone over a certain age group.
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    The first couple of series completely passed me by and I think I only bought the DVDs when it won a British comedy award.

Scheduling? It's tended to be shown at 10.30 on a Friday which seems a bit too late?
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think its because not a lot of people watch it
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's won countless awards, is in something like its seventh series, is popular with critics and is given a good slot in the schedules. Most people I know watch it - if not every week, certainly often. So why does it fare so badly in the ratings? I read that the Christmas Eve episode at 9pm only got 700k viewers and was beaten by ITV3!

Beaten by ITV3?! Ouch.

The strange thing is that I know lots of people who watch it too - other cult shows that I watch I understand rate low as I don't know anyone who watches, but for Peep Show that isn't the case.

Admittedly I only got into it around Series 3 or 4, but once I started watching I've never missed an episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    People don't get it.

It's a subtle, cult humor, and the mainstream don't like that.
    They prefer stuff where the jokes are in your face, i.e. Come Fly With Me which got 10m viewers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its on a Friday.
    The target audience is normally out on the lash that day.
    Its a cult comedy due to directing and script.

The DVD sales more than make up for the low ratings
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be fair the Xmas Eve episode isn't the best example.
    I'm a massive Peep Show fan but I was out on the piss on Xmas Eve as I expect a lot of other fans were.

The thing with Peep Show is that the episodes can vary and if you happen to choose the wrong one to start watching which isn't to your taste you're unlikely to watch again.

During later series there are quite a few jokes that refer to earlier happenings and so would not be found that funny by a new viewer.

Luckily I happened along Peep Show when series 2 was being shown on TV. It was the episode with Darryl the racist and when Super Hans described crack cocaine as being very moreish.:D

I found it hilarious, ordered the series 1 DVD and have been eagerly awaiting each series on TV and the accompanying DVD release ever since.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think its because not a lot of people watch it

you know that's such a crazy idea ... it might just be true .
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because that Mitchell bloke is a snobbish prat and not very funny or likeable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair the Xmas Eve episode isn't the best example.
    I'm a massive Peep Show fan but I was out on the piss on Xmas Eve as I expect a lot of other fans were.

The thing with Peep Show is that the episodes can vary and if you happen to choose the wrong one to start watching which isn't to your taste you're unlikely to watch again.

During later series there are quite a few jokes that refer to earlier happenings and so would not be found that funny by a new viewer.

Luckily I happened along Peep Show when series 2 was being shown on TV. It was the episode with Darryl the racist and when Super Hans described crack cocaine as being very moreish.:D

I found it hilarious, ordered the series 1 DVD and have been eagerly awaiting each series on TV and the accompanying DVD release ever since.

Perhaps its just cr-p which was your view of tramadol nights,which is why not a lot watch it.:D
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    You have to pay attention while watching it so you know when to laugh. This confuses lots of people who are used to a laughter track.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    It's not that good these days. Series 6 was absymal, and series 7 was only mildly better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peep_Show_%28TV_series%29#Ratings
  • VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not that good these days. Series 6 was absymal, and series 7 was only mildly better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peep_Show_%28TV_series%29#Ratings

Completely untrue in both cases.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps its just cr-p which was your view of tramadol nights,which is why not a lot watch it.:D

Did I?:rolleyes:
  • VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    You have to pay attention while watching it so you know when to laugh. This confuses lots of people who are used to a laughter track.

They should let Cowell produce it, he'd make sure they upped the emotional kick so that idiots would know when and what to feel.
    Forum Member
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    They should let Cowell produce it, he'd make sure they upped the emotional kick so that idiots would know when and what to feel.

I love X Factor, but I'm not sure the Cowell has much of a sense of humour. We have such fun on the live show threads taking piss out of it all. :D Shows like this really are enhanced by the internet.

Lyricalis looks up as something whooshes over his head. Hey, what was that?
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's on CH4 which has become the home of dumbed-down TV.

It has a gimmick

The leads acting is often poor.

It's on CH4

It's only mildly amusing.

----

The support actors are always excellent but Mitchell and Webb are not good enough actors for me to really get into it.

It really is just an OK show, although I sometimes watch it.
  • MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    Probably because it is totally mediocre.

Its not bad or good enough to be compulsive viewing.
  • DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    I blame it on first look 4oD. Bad channel 4, bad!
  • tauran_shammytauran_shammy Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member
    It captures a certain kind of person, people who can identify with the characters, I suspect a lot of the shows fans are as eccentric as the people in the show. People who don't need every joke spelled out in capital letters.
    It's too clever for a lot of people.
  • tauran_shammytauran_shammy Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    It's on CH4 which has become the home of dumbed-down TV.

It has a gimmick

The leads acting is often poor.

It's on CH4

It's only mildly amusing.

----

The support actors are always excellent but Mitchell and Webb are not good enough actors for me to really get into it.

It really is just an OK show, although I sometimes watch it.
    Channel 4 dumbed down? your thinking of ITV or BBC1......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Danslink wrote: »
    I blame it on first look 4oD. Bad channel 4, bad!

Which was only for one episode wasnt it? And the Xmas Eve ep was 100,000 down on the ratings that got.

C4 only continue to make it as the DVD sales on it cover the cost - its a show that people want to watch in a sitting rather than a week at a time and thus no one watches it when its on the telly (see also Buffy and Mad Men)
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 dumbed down? your thinking of ITV or BBC1......

Didn't you hear? Everything is being dumbed down now. The only thing that is getting more complicated are the operating instructions for gadgets and explanations of why economists keep getting things wrong.