Options

Chrissie and 'Lacky' ED

dmbowensdmbowens Posts: 574
Forum Member
✭✭
Why does Chrissie pronounce Lachie as 'Lacky' and not 'Locky'. It really jars with me. Also, when I had subtitles on the other week it came up as Lucky. What's next? Licky? :D

Comments

• Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    She does say Locky. She says Lucky too. I've never heard her say Lacky, but there's definitely a lot of to and fro between Cocky and Lucky.
  • Options
    ofthenightofthenight Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At first I always heard Locky, but now I've started hearing Lucky.
  • Options
    Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's saying Lucky and if I remember correctly when Digital Spy posted the interview with Kate Oates about the Whites joining the show he was referred to as Lucky in the article.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    She definitely says Lucky for some reason but occasionally she says Lockie. If Lucky's meant to be a nickname it's not a very good one.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hear Lucky
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought she was just Lockie but with her stupidly posh accent it sounded like Lucky, but if you listen carefully she definitely says Lucky, and the other day when she was arguing with Lawrence he also referred to him as Lucky.

I'm guessing it's his nickname?
  • Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    I thought she was saying 'Lucky'??
  • Options
    rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's definitely 'Lucky' Chrissie's calling him. When Lisa was confronting her over Lachlan and Belle a while back she referred to him as "Your Lucky" as well.

My guess is it's a childhood nickname Chrissie calls him that's just stuck through his teenage years as well. Chrissie seems to be the sort of mother who'd do something like that. No doubt he'll be dying inside each time she calls it him. :D
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't he tell her to stop calling him Lucky recently or did I dream it ?!
  • Options
    hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a dog
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I always hear her say Lucky.
  • Options
    GoinGagaGoinGaga Posts: 3,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andybear wrote: »
    Didn't he tell her to stop calling him Lucky recently or did I dream it ?!

Yes, he said something like "Don't call me that" after she'd shopped him to the police I think ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbowens wrote: »
    Why does Chrissie pronounce Lachie as 'Lacky' and not 'Locky'. It really jars with me. Also, when I had subtitles on the other week it came up as Lucky. What's next? Licky? :D
    I think it's meant to be Lachy.
    It's because a lot of English people can't pronounce the 'ch' sound. (Not all, before I'm lynched :) ) It's also an Irish or Scottish name that they're not familiar with.
    For instance they don't say Loch, as in Ness or Lomond, It's always 'Lock' >:(
  • Options
    RadicalNatureRadicalNature Posts: 5,104
    Forum Member
    I hear Lucky every single time. Never heard her call him "Locky or Lachy".

Alicia also called him "Lucky" when he was helping out in the shop and he said "That's what my mum calls me".
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somebody's said upthread, I agree, what's lucky about him?
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought for ages that Chrissie couldn't pronounce the 'ch" and it was driving me mental, but now I suspect it's Emmerdale doing irony and the nickname is Lucky:D Maybe Robert or someone could comment on it being an inappropriate nickname, these days.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Being from Yorkshire myself - it sounds like "Locky" but Chrissie is posh so she would pronounce like that - so she means "LUCKY" really!! It's like bath and barth!! :)
    Imagine Vernon Kay pronouncing 'Lucky' ! And then imagine the Lady Dowager of Downton saying the same name! Get what I mean??:p