Options

The 'prayer and worship' thread

Comments

• Options
    SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fastzombie wrote: »
    I've never quite understood the flying spaghetti monster thing. People haven't been reporting mystical and transcendental experiences for centuries that involved that particular entity so why is it even brought up. If the purpose is to say, it's silly to believe in A because I can invent B which is equally unfalsifiable and charicatured sounding
    That is its purpose.
    whats to stop me from dismissing the multiverse hypothesis using something equally ridiculous sounding.
    Absolutely nothing whatever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean the ''talking to your imaginary friend'' thread?
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Was there any need for this? Seriously?
  • Options
    Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was there any need for this? Seriously?

There is always a need for truth, fact and reality.

I would ask why anyone would want to avoid that, but that gets avoided itself.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As long as I assume you are mistaking imagination for imaginary, I won't be offended that you don't see a difference. Imagination can be a legitimate means of perception. You need to keep up with theory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is always a need for truth, fact and reality.

I would ask why anyone would want to avoid that, but that gets avoided itself.

I don't avoid it. I'm very happy believing what I think is the truth.

You NEED to stop it. I don't know what this obsession that you have with anti religion is but it's creepy. Why do you put so much effort into something you don't believe or care about? You don't see me going on to the Portsmouth Supporters Thread on The Football Forum and constantly telling them how I'm on the other side and don't support their team but their rivals.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    # # wrong thread. #
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    because religion is a LIE and there is no god. Sure ''believe'' it as much as you want because nothing will stop you doing that, knock yourself out but you are wrong .

You have proof of this and you haven't come forward!? You could make yourself a lot of money son...GO GO GO!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't avoid it. I'm very happy believing what I think is the truth.

You NEED to stop it. I don't know what this obsession that you have with anti religion is but it's creepy. Why do you put so much effort into something you don't believe or care about? You don't see me going on to the Portsmouth Supporters Thread on The Football Forum and constantly telling them how I'm on the other side and don't support their team but their rivals.

If you wait, I'm sure he or she will explain the entire workings of the human brain (even the parts that are unknown), how the universe works, where quantum has gone wrong, and what reality 'really' is. Then some of us will stand corrected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    # # wrong thread. #

Right thread, surely...:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    If you wait, I'm sure he or she will explain the entire workings of the human brain (even the parts that are unknown), how the universe works, where quantum has gone wrong, and what realityreally is. Then some of us will stand corrected.

There are ignorant and narrow minded Christians and ignorant and narrow minded Atheists...Sadly it's just how some people are. Like these two. They can't live with accepting they MIGHT be wrong about something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    If you wait, I'm sure he or she will explain the entire workings of the human brain (even the parts that are unknown), how the universe works, where quantum has gone wrong, and what reality 'really' is. Then some of us will stand corrected.
    You know that the argument from ignorance is a fallacy for a reason, don't you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know that the argument from ignorance is a fallacy for a reason, don't you?

Yes most especially the argument that someone knows what 'reality' is and you don't.

So you can't disprove it.
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    There are ignorant and narrow minded Christians and ignorant and narrow minded Atheists...Sadly it's just how some people are. Like these two. They can't live with accepting they MIGHT be wrong about something.

Do the Christians here accept that they might be wrong about the existence of God?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackthom wrote: »
    Do the Christians here accept that they might be wrong about the existence of God?
    I did ask somebody the other day (on another thread, not this one) what, for them, would invalidate their belief in God. I don't think they actually answered it, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have no evidence for a belief... it is just that, a belief. I have a lot of beliefs about various things. I am unsure about a God but do not rule out a form of "higher power" for want of better words.

I can not comprehend the universe and infinite beyond and nor can anyone else really, so I can only depend on personal beliefs.

I am not about to start hunting for evidence, life is too short, I am not smart enough and frankly I have got enough on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did ask somebody the other day (on another thread, not this one) what, for them, would invalidate their belief in God. I don't think they actually answered it, though.

If God came and told me personally that he was not God but an illusionist, I would believe him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have no evidence for a belief... it is just that, a belief. I have a lot of beliefs about various things. I am unsure about a God but do not rule out a form of "higher power" for want of better words.

I can not comprehend the universe and infinite beyond and nor can anyone else really, so I can only depend on personal beliefs.

I am not about to start hunting for evidence, life is too short, I am not smart enough and frankly I have got enough on.

I'm a member of a Christian based addictions group. And although it teaches things from a Christian point of view, 1/4 of people there express no faith what so ever so are told in step 3 I think it is, to turn everything over to a 'God of your own understanding' or a 'Higher power'.
  • Options
    fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is its purpose.

But why spaghetti monsters or unicorns etc, unless as Bollywood says it's express purpose is to denigrate by comparing to a ridiculous charicature. Why would you want to do that in a discussion about the existence/non existence of God other than to use it as a tactic to make the other person look silly.

My answer would be that transcendendant and mystical experiences suggest a more profound and meaningful entity. Whether that's an actual truth or some projection from the human mind is what should be scrutinised and discussed not cartoon characters which have nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm treating this thread as an appreciation thread. I know it doesn't say so in the title - but It pretty much is.

That's fine - I'm sure it won't be long before the next rough and tumble thread starts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But why spaghetti monsters or unicorns etc, unless as Bollywood says it's express purpose is to denigrate by comparing to a ridiculous charicature. Why would you want to do that in a discussion about the existence/non existence of God other than to use it as a tactic to make the other person look silly.
    That may have been Bobby Henderson's intention. Maybe it wasn't, and maybe it was just to create an anaology and make a very good point by comparing one patently absurd belief with another with the intention that if people can clearly see that the ridiculous caricature is obvious nonsense, they might come to think that about the thing being caricatured ridiculously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm treating this thread as an appreciation thread. I know it doesn't say so in the title - but It pretty much is.

That's fine - I'm sure it won't be long before the next rough and tumble thread starts.

What do you mean by appreciation thread?
  • Options
    fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That may have been Bobby Henderson's intention. Maybe it wasn't, and maybe it was just to create an anaology and make a very good point by comparing one patently absurd belief with another with the intention that if people can clearly see that the ridiculous caricature is obvious nonsense, they might come to think that about the thing being caricatured ridiculously.

I'd answer that by saying one is an obvious nonsense, the other is a big question mark that we currently have no way of knowing.

Anyway, it's a prayer appreciation thread, so forgive my hijacking, peace and blessings to all.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd answer that by saying one is an obvious nonsense, the other is a big question mark that we currently have no way of knowing.
    OK, so why the difference? What's the basis for separating the two in that way?
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean by appreciation thread?

That the people who post are generally supportive of the thread subject.