Options

Baby/Children ear piercing

Comments

• Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    True. For example, someone may win millions on The Lottery, but what they don't win is CLASS?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Carroll_%28lottery_winner%29
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That ridiculous programme 'Blingin' up Baby' epitomises the horrendous idea of 'decorating' children.

One of the idiot mothers actually admitted that she views her baby as her new designer handbag.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chav behaviour is not about wealth, it is about lifestyle choices..

Can't buy class.
  • Options
    supertalksupertalk Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree. It should be banned on this fact alone!

A person's opinion is defiantly not fact lol.

Clueless
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »
    Can't buy class.

Class doesn't include being a sanctimonious busybody either.

Some people like pierced ears on young children, some don't. Neither group is better or more admirable than the other, it's just that one group thinks it is.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    Not sure why you posted this, unless you're just going for contentious.
    I sat and thought of friends and/or relations that I know, whose daughters have pierced ears, I thought of at least twelve.
    None of them have chavs for parents, two Dads are plasterers, one a sergeant in the police, one a black cab driver, one an architect, one an owner-driver trucker, two are civil servants, (one Dad, one Mum), another Dad a naval officer, the remainder are all well dressed working people with nice houses.
    All of them own homes that are worth between £750,000 and £1,000,000, don't see too many chavs in that bracket.
    I'm in a similar league, but I have no children.

Just shows that money can't buy class.
  • Options
    supertalksupertalk Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just shows that money can't buy class.

There's an echo in here...
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate seeing babies and very young children with pierced ears. I don't think children should have their ears pierced until they're old enough to make the decision themselves. It is their body, after all.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a quick way to spot a parent's social class.
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Its a quick way to spot a parent's social class.

so you don't think rich kids get their ears pierced
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so you don't think rich kids get their ears pierced

Class and wealth aren't necessarily connected.
    I associate babies and young children with pierced ears with traditional working class culture, at least in the UK.
    That was my observation growing up many years ago (not backed up by any research, so just a guess). Nowadays it seems to be more associated with the 'chav' element. Again, this is just the case in the UK. It may well be a different case in other countries and cultures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    I associate babies and young children with pierced ears with traditional working class culture, at least in the UK.
    That was my observation growing up many years ago (not backed up by any research, so just a guess). Nowadays it seems to be more associated with the 'chav' element. Again, this is just the case in the UK. It may well be a different case in other countries and cultures.

I think you see young American kids with their ears pierced..
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »

I was/am what I think would be termed 'middle class' when I got my daughters ears pierced as a baby which was 28 years ago.

I just asked her about this and she said she would love to get her daughters ears pierced if she has a girl but will not as she does not want any hassle off her friends etc.
    Her partner has made it clear to her that he does not want any child of his to have her ears pierced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you see young American kids with their ears pierced..

You may well do. There's a lot of different cultural groups and influences in the USA, so opinions may vary there.
    It is becoming much less popular in the UK though, certainly as far as babies and toddlers go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was/am what I think would be termed 'middle class' when I got my daughters ears pierced as a baby which was 28 years ago.

I just asked her about this and she said she would love to get her daughters ears pierced if she has a girl but will not as she does not want any hassle off her friends etc.
    Her partner has made it clear to her that he does not want any child of his to have her ears pierced.

Why would she 'love' to get her daughter's ears pierced? In what way does she think it would benefit her?
    Just asking, because I personally can't think of anything more pointless.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    A debate on “Victoria Derbyshire” currently where some parents are arguing they should have the right to be able to pierce their babies/children’s ears. One just argued it’s better as a baby because they don’t fiddle with it as much and it heals quicker.

It's the same argument trotted out for male circumcision.
  • Options
    Phil_SheridanPhil_Sheridan Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    chav behaviour is not about wealth, it is about lifestyle choices..

Are you SURE!
    She mentioned a police sergeant, a naval officer, an architect and a couple of civil servants, among others.
    And you think that because they have daughters with pierced ears they are all chavs?
    I don't really have a dog in this hunt, as I only have sons, but I know a lot of parents of daughters that have had their daughters ears pierced, and none of their family walk around in track suit bottoms, ball caps, and a pit bull on a piece of rope.
    You couldn't make it up, oh but hang on.
    It has constantly been said that money can't buy class, it would appear that intelligent reasoning is in short supply too.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had my ears pierced as a baby (as do most Asians) and my parents were/are the most un-chavvy people imaginable. I looked very cute with my little gold, ruby and sapphire earrings in.

Sorry OP, I'll not be signing the petition.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think babies who have their ears peirced in our culture look quite tacky and cheap- also, seeing as it's purely superficial I find it an odd concept as when they're tiddlers you tend to try and eliminate any possible exposure to unnecessary germs. But of course that's only my opinion.

It doesn't really effect me though so who am I to preach to someone how to raise their kid? I'm sure some of my parenting techniques rustle a few jimmies (omgz baby reins amirite???)

I think we should all just carry on living our lives and not dwell on the parallels between parenting styles.

Nobody really knows what they're doing anyways
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Noooway wrote: »
    Personally I think babies who have their ears peirced in our culture look quite tacky and cheap- also, seeing as it's purely superficial I find it an odd concept as when they're tiddlers you tend to try and eliminate any possible exposure to unnecessary germs. But of course that's only my opinion.

It doesn't really effect me though so who am I to preach to someone how to raise their kid? I'm sure some of my parenting techniques rustle a few jimmies (omgz baby reins amirite???)

I think we should all just carry on living our lives and not dwell on the parallels between parenting styles.

The truest thing on the thread
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Babies and young children are beautiful and perfect. Do people who have their babies ears pierced look at them and think 'hmmm, somethings missing...I know, I'll put tacky jewellery on them!' :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noooway wrote: »

The only people you should worry and care about are your own family .
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A debate on “Victoria Derbyshire” currently where some parents are arguing they should have the right to be able to pierce their babies/children’s ears. One just argued it’s better as a baby because they don’t fiddle with it as much and it heals quicker.

Am I the only one who thinks this is madness that parents are even considering this?

Heres how I see it. Getting a piercing is a statement/choice. It serves no purpose. Dressing up a child at least serves a purpose in that they're wearing clothing that they require. But a piercing has no purpose. So the parent(s) are effectively making a decision to pierce their child and put some metal there purely for the reason of how they will look. It's the parent decision. The child has no say and they're not old enough to make a judgement even if they did have a say.

Crazy. Petition against it: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jun/10/thousands-sign-petition-calling-for-ban-on-childrens-ear-piercings

I genuinely believe parents doing this is shameful and an utter disgrace. Causing pain in an innocent child for vanity purposes is unforgivable and feckless. A member of my family did this and I was really annoyed about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I genuinely believe parents doing this is shameful and an utter disgrace. Causing pain in an innocent child for vanity purposes is unforgivable and feckless. A member of my family did this and I was really annoyed about it.

You are of course entitled to your beliefs, genuine as I am sure they are. However you are not entitled to impose them on anyone else. Have your own children and treat their ears as you see fit. Beyond that mind your own business.

(This comment is directed at many on this thread not just you greg - just to be clear)
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    You are of course entitled to your beliefs, genuine as I am sure they are. However you are not entitled to impose them on anyone else. Have your own children and treat their ears as you see fit. Beyond that mind your own business.

(This comment is directed at many on this thread not just you greg - just to be clear)

I don't agree with it and think it is very chavy as well. When the girl is old enough to want to do it herself then it is ok NOT before. And don't get me started about boys with earrings it is ridiculous.